Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Budget Traditional T Build

Thanks. It worked out great, except beware... The box said its 11 gallons but it only holds 8. Not even close to 11. That really cut into the range I was hoping for and didn't make me happy. Maybe they measure air different than liquid? I thought a gallon was a gallon...

Using the measurements off HF website.....i.d. approx 12" and length at approx 22.5" .....rough calculations come out about 11 gals. Curvature of ends would cause some variation but length used was reduced by 3/8" to allow for that.

The question being...is it really the size quoted on website?

Yes, those are the measurements. But I tried with two different gas pumps and it was the same. The last time it had maybe a half gallon or so in it and it took just under 8 gallons to fill. I didn't fill it to the very tippy top, so maybe there was room for a couple more quarts. Still not close to 11 gallons.

Next time you start to fill it, measure the depth of the remaining gas (insuring the car is level side to side). With that measurement, we can calculate the exact amount of fuel remaining and add to the fill-up amount to get total capacity.

The level was just at the very top of the bottom brass fitting so you could barely see any fuel in the sight glass (yes I cut it VERY close getting to the gas station). That is 1-3/4" from the bottom. As I remember, it took 7.8 gallons to fill to about the same amount from the top.

IMG_20140920_211631231_HDR (507x900).jpg

OK...that space at the bottom and top calculates to 1 gallon(0.995) each. That 2 gallons plus the 8 on fill-up and we are only missing 1 elusive gallon. I estimated the thickness of the tank for the inside dimensions. A little less thickness and there is our missing gallon. LOL

OK...that space at the bottom and top calculates to 1 gallon(0.995) each. That 2 gallons plus the 8 on fill-up and we are only missing 1 elusive gallon. I estimated the thickness of the tank for the inside dimensions. A little less thickness and there is our missing gallon. LOL
Ha ha, wow! I would never have guessed that would be 2 gallons in those small spaces. Well, that clears it up. Thanks for your help!

Looking to build a gas tank out of a 10gal air tank but the air tank does not have a baffle. Do I need one?

Thanks for the reply . I will be running a carburetor.
You don't have to have a baffle with a carb, but depending on the location of the outlet, you could have the potential of fuel starvation on a turn or extreme uneven road if the fuel level was low. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, I would and usually do keep my fuel tank full to prevent condensation or at least not empty when I travel. If you are just cruising in it, you will likely never notice the difference. Just my opinion, There may be someone with more experience with some wisdom I overlooked, but with a carb, you have fuel in the bowls, so even if you did have a momentary fuel starvation caused by sloshing, the motor would not see it. Not so with EFI.

I want to say I too really enjoyed reading about your build and your answers to my questions are always a big help to me. Thanks for taking the time to detail your build for all of us to see. The interior is one of those daunting task that I am not looking forward to. But after reading your build and asking a couple questions I am getting a bit of a plan together for that part of the build. Thanks again!

I joined this forum last year to get ideas for the bucket I plan to one day build. I have read thru your entire project and you did just a marvelous job from beginning to end.

One thing I did not see was a description of how you laid out or applied the checkerboard pattern on the firewall. I am assuming that it is white paint over the black. What size are the squares? The size, position, and look is perfect in my eyes.

Again, great job!

I joined this forum last year to get ideas for the bucket I plan to one day build. I have read thru your entire project and you did just a marvelous job from beginning to end.

One thing I did not see was a description of how you laid out or applied the checkerboard pattern on the firewall. I am assuming that it is white paint over the black. What size are the squares? The size, position, and look is perfect in my eyes.

Again, great job!
Thanks for the compliments! The checkerboard is a digital print applied to self adhesive vinyl (I work at a sign shop) with a clear vinyl laminate to protect it. I applied it to the painted fire wall. As a result it's nice & smooth with no edges. The squares are about 1-3/4" (1.81"). That size just looked right to me while designing it, hence the nice round number, lol.

The checkerboard is a digital print applied to self adhesive vinyl with a clear vinyl laminate to protect it. I applied it to the painted fire wall. As a result it's nice & smooth with no edges. The squares are about 1-3/4" (1.81"). That size just looked right to me while designing it.
This sounds like something any sign shop that does vinyl could do, correct? And adjust the size of the squares at design/layout time if needed? I had only seen this done with paint which requires extensive masking, cutting, and striping. And you are limited by the std tape widths (1", 1 1/2", etc.). And then the other color of paint has to go on, tape removed, touch-up... I think you really came up with a great solution that saved you a lot of work!

One other question, how has it held up? Does the heat from the engine cause any problems (lifting, bubbling, peeling)?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back