Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mini mechanical fuel pump?

Figures, the 350 mechanical pump is just too tight for my frame. Does anybody know if there is such a product that will replace my current stock pump (from an 86 g30 van) that is smaller?

I already had to buy a mini starter as the stock solenoid was in the way also.

My searches have come up empty for a "mini/small mechanical pump." I am also just considering buying a small inline electric pump. Any experiences on this type?

My project is nothing special, stock 350, 700r4 trans and in the area of a budget build at this time.

Thanks for the thoughts!

The inline electric is an excellent choice. You may want to invest in a fuel pressure regulator with the purchase.
It can be wired independently or with the ignition switch.
You can send that 67 on down to Alabama. One of my favorite autos.

You might look into a early 327 pump. I plan on using a '66 327 pump because it doesn't have a vapor canister connection. That may give you a small amount of room on the bottom of the pump.

Have you given any thought to notching the frame and then boxing it to clear a stock pump? That is what I did on my car because I wanted to keep thing simple if I ever broke down somewhere. By that I mean, you can get a stock pump for a Chevy just about ANYWHERE. Check out the attached picture.

Jim

Jim with the notch frame are you able to still pull the pump with motor bolted in or do you have to lift motor up to replace it? Last thing is how wide is the inside of your frame . Thanks Dino

Jim with the notch frame are you able to still pull the pump with motor bolted in or do you have to lift motor up to replace it? Last thing is how wide is the inside of your frame . Thanks Dino

As close as I can measure it seems to be about 20 1/2" and the rails are 1 1/2" wide. I can also remove the pump without raising the engine.

Jim

As close as I can measure it seems to be about 20 1/2" and the rails are 1 1/2" wide. I can also remove the pump without raising the engine.

Jim

I have decided to run a mechanical pump. My frame is 22" inside to inside, Do you think a mechanical should clear on mine by chance before i order it.

OR will somebody tell me what the dimension is from the block to the outside of your pump please ? It is a SBC engine.

My engine is mounted a little higher than some , I ran a holley mech. pump w/ 20 1/2" +-, at 22" you should be fine.
dave
make sure you get a pump w/ a clockable lower housing.

I have decided to run a mechanical pump. My frame is 22" inside to inside, Do you think a mechanical should clear on mine by chance before i order it.

OR will somebody tell me what the dimension is from the block to the outside of your pump please ? It is a SBC engine.

From the mounting surface to the outside of the pump I measure 4".

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back