Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Nuances of Alum. heads and motor parts.....

Screaming Metal

As alot of folks are going to alum. heads these days with the cast iron block still intact, I'd like to share a little info with you.
The difference in the expansion rate between the head and block can cause problems, ones that You guys need to keep a eye on. NO, they aren't all bad, but, A eye still needs to be peeled for things you can possibly prevent.
There are several Manufactures like Dart and others, that offer cast iron performance replacements with screw in studs w/guidplates, angle plugs, good compression ratios.

Alum heads from Edlebrock and alot of other co's come with the big valves, a good CR, and alot of flow. Not to mention the big weight savings these offer, theres a large bolt on power increase with these heads, too! And they usually run cooler also.

Now, the diff. in expansion rate causes a 'scrubbing' of the head gasket. especially that area on steel around the cylinder on the head gasket. After a while, this removal of material or 'scratching, as I call it, makes the gasket loose its seal.
Usually on our T's, theres not alot of problem with this, but with the fellas in the climates where these cars can be run year round, yes, it could pose a problem. Ever had mysterious coolant leakage with your alum. heads???? Yep, this could be the culprit! Or a slight power loss?
(When I'm at the track I follow the car up into the staging area. As the temp rises, I will run my hand around the head gasket sealing area, feeling for blowby.
When your running 1:1 on the blower drive, a Big 5oo ci Hemi taking a hit, idling really rough at about 1500 rpm, the possibilities for a FUBAR happening are way on up there. I've seen some of those motors spit out a head gasket in the staging lanes after a burnout.)

Also, on your cast iron block, you have that same gasket scooting back and forth, and it can actually remove metal from the head itself. Usually the metal band that goes around the combustion chamber is SS......and as soft as the alum. head is.....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the seeping and scooting around does to that alum.
It might take years to happen, but then again, it might only take 5 or 6 startup cycles, just depends.
Another thing, every-once-in-a-while, you need to retorque your head bolts! This is very important! those heads don't actually grow out, they actually grow in thickness, too! If you have very loose or sloppy threads, I have seen them get pulled out!
With all this moving around, you also have to keep a eye on your intake manifold gaskets, too! I've seen some motors get hurt because of a air leak causing a leanout condition.....also affecting tuning and timing (Vacuum Advance).
Those that have both alum. heads and blocks.....theres not a problem usually. This is the reason why the bikes usually have studs, to keep the thread wear down.

Also, if you run those really hot motors with the alum. rods, its best to have those motors completely warmed up before moving the vehicles or throwing a load to them.
Remember, as the motor comes up in temp., your rods and pistons will expand, raising your compression ratios, and also quientening the motor down.
Forged pistons need more clearance, because they will grow in the bore. When you first start your motor, you can hear the piston slapping, until they heat up and expand.

Happy and safe cruisin' out there!

Another point is that with identical runner volumes, chamber volumes and valve diameters, it's going to be a lot easier to build power with the cast iron head. The cast iron will hold heat, where the aluminum acts like a heat sink.

Aluminum heads are light, easy to modify and easy to repair. A lot of cylinder head shops cringe at the thought of repairing a cast iron head with a chamber missing, so aluminum becomes the obvious choice for a racer. Unless front end weight is critical in a street car, I "cast" (pun intended) my vote for the iron castings.

The aluminum/iron scuffing problem is real. In the mid 90's, the GM 3.6L V6 had iron block with aluminum intake. The gasket scuffing and resultant coolant leaks on these engines was so common that every repair shop knew of the problem and fixed them on a regular basis. I had one of those engines in a car and it went to the shop twice for intake gasket replacement.

This time around, I chose cast iron heads on my bucket for a different reason, I wanted 50 more pounds on the front end to soften the suspension a bit, that coupled with they were cheap too.

I prefer alum heads in most cases (does that surprise anyone? ;) ). HP numbers seem to be just about a wash, between most alum and cast head engine setups, but the higher compression allowed with alum makes a snappier and more efficient street runner IMHO. I used a set of Edelbrock perf RPM heads on one of my ot cars (V-8 Fiero). mostly for weight savings, but it's a go cart on steroids and I've had zero problems with gaskets or anything else in the 6-8 years since I built the car. if absolute HP was my only goal I'd use cast, but otherwise it's all alum for me.

Russ

Someone mentioned that the ring of the head gasket is Stainless Steel, well SS is not compatible with Alum, they do not like each other. One of the quickest ways to ruin Alum heads is to run Stainless headers and or bolts on Alum. heads.. or even use SS bolts on your Alum. intake, eats out the bolt bore holes...

