Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need SBC Decoding Help

rbsWELDER

After a very troubling year, in 2017, with a wide variety of malfunctions, 2018 has been issue free, until now. It appears that I have a good size leak from my Rear Main Seal on my small block chevy. I called a friend to get alternatives on fixing it and he wanted to know the vintage of the engine.

I put a quick call into Tim Lyon and his recollection was that it may have been from a 1972 Chevy Suburban, but to look up the date code for sure. To me, the date code reads: VO6191DJ, picture below. I have tried several different websites to decode this, but I am getting something wrong. To me the second digit looks like an "O" not a zero. If it is a zero, then the last three characters "IDJ" are not in any of the references that I have found. I have also added a copy of the casting number, 3970010.

Can one of you Chevy guys help me on on decoding this?

Thanks in advance!
file.php

file.php

I don’t know off the top of my head what all those numbers mean, but the 397 010 tells me it’s a gen 2 sbc pre 86, I believe, with a two piece rear main seal. Chevy used the same two piece rear seal from 59-85 for i6, v6, and v8 engines. If you decide to just replace the seal, pay close attention to the crank shaft. They get a groove worn into them by the seal. There are repair sleeves and offset seals to remedy this. Also, when installing the new seal, do it so the parting lines of the seal are not in line with the parting lines of the rear main cap and block. Obviously inspect the main bearings too.

The VO6191DJ looks like the engine stamp code, it says which plant it was assembled at, the month and day built and vehicle type. V means it was built in Flint Michigan.

Last edited:
The only thing that the builder told me about the heads was they were "Tight Chambered Heads 58cc", whatever that means.

So far I have:
V=Flint
06=June
19=19th day
IDJ=?????????

The only thing that the builder told me about the heads was they were "Tight Chambered Heads 58cc", whatever that means.
The builder might mean they are closed chambered heads, which are more oval and compact than open. That should be a "1" before the DJ suffix....

Last edited:
I found a chart with the DJ suffix....it appears to be for an A body Chevy.....like a Chevelle, or many models from '64-81.

Like Ron and other have said the 3970010 bolt is 1969-1979 car and truck 2 bolt or 4 bolt mostly 4 bolt --4inch bore 2 pcs seal -- number 010 020 in the timing chain area may indict a high nickel block from heavy duty apps --this was a popular block in its day .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back