Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Oasis Floral Foam.....Where can I find a good deal?

I'm on my 8th can. Really decent general purpose resin.

Fiberglass Resin Polyester Lamanating 5 gal + MEKP HARDENER

And I'm always on the lookout for deals on glass.
That is a good deal! I just ordered a bunch of stuff to do the floor. I have it all rebuilt, ready for glass, and most of my supply's are old and I didn't want to chance it, not enough to do it anyway. I am looking forwards to getting into the glass stage, I like it when it starts taking form. I ordered bi axial to do the floor over 1/2 " plywood, I expect and hope it stiffens it, I plan on doing both sides, at least two layers, also got some chopped mat to shape and fiim up,the corners,,etc... It out to look like Christmas around here soon! I have ordered a bunch of stuff recently. Hope it gets here soon, so I can keep the momentum going.

I have been a member of the club that makes airplanes out of fiberglass and foam. For all my T body work I will use stuff from Aircraft Spruce. You can find anything there you would need to do ANYTHING fiberglass related.
Google Aircraft Spruce. The catalog is free and they are in SoCal.

I have been a member of the club that makes airplanes out of fiberglass and foam. For all my T body work I will use stuff from Aircraft Spruce. You can find anything there you would need to do ANYTHING fiberglass related.
There is an aircraft spruce in Griffin Ga. Also. Nice guys to work with

For the people in upper mid west there is also Wicks Aircraft. They are good people. The Aircraft Spruce in GA is part of the same company in SoCal. For fiberglass and foam products you cannot go wrong.

I was looking at their fiberglass bucket seats for a long time. But ended up making some. They have lots of good hardware too.

seat.jpg

If you just need filler material, I've had great luck with this wall insulation. You simply peel off the outside foil. At my Home Depot it comes in 1", 1 1/2" and 2". I think a 4X8 sheet of 1" was like $20.00.

View attachment 11773

I'd be surprised if it isn't the same as floral foam. Just in a beige color and more dense. They're all just industrial made polyurethane expansion foam made in block molds.

You know how it goes. Call something by one name for a reasonable cost. Call it something else at five times that cost.

You can easily stack this stuff using a 3M spray adhesive. And it carves like butter with sandpaper.

I tried this stuff and it melted. What am I doing wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong , you just got foam that's not compatible , win some /lose some ...hotroddin' !

dave

I understand the hot roddin part. But I used the same stuff Choppinczech recomended. And looking at his work, I'll follow any recomendation he gives. I wish I was half that good. This is my first attempt at fiberglassing so I have a lot to learn

I understand the hot roddin part. But I used the same stuff Choppinczech recomended. And looking at his work, I'll follow any recomendation he gives. I wish I was half that good. This is my first attempt at fiberglassing so I have a lot to learn
Not all building foam is the same, test it before doing the work. Drop some mixed resin on a piece and see if it reacts. It would be disheartening to do the work ad fitting the foam and laying cloth, only to have the resin melt it. I feel your pain! Choppinzech is definitely a wizard with glass!

I WISH I would have tested it first. I'm putting it around the inside lip and had it glued in and looking good. Like 2old2fast said, Thats hot roddin. I'll figure out something.

I WISH I would have tested it first. I'm putting it around the inside lip and had it glued in and looking good. Like 2old2fast said, Thats hot roddin. I'll figure out something.
Did you put primer on first? You might spray glue aluminum foil or wax paper on the next try.

I tried this stuff and it melted. What am I doing wrong?

Unfortunately you got a hold of a styrene based insulation rather than a polyester based.

Larry, check with LaFavor Fiberglass in Broken Arrow. Closer to you than Lowes, and less bucks also. He will lead you in the right direction. He is located close to the QT at 81st and Hwy 51. Turn left at 81st by QT, then right at first street you come to. He is on the right side, about 1/8 mile. Tell him Honky sent you.
Lee

Larry, check with LaFavor Fiberglass in Broken Arrow. Closer to you than Lowes, and less bucks also. He will lead you in the right direction. He is located close to the QT at 81st and Hwy 51. Turn left at 81st by QT, then right at first street you come to. He is on the right side, about 1/8 mile. Tell him Honky sent you.
Lee

I know where thats at, I drive rite past that to get to lowes. Thanks Lee. By the way, I did not mean to hijack this thread. If I made anybody mad I apologize.

So I changed up the plate on the inside of my box this week. Time well spent if I do say so.
31B63BA4-F483-48F6-BD8D-508656D99764_zpsu6gfxh3h.jpg

We then started laying down more glass.

983EC5A4-5FF2-414F-80C5-E9DB15CDF7B1_zpsdqglzat7.jpg

And here's the inside of the can

8A2F1BDA-7149-4855-BA52-8E29D9B67D24_zpsxyywbvux.jpg

Of course it did not stay looking like this.

263738AE-2C3D-4348-85F4-BC44982FCFB9_zpsm4faqvho.jpg

And the box....
270E551B-1DE0-4FAC-B7BD-D19A87898347_zpsbf3xvziw.jpg

Cleaning up the cage to glass that in now. My box is going to moan and groan a little while installing that. She is a little bowed out now and since the reinforcement with glass she wants to fight to go back into shape.

2B84ED75-5BD0-4D63-BEEA-6F6198D0145B_zpsrdotzxpb.jpg

Drivers side shown above, passengers side shown below.

49A13656-BA7D-43ED-9786-2552C3592A4A_zpsepqgfg98.jpg

Fiberglassing is so much fun!!!!!!!!

Congrats on some excellent pics of the process !!! Worth several thousand words!

Nice work!

So we finish up some additional layers this morning and have moved on to the cage in my bed. It's a little bowed out so here is my attempt to start to straighten the bed.
D7E29DAB-B455-4878-AC60-EADE559FA418_zpsqrv8t3q0.jpg

76AB20D1-6249-418C-9B5A-C26C73879B2E_zpsstarwgwe.jpg

738BB230-7E2B-47BC-B03F-DC76684449E9_zpsnm9ltrjj.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back