Ted is right, anytime some other metal is up close and personal with Aluminum, it gets a nasty attitude. Thats the reason on all my studs going into alum, and also weither it be valve guides, valve spring shims under the springs, freezeplugs, cam bearings, main bearings ,(on the blocks) and the drain petcocks from the radiators installed on the lower waterjacket holes on the street car motors.....if it isn't alum. and its up against it.....I use the best quality antiseize I can find. Believe me, even that isn't a guarantee!
Some of those allout mountain motors that have all alum everything, sometimes those hi-dollar rockershaft assemblies are hell to get out of those shaft saddles, if you don't coat everything good, and do a complete disassembly often. Its like a electrolysis reaction going on there. And shaft saddles will get pounded in.....alum. usually is still pretty soft, even after heat-treatment.

I found out the hard way about what Teddys talkin' about on a bike motor I built. I was dressing it up, replaced all those soft strippable phillipsheads on the cases with Stainess Steel allen head cap screws. Needless to say I had to put a helicoil in every screw hole.....

Anyone thats ever dealt with all the old blowers like I do understands....they are a pain. The major advantage of the alum heads and blocks, is weight. The CNC porting on the heads are a + too.....easier to work with, like Mike said.

I put AFR heads on my Sbf and I had one head stud seep a bit till I re-torqued the studs. That was 12 years ago and never had a problem since. I used Felpro Performance head gaskets, ARP studs and the block had the stock finish.

Just don't be putting any of the anti-seize on spark plug threads. That stuff will cause detonation.

Only if you slather it on so thick it spills over into the combustion chamber. I always use antiseize but only put enough on the threads to do the job. No way I would put plugs in an aluminum head (or cast iron for that matter) without it.

As for aluminum heads themselves, I have a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM's on the 331 Ford in my 27. Probably the best investment I made. By the time I would have had a set of cast iron heads done I would have been close to the price of the aluminum ones so I made the leap. I absolutely love them. More power than I can use and they look pretty neat there too. I'm putting together a 351 Ford for a Fox Mustang to be my sort of daily driver and am going to go with aluminum heads on that one too.

Don

This is an interesting thread. I had a stroked 331ci 600hp sbf with Trick flow heads ported and polished. I used ARP studs, and Cometic head gaskets. I always used anti-seize on my plugs and ARP lube on all the bolts. Never had any issues discussed in this thread. I also like the Felpro proformance gaskets but when I strated using nitrous I went to the cometics cause they could handle more CC pressure, and that I could reuse them! I am now building a sbc for my T and plan on using aluninum heads and plan on using the same type of gaskets and bolts.

Well, we hope you don't have any of these issues, most folks won't if they are lucky. But, just putting the info out there, I know of several motors where people been loosing coolant into the combustion chamber here locally....

I have never looked past Dart Iron Eagles for SBC's. Always splendid, never a problem.
Note Screamin's comments re electrolysis with ally heads. Well, those of us who run alky fuel are well versed in that bad habit, and it is indeed electrolysis because the methanol is conductive. Two dissimilar metals in an electrolyte = a battery. The E85 guys slipped one past us there because there is enough methanol/ethanol in E85 to make the stuff conductive to the point where electrolysis rears its troublesome head. Effectively, the least "noble" metal erodes away, and ally is usually the least noble

I have never looked past Dart Iron Eagles for SBC's. Always splendid, never a problem.
Note Screamin's comments re electrolysis with ally heads. Well, those of us who run alky fuel are well versed in that bad habit, and it is indeed electrolysis because the methanol is conductive. Two dissimilar metals in an electrolyte = a battery. The E85 guys slipped one past us there because there is enough methanol/ethanol in E85 to make the stuff conductive to the point where electrolysis rears its troublesome head. Effectively, the least "noble" metal erodes away, and ally is usually the least noble

Dart makes some good heads....:thumbsup:

My daily driver has an aluminum engine ( Cadillac Northstar) and the they used to put sacrificial zinc anodes into the cooling system. But the last time I had it in for service they told me they stopped doing that as it wasn't needed.

Don

My daily driver has an aluminum engine ( Cadillac Northstar) and the they used to put sacrificial zinc anodes into the cooling system. But the last time I had it in for service they told me they stopped doing that as it wasn't needed.

Don

Well....Yes and No....if your car is a good car with a good electrical system, NO, you don't need them. But if a older car with the motor and chassis not grounded....Yes, you could have a problem.
Such as the older Caddys back in the late 80's/ early 90's. Head gasket problems, and some electrolysis problems as they got older. AT first they had the alum monster problems, until they figured out what would work and what wouldn't....

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/Electrolysis Article.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/radiator_repair.htm

On the newer cars they have a motor gounded in 3 or 4 places, one a neg battery ground, then a couple of body to motor grounds, usually at the firewall and at the radiator supports, then usually on the lower radiator mounting bolts, they'll also have grounding straps.
Its a lot more critical on these newer cars we drive now since they are about 1/2 plastic or composite materials.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back