Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Newbie with a brake problem.

t42

Got this little jewel 3 weeks ago, had shipped from Chicago. Runs like crazy but has a hard time stopping. Disc's on front [Airheart 150-1] . Had very hard pedal and not much stopping power. Had new brakes and cylinders on the back, cylinder on right side leaking and both sides froze up. Now has a little better braking but still to me has a hard pedal and not a whole lot of braking power. Is this normal with out power assist. Does anyone make a power brake booster for these 23 T's. Master cylinder is under the floor board.

Been reading a lot of info on this forum, very interesting and informative.

Also, I would like to replace the short windshield with about a 22 inch one. If I'm not going to put a top on, do I need a frame around the top half . I would like to just replace the glass. Wind is horrible at higher speed, I mean anything above 30 MPH or so.
Thankss for any help.

T42

tea for two

Welcome to the Forum. I can't give you an answer to your brake problem but I can give you an answer to your windshield question. The picture below will attest to not needing a top frame. I have known and traveled with this car for many years and there has never been any problems with not having a top frame on the windshield.

IMG_0782.jpg

Jim

First, the Airheart 150-1 calipers are kind of small. I believe from looking at various ads that they are really intended for go-karts and motorcycles. Also, they have two different pad materials available; soft and hard. The soft pads have much more braking power than the hard pad. Third, you should have a master cylinder designed for disk brakes. Fourth, what is your pedal ratio?

Brake systems have to be a total design; everything has to match up to the weight of the car, the tires and performance expectations. All too often hot rod builders just buy a collection of parts thinking that all will work fine. Many others here can tell you that it just isn't so.

So, give us all the design details of you brakes..disc diameter, master cylinder piston diameter, pedal ratio and front tire diameter. With those values we can calculate stopping force.

Thanks for both replies. Forgot to mention, the glass is 3/16, not 1/4 inch. Maybe I'll have one cut and see how it goes.
As for the brakes, I think I'll just take it to a brake shop and let them figure it out. I did pull one of the front calipers off and the pads, or puck's as I guess they're called look glazed over. Maybe I'll try to rough them up a little and see if that helps. Awesome info on this site, glad I found it.

t42

I converted from manual to power brakes and got everything I needed from CCR. Call Diane or Jerry and they will assist you if they can. Good people and very knowledgable.

Thanks, I talked to Jerry this afternoon and ordered a windshield frame. Great price, half of what Speedway wants.

T42

T42, get some photos of your brake components and e-mail them to me, I will see what we can do to help. Looks like one of our cars from the early 80's.
Also, we finished up a batch of the custom width windshield frames this evening, one of them is yours. Diane should have it shipped tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks,

Thanks, I took the pucks off this morning and roughened them up on the drive way concrete. Work a whole lot better. Just glazed over.

This may have been one of yours from the 80's, that's when it was built. Had it shipped from Chicago to Houston.

T42

Received the windshield frame on Tuesday, very fast service. Glass will be installed Thursday, $60.00, not bad.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back