Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Modified vs. standard 49-54 Chevy spindles

So I purchased the frame, front axle and Chevy spindles from a friend who ran out of time for the project. He purchased the stuff from RPM. I want to use Ford wheels so I purchased the hub and brake kit for 5 on 4.5, However when I went to put the hubs on the inner bearing doesn't match up with where the dust seal locates. My assumption would be that I have unmodified spindles? Next question, should I just get the modified spindles or can I just have a friend machine them down.....anyone know what gets machined? Is is just the shoulder where the inner bearing stops?

Justin

Seems to me in the early days Chevy spindles were modified to fit wire wheels. Ron may have more info on what you need. He sells all kinds of stuff and is good to work with. Good luck.

If this is speedway's kit ??? there is some machining that needs to be done to stock chevy spindles , also a spacer for the inner seal has to be welded on....at least it's how mine was 17 years ago ...

i got a speeway kit on mine with Chevy Spindels,you need to change the inner bearing and race ,witch is included in kit

If this is speedway's kit ??? there is some machining that needs to be done to stock chevy spindles , also a spacer for the inner seal has to be welded on....at least it's how mine was 17 years ago ...
I think you might be onto something with the welded spacers. The instructions/parts sheet is pretty vague, but it did indicate the spacers. I talked to Ron and he said the spindles are most likely modified already so I got that going. I will try to dig a little more this weekend.

Justin

i got a speeway kit on mine with Chevy Spindels,you need to change the inner bearing and race ,witch is included in kit
So I went through the parts breakdown and instruction sheet very carefully. I discovered that there are already races in the hubs. Are you saying that the races that are in the hubs already need to come out and the ones that come individually in the kit need to be put in their place? The spindles that I have were modified Chevy spindles and the kit was specific to those modified spindles.

Justin

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Jim

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Jim
Yea, when you run out of other options some times a guy has to break down and read them. I actually did initially but they don't really tell you anything as they are basically a parts list. I was just surprised to see that there was already races in the hubs, and individually packaged inner and outer races/ bearings. It also came with spacers for unmodified spindles. To add to the confusion I wasn't the original purchaser of the spindles, so I wasn't exactly sure what I had. I am still wondering if the races that were already in the hubs are the same as the ones that came with. The bearings seemed to fit nicely, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a minute difference. I think I will give speedway a call next week and check just to make sure.

Justin

Yea, when you run out of other options some times a guy has to break down and read them. I actually did initially but they don't really tell you anything as they are basically a parts list. I was just surprised to see that there was already races in the hubs, and individually packaged inner and outer races/ bearings. It also came with spacers for unmodified spindles. To add to the confusion I wasn't the original purchaser of the spindles, so I wasn't exactly sure what I had. I am still wondering if the races that were already in the hubs are the same as the ones that came with. The bearings seemed to fit nicely, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a minute difference. I think I will give speedway a call next week and check just to make sure.

Justin
The bearing thing has become confusing. I remember when every bearing came with a race, or cup, and you never mixed one cone with another cup... always changed the race with the bearing... now they sell them seperate, especially for differential pinion applications. It makes me scratch my head and wonder...

I ended up calling speedway, the bearing races that are in the hubs need to come out and the ones sent with the kit need to be used. Glad I called!

So I played with the front end a bit today, and started mocking some things up. Has anyone had to grind the brake caliper bracket to get it to mate properly with the caliper? I also discovered that I might have my spindles on upside down... I was told that the longer portion of the spindle goes down, any other way to tell? So frustrating

Justin

So I played with the front end a bit today, and started mocking some things up. Has anyone had to grind the brake caliper bracket to get it to mate properly with the caliper? I also discovered that I might have my spindles on upside down... I was told that the longer portion of the spindle goes down, any other way to tell? So frustrating

Justin
I have to modify mine a bit, but they are Ford spindles with wintech caliper brackets. The bolt holes are ok, but the bracket needs clearance a little for them to line up.

If you put the spindles on ant it points horizontal with the ground you are good. The thrust bearing goes on bottom of axle boss.

Thanks Spanky, I had that sheet already though. I put them on as the diagram showed with the bearing on the bottom and shims on top, they seem to fit real nice. As for the orientation of top and bottom, the only thing that I could tell was different as far as orientation was the keyway at the end of the spindle. The diagram shows up, but the tech at speedway said that was not necessary correct.... Life has kept me out of the shop for the last couple days, but I hope to sneak out there tomorrow night for a bit to figure this out.

Justin

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back