Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

NTBA INDY Fall Regional

Jim - That would be fun running at 85 mph. I don't know what the banking is at Charlotte, but it's considerably more than Indy's 9 degrees. I suppose that's why they were keeping us at a mild pace.:rolleyes:

AG - I've always wanted to try a sprint car. I drove stock cars off & on for over 30 years, both asphalt and dirt. Some of those days are still the highlights of my life. There is no other thrill like the adrenaline rush every time the green flag drops. I would do it again in an instant if not for the expense in both time and money.:sneaky:

Ben - Don't forget Paragon and Haubstadt. I watched Bob Kinser and Dick Gaines put on some real "tooth and nail" battles at Paragon many times back in the '60s and '70s.:thumbsup:

Fletch - If you've never seen a dirt race in person you're missing some of the best racing on wheels. I would rather see the Sprints at Putnamville or Kokomo than any NASCAR race (and I've been to lots of both).:D

I visited the museum several years ago when my wife and I were in town and I paid to take a lap riding in a bus. The idea of actually driving on the track in a T-Bucket would be a fantastic experience even at a low speed. I had no idea that non-racers were allowed to drive street cars on the track.

I visited the museum several years ago when my wife and I were in town and I paid to take a lap riding in a bus. The idea of actually driving on the track in a T-Bucket would be a fantastic experience even at a low speed. I had no idea that non-racers were allowed to drive street cars on the track.

They only allow this for special events or the yearly community day. I'll do my best to persuade them that this is worthy!

Jim - That would be fun running at 85 mph. I don't know what the banking is at Charlotte, but it's considerably more than Indy's 9 degrees. I suppose that's why they were keeping us at a mild pace.:rolleyes:

AG - I've always wanted to try a sprint car. I drove stock cars off & on for over 30 years, both asphalt and dirt. Some of those days are still the highlights of my life. There is no other thrill like the adrenaline rush every time the green flag drops. I would do it again in an instant if not for the expense in both time and money.:sneaky:

Ben - Don't forget Paragon and Haubstadt. I watched Bob Kinser and Dick Gaines put on some real "tooth and nail" battles at Paragon many times back in the '60s and '70s.:thumbsup:

Fletch - If you've never seen a dirt race in person you're missing some of the best racing on wheels. I would rather see the Sprints at Putnamville or Kokomo than any NASCAR race (and I've been to lots of both).:D
I intend to take time to see one, I have been around drag racing, nascar, short track, go carts, even Indy cars as I worked for a sponsor of the Columbus 500 back in the 80's, basically, if it had wheels, we tried to race it, I have just not been around dirt tracks.

I intend to take time to see one, I have been around drag racing, nascar, short track, go carts, even Indy cars as I worked for a sponsor of the Columbus 500 back in the 80's, basically, if it had wheels, we tried to race it, I have just not been around dirt tracks.
Big dirt track crowd down here in Georgia, and we always say...."dirts for racing. Asphalt is for getting there!" :thumbsup:

Big dirt track crowd down here in Georgia, and we always say...."dirts for racing. Asphalt is for getting there!" :thumbsup:
There are a couple of smaller tracks I have recently learned of that aren't too far from me. I just wasn't around it growing up. I need a new thrill in life, maybe this will work for a while? I grew up about 2 miles from national,trails drag strip and close to Honda hills moto cross, so that was my focus, but mainly street cars and dirt bikes. I really enjoyed watching the outlaw sprint cars on asphalt. I have no doubt about enjoying dirt tracks. I got a kick out of the legend cars too. I almost bought one, but reality set in and I passed on the deal.

Here's old picture of me in our sprint car. This would have been about 1992 at (another great Indiana track that we forgot to mention) the Terra Haute Action Track. Back in those days, a blue-collar guy could build a steel block 410, fuel injected with aluminum heads for a reasonable price, go racing, and be competitive. Can't do that anymore.

Sprint Car.jpg

Ben, even if the track management doesn't allow us on the track we are seriously considering coming regardless because I know we would like the cruises and other events you are planning. We went to two NTBA regionals last year and had a great time. Thanks for the hard work I know you are putting into planning and setting up the event.

