Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need Tube axle how-to

22rdstrguy

Help ! I would like to make an axle asap,so I am looking to buy (interact or paypal) the CCR Plans to making a front axle (need the jig design) , if anyone could mail or email me a set it would be very much appreciated.
I have the intentions of building one like the axle on the T (Mike Mason's) in my avatar.Here is a closer pic.

22rdstrguy said:
Help ! I would like to make an axle asap,so I am looking to buy (interact or paypal) the CCR Plans to making a front axle (need the jig design) , if anyone could mail or email me a set it would be very much appreciated.
I have the intentions of building one like the axle on the T (Mike Mason's) in my avatar.Here is a closer pic.

I would if you would post an Email addy.

Email me at tbucket@comcast.net

Re: Need Tube axle how-to/ RPM is #1

A Big Thanks to Ron , RPM is :cool::cool:!!

(it means double cool, I'm-m-ma n-n-n-not s-s-stut-t-t-tering)

butch27 said:
WOW: That is one DROPPED axle!!

Yep it sure is, 9'' drop to be exact, Mike made it himself. It's actually sloped back so it really is about a 6'' drop. But it sure makes for a Wild Lookin' Axle!

I had an old set of the tube plans but saw no way to make an axle with a torch as it recommened. If you can bend the tubing the rest is fairly simple. Think I used large end mill and set the machine at 9 degrees to make the pocket and than made a boss and welded it on. Here are pics of the last one I made ( I know I should not let things like this set around but I have got finish the other one before I can get back to this one).
Oh and by the way unlesss you do these often it may be better to buy one from some one that does but that is just my opinion.
Randall

DSCF1029.jpg

DSCF1030.jpg

Since you mentioned jigs, here is what I made to do axles. The first one is for notching the main tube for the kingpin boss. The photo is of a finished axle that I had laying around and I stuck it in the jig just to show how it works.

AxleJig006.jpg

The second one is for the welding. There is one of these fixtures on the other end of the rectangular tube also. I build the axle upside down to keep the distance from the backbone to the kingpin boss to a minimum. Deep drops are no problem that way. The tapered seats for the kingpin boss and the smaller diameter in the bore, make disassembly much easier when the welding is done.

FrontAxleJig.jpg

The axle shown is a 2" x .250" wall D.O.M. tube and it really strains my bender to do it. As a matter of fact, I have to add some cheaters to the arms to get enough leverage to do it.

Hope this helps you. :D

Ron,
It is mostly a home brew with the die sets coming from Hossfeld. I've got die sets from 5/8" to 2" in 1/8" increments with the exception of 1-7/8" and I've never had any need for that size. On several different sizes, I have multiple radii. For instance, on 1-1/2" I have 3", 4", 5", 5-3/4", 6", and 7-1/2". Also have a couple sets for pipe and square.

DSCN1671.jpg

Over the last 35+ years, it has done a lot of bends, probably several hundred thousand. Here is what it has done over the last few days:

RoadsterShopXMU.jpg

Ron, I have an old Hosfield manual bender I bend 1 3/4 x 1/4 tube. I think 2" dies are available. How do you bend the axles you make?

Thanks a lot Tbucit & GAB (I like the jig you've made..me thinks it's a gonna get copied) I have a friend that has access to machine shop and also another friend whose bro.inlaw works at an "modern" machine shop. So I'm not going to even try to notch the ends with a torch, I just want do up the jig and what ever needs to be 1/2 way set up and then leave it to the Pro's with the proper equipment. I'll then do the welding.

Thanks again to RPM, Tbucit, GAB, you all have been a big help.

22rdstrguy,

I thought that I had a photo of the car that is in your avatar. I took this one at the Street Rod Nationals in St. Paul in about '73 or '74. That axle certainly does leave an impression! I wonder if in it's previous life it didn't live on the front of a dragster ? :rofl:

DeepDropAxle.jpg

Holy smokes GAB ,that's a great straight on shot :cool:! Do you have or any more shots? Or any of your buds that might have been with you at the Nats have any other shots?

As for the axle ,Mike Mason made it himself .I talked with him last year on the phone, Mike is a super nice guy, he gave me some more pics and even one of the car during the beginning of the (re)build. I'll post some of the pics I got from him sometime soon.

Obviously I am in LOVE with that rod :drool:. If I could find it I would ask the owner " if I got al sweaty & naked and it stuck to me ,could I keep it?"

I' sure he'd :rofl:, then I could steal it!!

That pic was taken after the rebuild. When Mike first built the car, he used a tri-angular lower bar on the front. It didn't work out. I'm not certain but that might be a different axle than the one he started with. In this version he used a 4 bar set up. The original build was also with a Buick V-6. The paint on this car was outstanding for the day. I think it was done by Kerry Wiesner. It was a candy red with multi-colored flames. As I remember, the interior was done by Gary Woods as was the top. The windshield was a '32 narrowed to fit the narrowed body.

Mike was one of the 10 founding members of the Minnesota Street Rod Assoc. (MSRA). He is still listed in the '08 yearbook. You might be able to find the car by running an add in their news letter (The Linechaser). The editor is Sandy Felde, e-mail;sandy@linechaser.org

Ron

Youngster said:
That pic was taken after the rebuild. When Mike first built the car, he used a tri-angular lower bar on the front. It didn't work out. I'm not certain but that might be a different axle than the one he started with. In this version he used a 4 bar set up. The original build was also with a Buick V-6.

Sorry Ron, I beg to differ & I hate to start an argument....ah never mind:D, I'll let the pics speak for them selves (V-6 version of the car 1st) Oh damit! Now here I go :rulz: ,if you look at GABs pic you can see the triangulated axle strut (panhard rod) mounts just on each side of the L.plate(the center is hidden the plate),you can see the strut from the side in a photo that I got from Mike, it's parked beside his '20 T(which he still has) at a run in'79 , I believe it always had the 4 bar front rods on as you can see them on the '71 build picture .Notice that there is a V8 emblem on the grille even when there is a V6 in it.

V-6stage.jpg

V-8 stage:

Save0002.jpg

Save0006.jpg

And one of the rarest photos of this car (V6 stage) ,the inprogress shot ('71 at the Amblers cc garage):

Buildin71.jpg

Do you have anymore pics of that 1920 T?Looks alot like my Total Aniversary Body.

Sure wish you had some bigger ones thats a hot little car

I stand corrected. I was recalling from menory. Guess it's a little cloudy after 35 years. He did have trouble with the heim joint on the axle though. There was some sort of binding going on there. GAB's pic was after the V-8 was installed though. I don't think he ever had the blower on the V-6. Seems to me he had to lengthen the frame for the V-8 too. Again, this is from memory.

This is a discussion, not an argument. You're refreshing my memories of this great little burner. :eek:

Ron

Rick...I think thats one of Woods' CCW bodies. The back cover add that Street Rodder ran for a while for Hurst is also one of them.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back