Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Non traditional Lakester inspired build

c4vette

I am passionate about unique cars. I build them as a hobby. I like Hot Rods. I like Sports Cars. I decided to combine the two and build a Sport Rod. The idea is to keep it simple and light. Combine a light but stiff frame that I can sit in. I had a bunch of left over parts from other builds. I'm doing this build on the cheap.

A friend of mine owns a wrecking yard. He gave me gutted out and trashed C4 Vette. I'm using the suspension and the wheels that came with the car. I have a little 305 sbc with vortec heads, flat top pistons, lumpy cam, and an air gap intake. The Vette diff has a 2:59 ratio. I have a700r4 trans that at this time I'm thinking of using. This would give me the same gear ratios as a stock Vette. I also have a Richmond T10 that I could use.
I turned the Vette tub over and welded some 2 by 2 tubing along the frame rails. To that I made some jigs to locate the suspension pick up points.

I have a jig base from a build years ago. I tack welded the jig I took from the C4 and started. I spent some time working out dimensions and fitted everything. Then I attached foam to the frame and started to shape a body. I put this on the floor to see how it looked.
Now I am building the final frame.
The wheelbase is 102 inches.

That's gonna be cool.

Thanks for the comments. The frame is a space frame, similar to a locost frame. I'm using 1.5 by 1.5 .083 square tubing for most of it. Because of the T bucket style body and it's height I raised the side rails significantly over a Locost.

Love the look! Should be able to get 300 hp out of that little 305 with the right parts, and in that little chassis it'll be a screamer. Compression ratio will be a factor with the 350 heads. Nice work!:thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back