Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mono-Leaf question

Well, I did some calculating last night...combined with a lot of rounding and guestimating. I was able to come up with a ballpark figure for the unsprung weight of around 500 lbs.

1500 total weight
-500 Unsprung weight
------
1000 Sprung weight
-425 Engine & 50% Transmission weight(allocated to front)
------
575 Remaining weight
/2 Split 50/50 between front and rear
------
288 Allocated to front
+425 Engine & Transmission allocated to the front
------
713 lbs sprung weight allocated to the front suspension
/450 lb spring rate
------
1.584" of used spring travel

3.625" unloaded underside spring arch
-1.584" used spring travel
--------
2.041" ~ 2" remaining spring travel without reversing the arch of the spring

I have no idea if this is realistic or not, but it seems so <shrug>

Last edited:
The mono spring I'd bought from Speedway turned out to be 1/2" longer than advertised.

Doesn't sound like much, but it put my shackles at wrong angle.

I ended up getting one from these guys.

Interesting...I hope the one I got from them is the right length.

If it helps any, I have a 2200 lb. T-bucket with a 650 lb. 409 engine sitting on my mono spring.

If it helps any, I have a 2200 lb. T-bucket with a 650 lb. 409 engine sitting on my mono spring.
Do you have a feel for how much the spring is deflected, with no load other than the weight of the car?

Do you have a feel for how much the spring is deflected, with no load other than the weight of the car?
No, it has been too long since I put it all together.

This info may be too late to be of any help, but here goes. My 101" WB bucket weighs 1640 with fluids and has an unloaded weight distribution of 57% rear (920#) and 43% front (720#). When it is loaded with 420 # of human flesh, that distribution changes to 61% rear and 39% front. These are actual scale numbers. I was quite frankly surprised that the rear was as heavy as it is. Build details include 4 cyl, auto trans, mono leaf front, Speedway medium arch rear, tube shocks rear, adjustable Ford lever shocks front. I would describe the ride as harsh, and I have yet to deal with the front wheel tramp issue. My speed is currently limited to around 40 mph. In talking with other bucket owners at the NSRA Nats, many will admit that their cars don't ride very well. On a positive note, the car corners like a go-kart.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back