Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

NEW GUY HERE!! Fred from Philly

So since I bought my home and have an empty garage I thought it would be cool to build/restore a car from just a shell. Just an attempt at some quality bonding with my wife and hands. Well as with life it's funny the people we meet. The other day I met a man who built his own T BUCKET from the ground up and he told me the T BUCKET was probably the best place to start. So any INFO on how to start or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I downloaded today "Youngsters T BUCKET FRAMES" But read right after that it is in my best interest to have a professional build my frame. Already just reading posts I am learning and greatly appreciate it.

P.S Extremely amazed at the work you I am seeing on here by the way.

Sincerely a NEW FAN, FRED
hey freddiroc its tim ! you transported my daughter franki to the hospital! Im glad you made it to this forum. Its awsome here. Let me know if you need help with that frame!

Tim

hey freddiroc its tim ! you transported my daughter franki to the hospital! Im glad you made it to this forum. Its awsome here. Let me know if you need help with that frame!

Tim
Hey Tim only made it here because of you. Truly am grateful as well. I was on Craigslist and found a frame and front suspension for 800 bucks. Deal or no deal? And what should I look for when looking at the frame. It's actually in jersey so not too far from me to just go pick up and save on shipping.

nj.jpg

nj1.jpg

This one? That is one heck of a deal there. Looks like a CCR style frame.

Just contact CCR (California Custom Roadsters) they have the frame brackets, shocks(coil overs) and axle brackets for it. Cut off the buggy spring mount and install the new brackets.

P.S. If you do buy it, make sure you get a LEGAL bill of sales!

Just contact CCR (California Custom Roadsters) they have the frame brackets, shocks(coil overs) and axle brackets for it. Cut off the buggy spring mount and install the new brackets.

P.S. If you do buy it, make sure you get a LEGAL bill of sales!

Legal bill of sale?

Hey Tim only made it here because of you. Truly am grateful as well. I was on Craigslist and found a frame and front suspension for 800 bucks. Deal or no deal? And what should I look for when looking at the frame. It's actually in jersey so not too far from me to just go pick up and save on shipping.

The metal to build my frame only cost me $110.00. A good front end will cost about 300-400 if you have to buy it! You can also build the front end! I actually thinking of going and using airbags! Trying for a smoother ride!

I perfer to build my own! if you add it all up in the end figuring everything you are going to buy, then figure the price to build it ! Well its not to hard to figure out , put them hands and brain to work because when you stand back at the end you can say "Ibuilt that , WOW".

The metal to build my frame only cost me $110.00. A good front end will cost about 300-400 if you have to buy it! You can also build the front end! I actually thinking of going and using airbags! Trying for a smoother ride!

I perfer to build my own! if you add it all up in the end figuring everything you are going to buy, then figure the price to build it ! Well its not to hard to figure out , put them hands and brain to work because when you stand back at the end you can say "Ibuilt that , WOW".

Freddie , if u are thinking about buying, click on the tab on the top of the home page for RPM! he has some great buys on there and i heard that his product was good!

That is a smokin' deal. I disagree about building your own frame, especially if you have never done it and have limited or no welding skills/equipment. The worst thing to come out of the rat rod craze is that every guy who has a set of Craftsman sockets now thinks he can build a car, and we all have seen some examples that are so scarey you wouldn't drive them across the parking lot, let alone down a road with your family and other families in harms way.

Freddy, the very first thing you have to do is be TOTALLY honest with yourself about your skills and what equipment you own. I am not trying to be the wet blanket here, just the voice of someone who has played with these things for over 50 years. In that time I have seen so many people start out with all this excitement in their eyes and two years later they are advertising the project on Craigslist and nobody is biting because the work is so badly done. Please don't take that personally, it is just a general statement and intended to keep you from becoming disillusioned and discouraged in the middle of the project. Any of us who have done more than one project will tell you we ALL bog down in the middle of the build and sometimes can't even stand to go out into the garage one more time. It takes a lot of time, money, and skill to turn out a safe, nice hot rod.

I always suggest that someone who has never built a car from chalk marks on the garage floor buy a finished or almost finished car the first time around. You will buy it for about half of what it would take to build a comparable car (none of us get all the money out of a car that we put into it) and with some changes you can make it your own. You will learn a lot along the way, make some mistakes, but generally be on the road a lot faster than if you build your own. It is not unusual to take 3, 4, 5, 6, or more years to build a car and you could be driving one you buy during that time, then go on to build one as you gain experience.

