Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Budget Traditional T Build

If you could, if weather permits, a few glamor shots would be really nice. Just to show off all the details. Include the 55 for either comparisons or examples of the differences.

Any way you slice it, nice job. Look forward to more pics and "war" stories.

John

Ok, here are a couple I took Sunday. They're not the greatest (from my phone) but I'll try to get better ones soon. Thanks!

Last edited:
I just started building my first T bucket. After seeing your pictures and reading all the posts I am ready to get after it. So far I got the body. (From Spirit Ind.) The frame is 2x3 x .188, and is all tacked together. I picked up a 350 4bolt out of a 74 Chevy pick up truck. Found a TH350 for $150. Got a rear axle out of a Chevy s10 ZR2. 373 posi traction. It's a little long at 63" but I have some Camaro 15 x 8 wheels with a 7" backspace. If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be tickled pink. I gave the frame a 10 1/2 inch kick up, to keep it low. How tall is your kick up? Did I get carried away?

O.K., the T is finished (for all intents & purposes). Looks good. Equal to the Chev.

But you have another project you REALLY want to start. The new project requires that one of the present cars must go ( to finance the next ).

Which one goes?

John

I just started building my first T bucket. After seeing your pictures and reading all the posts I am ready to get after it. So far I got the body. (From Spirit Ind.) The frame is 2x3 x .188, and is all tacked together. I picked up a 350 4bolt out of a 74 Chevy pick up truck. Found a TH350 for $150. Got a rear axle out of a Chevy s10 ZR2. 373 posi traction. It's a little long at 63" but I have some Camaro 15 x 8 wheels with a 7" backspace. If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be tickled pink. I gave the frame a 10 1/2 inch kick up, to keep it low. How tall is your kick up? Did I get carried away?
It sounds like a cool project you have going. Depending how you measure it, my kick up is 9-1/2" from top of rail to top of rail... Or, 6-1/2" from top of front rail to bottom of rear rail... Or, 12-1/2" total height (3" frame rail). My frame is the same dimensions/thickness as yours. Just keep in mind, the lower you make it, the more complicated the build gets and more modifications are needed. Also, more room is lost in the cockpit. But it's worth it if you like the look. I do like the look but I went for a sort of compromise between normal height and really low. This way I can keep most of the comfort and simplify the build as much as I can, but have a lower look than normal.

O.K., the T is finished (for all intents & purposes). Looks good. Equal to the Chev.

But you have another project you REALLY want to start. The new project requires that one of the present cars must go ( to finance the next ).

Which one goes?

John
That's a tough one. Because of the generally cold, rainy climate here I would have to say the bucket has to go. Only because it's a very limited use vehicle here. If I was in SoCal, that would make the choice much harder...

The car won another trophy Tuesday night, this time for "Best Engine". I'm constantly amazed at the positive responses from this car. I guess it's because there just aren't many around here and everyone seems to be totally smitten with it, lol. There was almost always a few people gathered. One of the judges shook my hand and thanked me for building it "right". We all know there's no right or wrong with design, but it's nice to get the compliment anyway.

The car won another trophy Tuesday night, this time for "Best Engine". I'm constantly amazed at the positive responses from this car. I guess it's because there just aren't many around here and everyone seems to be totally smitten with it, lol. There was almost always a few people gathered. One of the judges shook my hand and thanked me for building it "right". We all know there's no right or wrong with design, but it's nice to get the compliment anyway.

Don't sell yourself short Mr Bob your car is awesome! I'm sure there are not too many roadster hot rods around but they flock to it because it's a bitchin ride! I'm sure what he meant by "right" is that so many old school looking cars have gone "rat" with piss poor engineering and slapped together these days, and you have a well engineered safe car. I love rats when done right but geeez some of the crap I've seen! You especially made a great choice with that steering wheel. It really does just make the car pop. Amazing how just a few simple details can stand out so much, especially in an open wheel roadster where you see EVERYTHING. Hope mine turns out near as nice!

That warms the soul during our polar vortex! Dreaming of a warm sunny day with the breeze blowing in your hair and the sound of a small block chevy!

Define expensive........... You can buy them off a used dune buggy for cheap.

You can go here for used ones on a vw website.............. www.thesamba.com

here is a 11 gallon one for a $100 bill,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1451525

And sweet build, AT least the headlights on the camaro wont run out of juice. haha
Yea, I was going to say that I had never seen one with dual batteries!...If you find air brake tanks from a big truck, they are about the same size as my dune buggy fuel tank. That seems like a lot of work to save 100.00-200.00 though.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back