Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I know that everyone is just trying to help and I appreciate the input. I've done a lot of research before going this route, I know the windshield will wear out at some point. But the way I see it, when it gets too scratched or yellowed from the elements, I'll just order a new one, shipped right to my door ready to put on for less than it would cost to get a glass windshield put in. Glass windshields need to be replaced when they get cracked, and it wouldn't be near as easy to replace. This is just my opinion. Plus I just think this looks cool. With these windshield posts, glass just wouldn't be practical.

Flat windshield glass is cheap. Just replaced mine at a cost of 87.00 including labor that was 30.00. Windshield is 20x 41 inches. At high speeds, windshield 'moves' but only because of the short uprights, and no struts to w/s frame. IMHO glass is a lot safer than any kind of 'plastic'.

Flat windshield glass is cheap. Just replaced mine at a cost of 87.00 including labor that was 30.00. Windshield is 20x 41 inches. At high speeds, windshield 'moves' but only because of the short uprights, and no struts to w/s frame. IMHO glass is a lot safer than any kind of 'plastic'.
Safer? I'm not sure. Watch this video that shows the strength of the Lexan MR10. Skip to 3:15 if you want to see the sledge hammer test. I've had a ball bearing the size of a marble bust through my modern car's windshield and hit me in the chest. I don't really want that happening again.

OK, maybe more traditional and easier to get at 'most' glass shops. My bad, I just don't like 'plexi' anything.

No problem, everyone has their opinion. I for one am not much a fan of anything traditional. I like to do different things you wouldn't normally see. There also won't be a frame on the edge of the windshield. Which is another reason I'm going with this material. It's crazy strong, yet easy to work with. I'm going to drill 4 holes in it to mount it to the posts. Wouldn't do that with glass.

Safer? I'm not sure. Watch this video that shows the strength of the Lexan MR10. Skip to 3:15 if you want to see the sledge hammer test. I've had a ball bearing the size of a marble bust through my modern car's windshield and hit me in the chest. I don't really want that happening again.

That's pretty amazing. I'm convinced!

I'd check with the DOT about using Lexan in the windshield. I know in Texas part of the inspection is having the safety glass seal on the windshield.

Check out Nehr Speedcraft website. They use the type windshield posts your using including the center post. They seem to have sold the cars all over the country and they use some form of lexan or plexi, Might be worth a looksee. I use windshield glass in my cars just my opinion and makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside. The biggest problem we have around here would be whitetail deer, my biggest fear, I don't think either would help in that case!!

Check out Nehr Speedcraft website. They use the type windshield posts your using including the center post. They seem to have sold the cars all over the country and they use some form of lexan or plexi, Might be worth a looksee. I use windshield glass in my cars just my opinion and makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside. The biggest problem we have around here would be whitetail deer, my biggest fear, I don't think either would help in that case!!
That's where I got the idea from for the windshield design. They have some cool ideas. I didn't want to say their name cause I don't know the rules on that... But I guess it doesn't hurt to give credit where it's due!

Watching this closely, its looking good. Will you post the total $ spent when you get done, i'm not being nosey just curious as I plan on starting mine shortly. Thanks for the postings.

If quarter inch Lexan is used, I really doubt if is would break from impact, unless it was really cold. Without a top frame it would flex quite a bit. The big problem is scratching unless it has a hard coat surface like they use on motorcycle windshields.Plexiglas would not even be a consideration for a windshield. A lot ins of the drive thru banks have laminated Lexan to stop unwanted bullet penetration. It will stop a 45 caliber.
Lee

Yeah I will post the total when I'm done. So far I'm about $5,000 in. I'm trying to keep it under $6,000.
I tried keeping mine under under $5k...then $6k...then $7k...It's just not working out, lol. I guess the old adage, "double your estimate" is true...

I've had a hard-coated Lexan windshield on my motorcycle for the last 30k miles. It's spent a lot of time outdoors, parked under the hot Texas sun, but it's held up well. It does have a few scratches here and there, but they're minor. OTOH, I don't think it would work so well with windshield wipers...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back