Finally, not everyone is a T bucket or roadster type person. We are a special breed, maybe crazy in some respects. ;) We don't mind driving in blinding rainstorms with no top, being hit in the head with Junebugs the size of 747's, and generally driving a Harley with 4 wheels. Just like not everyone is a motorcyclist, not everyone will enjoy a roadster. But for those of us who love them there is no greater thrill than firing up the motor, feeling the cam make the car shake under us, being out in the open with all the great smells and sights, and generally reliving our youth, except this time we have a few bucks to do it right.

Hope I haven't discouraged you, that is not my intention. I just want you to have all the facts going in.

Don

Legal bill of sale?

Both parties sign a dated document which which describes everything that's changing hands and the price. Keep that CL pic. too. Just don't do a "hand shake" or get a piece of paper that just says one frame. Might be over kill,but better to have it if the DMV asks for it. Ask the seller if he has a statement of origin, I don't know if they give one for a frame...

Yeah Tim I would rather buy than build or even someone who I know welds good because I'd rather someone who has built the frame and such before. But I have gone to RPM site I've talked to the wife and she's really excited so should be ordering something in the near future I hope

That is a smokin' deal. I disagree about building your own frame, especially if you have never done it and have limited or no welding skills/equipment. The worst thing to come out of the rat rod craze is that every guy who has a set of Craftsman sockets now thinks he can build a car, and we all have seen some examples that are so scarey you wouldn't drive them across the parking lot, let alone down a road with your family and other families in harms way.

Freddy, the very first thing you have to do is be TOTALLY honest with yourself about your skills and what equipment you own. I am not trying to be the wet blanket here, just the voice of someone who has played with these things for over 50 years. In that time I have seen so many people start out with all this excitement in their eyes and two years later they are advertising the project on Craigslist and nobody is biting because the work is so badly done. Please don't take that personally, it is just a general statement and intended to keep you from becoming disillusioned and discouraged in the middle of the project. Any of us who have done more than one project will tell you we ALL bog down in the middle of the build and sometimes can't even stand to go out into the garage one more time. It takes a lot of time, money, and skill to turn out a safe, nice hot rod.

I always suggest that someone who has never built a car from chalk marks on the garage floor buy a finished or almost finished car the first time around. You will buy it for about half of what it would take to build a comparable car (none of us get all the money out of a car that we put into it) and with some changes you can make it your own. You will learn a lot along the way, make some mistakes, but generally be on the road a lot faster than if you build your own. It is not unusual to take 3, 4, 5, 6, or more years to build a car and you could be driving one you buy during that time, then go on to build one as you gain experience.

Finally, not everyone is a T bucket or roadster type person. We are a special breed, maybe crazy in some respects. ;) We don't mind driving in blinding rainstorms with no top, being hit in the head with Junebugs the size of 747's, and generally driving a Harley with 4 wheels. Just like not everyone is a motorcyclist, not everyone will enjoy a roadster. But for those of us who love them there is no greater thrill than firing up the motor, feeling the cam make the car shake under us, being out in the open with all the great smells and sights, and generally reliving our youth, except this time we have a few bucks to do it right.

Hope I haven't discouraged you, that is not my intention. I just want you to have all the facts going in.

Don

You haven't discouraged me constructive criticism is always needed dont worry I wouldn't think of building the frame probably practice just for fun but never use it. Thanks for all the great tips I do look forward to riding in a storm with no care in the world. Really appreciate the insight.

Both parties sign a dated document which which describes everything that's changing hands and the price. Keep that CL pic. too. Just don't do a "hand shake" or get a piece of paper that just says one frame. Might be over kill,but better to have it if the DMV asks for it. Ask the seller if he has a statement of origin, I don't know if they give one for a frame...

Thanks now I know.

Freddy someone else here may won't what you found for sale on this site. Maybe some info on where you found it. Thats if your not interested in it.

Welcome Freddy,
I'm new here too. Have dealt with Ron at RPM a couple of times now. He is very helpful. Will be using him in the future also.

Hey Freddy! Welcome to the site. Alot of nice and smart people here ready to help. I myself bought one from ebay that i got a good deal on,then was going to put in a bigger cam when all heck broke loose. 4 Years later and countless problems and money im getting closer to having it on the road Maybe. Shoulda never tore it apart and just enjoyed the car as is. You need alot of basic tools like soldering gun,cutters,wrenches,drill and bits,hole saws ect. if you build or change anything on one you buy. So now she knows what to get you for Christmas. Good luck in your adventure and enjoy the ride. Its a hobby not a race.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back