Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need some aluminum

Track T-4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm looking for a source of aluminum to make a gauge bezel - need 4" x 24" and 1/8" thick. Any recommendations on what type of aluminum to use? Also, I haven't found a local source and am wondering if anyone has purchased this type of material on-line and found a good source?

Thanks.

Check with any large sign co. around.
they will have scrap they could sell cheap...

Track T-4 said:
I'm looking for a source of aluminum to make a gauge bezel - need 4" x 24" and 1/8" thick. Any recommendations on what type of aluminum to use? Also, I haven't found a local source and am wondering if anyone has purchased this type of material on-line and found a good source?

Thanks.

I have two 12" x 12" x 1/8" sheets here that I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago. Don't remember why I bought them but they have been taking up space for awhile. They are too short for what you want to do but they are free to good home. Just reimburse my postage/UPS costs.

old street signs will work.thats what i used on my firewall and fan shroud.but they are a pain to polish.i worked with mine for hours and still didn't end up with what i would call real good but they turned out ok.i will look tomar i might have what you need in good aluminum it may have a scratch or two.but its free if i have it and you want it.

When I was racing a few of the cars used Highway signs. Saw some get upside down with "I-94 West" on them. LOL:lol:

v8danh said:
old street signs will work.thats what i used on my firewall and fan shroud.but they are a pain to polish.i worked with mine for hours and still didn't end up with what i would call real good but they turned out ok.i will look tomar i might have what you need in good aluminum it may have a scratch or two.but its free if i have it and you want it.
sorry the piece of aluminum i had in mind was allready gone.:sad:i saw it at work a while back but i guess someone else needed it or it got thrown away or sumthin.

All,

Thanks for your suggestions and offers. Are street signs made of aluminum, I thought they were stainless?

Steve,

I sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer, I'll be able to use the material in other places. I owe you one.

ive bought from a source on ebay and was treated well bought a square of 1"x 13" x 13" 6061A for $75 shipped to my door made a transmission adapter out of it :cool:

I want to make a gauge bezel - 1/8" x 4" x 24" - but am not sure about the various grades - 3003, 5052, 6061, ec. What's the difference between the gardes and is there any reason to lean towards one or the other for this appication? :confused::confused:

Track T-4 said:
All,

Thanks for your suggestions and offers. Are street signs made of aluminum, I thought they were stainless?

Not real sure but, IIRC they are made mostly of aluminum with a little steel alloy in the mix to give some strenght.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back