With the popularity of "Track Days" around the world, I'm surprised they've not caught on here. My background being sports cars, the track I'd love to have a few laps on is the Nürburgring. Of the tracks in this country, it would be a toss-up between Watkins Glen and Elkhart Lake.

On the spectator side, I'm not a stranger to short track racing, but I've never been to a dirt track. When I lived in the area, I loved going to Sandusky Speedway to watch the super modifieds. Hopefully once I get my power chair trailer done, I'll be able to convince my wife to take a day trip to Eldora.

Here's old picture of me in our sprint car. This would have been about 1992 at (another great Indiana track that we forgot to mention) the Terra Haute Action Track. Back in those days, a blue-collar guy could build a steel block 410, fuel injected with aluminum heads for a reasonable price, go racing, and be competitive. Can't do that anymore.

View attachment 10824
You are correct about the blue color guys being priced out of the game...that holds true in about every arena. For the record, I think it sucks! If it weren't for the blue color guys, most of this stuff wouldn't exist and defidently wouldn't survive. I miss the days where we could at least act like we belonged...cool picture, good memories, I'm sure.

Ben, even if the track management doesn't allow us on the track we are seriously considering coming regardless because I know we would like the cruises and other events you are planning. We went to two NTBA regionals last year and had a great time. Thanks for the hard work I know you are putting into planning and setting up the event.

We would love to have you! We're hoping for a good turnout so we can keep it going.

We did the the MO Mini-Nats the last two years and it was a blast and inspired us to do this one. Its great to get out of your usual zone of influence and meet some new folks. Rolla has promised to be there and I hope some of the other St. Louis folks will make the trip as well. We've got some cool things planned and we'll start announcing them as they get confirmed.

I sure hope to have my T ready for this. It sounds like it is going to be a great time. A few years back I participated in the Miracle Ride for Riley Kids. It is a huge event, thousands of motorcycles. Part of the ride was taking a lap around IMS. It was a great experience. We had to submit a waiver before the ride and wear a helmet to get on the track. We weren't given any speed restrictions but with as many bikes that were going around the track, we couldn't get too crazy. I think I had my bike around 60 on the straight away.

Jamie

Pet friendly hotel?

Pet friendly hotel?
Milt: their website says that "Small Pets are allowed, a $25.00 non-refundable charge applies"

This is not a "new" hotel but a clean older hotel and they seem pretty relaxed about stuff.

Awesome! The more the better. I did a pre-run (not in the bucket however) of one of the cruises this Sunday and while its 8 months away - I'm pretty excited about it!
This is a cool idea! I don't know if my car will be finished by then, but it gives me a target. I would like to come either way, just to see the cars and feel the vibe, so to speak. Any clue as to how much lead time to get reservations, or is it likely to fill up?

We have one whole wing of the hotel blocked - which is 43 rooms which is probably more than we need. You can reserve one now - and cancel up to 48hrs before you are to show. The hold on the rooms goes off 30 days before the event, so to guarantee the rate and the same area, you should book this spring.

You should plan on coming regardless! It should be a good time.

I lived in Indy from 90-93 up on the Northeast side. Use to be called Riverbend Apartments. Anyway, I am originally from Southern Indiana and have been to IMS many times over the years. Love the history there and Spike Gehlahausen was from my hometown area. I use to race in Bloomington and Brownstown speedways. You can count me in for this event! My bucket will not be done but I may just trailer it over there anyway just to be a part of the show. You had me at free BBQ by the way. lol Need to go visit friends and JUST Marketing while I am in town as well. Thanks for updating us on this event. Will there be any camping nearby? Don't need anything other than a parking spot. lol

We have one whole wing of the hotel blocked - which is 43 rooms which is probably more than we need. You can reserve one now - and cancel up to 48hrs before you are to show. The hold on the rooms goes off 30 days before the event, so to guarantee the rate and the same area, you should book this spring.

You should plan on coming regardless! It should be a good time.
Thanks!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back