Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Oil leak!

tfeverfred

Okay, after my fun run today, I noticed I had oil leaking from the front of my intake AND oil blowing out of my dip stick tube and it blew all over my Miss behavin' decal!:eek:! Well, I fixed the dip stick tube by making it seal better. It was a cheapo I got from the auto parts store. Now, the oil coming from the intake is probably just a sealing problem that will be addressed later on by just changing out the gasket set. It's not a major leak, but it is noticeable.

But is it possible that I have a problem that is causing a build up of pressure? Any thoughts?

Oh, I didn't have this problem before switching valve covers. One VC breather has a PVC in it. Maybe I don't need the PVC and should use the two plain breathers that came with the new covers or could the PVC breather be clogged? And changing back to my old valve covers is NOT an option!

old round fart said:
Sounds like you are building pressure in the motor. Be sure the PCV valve is O.K.
Well, i shook it and it rattled. Is there another way to check it or I guess I could just buy another.

Sounds like you have a problem which you didn't have before. You may need to fix the intake leak now because it has started to leak but may not be the original problem. Same goes for the dip stick, The intake and dip stick starting to leak at the same time by them selfs is not likly. So with the engine running pull out the PCV valve and see how much blow by is coming out valve cover, should be very little or close to none. If that is true, check and make sure you have vacuum to the PCV. If you do buy a new PCV. OH- if you have alot of blow by let us know - thats a whole other subject.

Thanks guys. I'll get a new PCV valve and see what happens tomorrow.

Sorry about that.:eek: I updated in my journal. A new PCV seems to have fixed the problem The other one was not that old, maybe it was a bad one?

I still ge ta little seapage at the front of the intake where it mates to the block, but I'll change it later. It's minimal.

Fred: If those are OLD valve covers Like mine are. They need a baffle inside. I'm putting a Chevy baffle in the FORD aluminum covers with SMALL bolts.

butch27 said:
Fred: If those are OLD valve covers Like mine are. They need a baffle inside. I'm putting a Chevy baffle in the FORD aluminum covers with SMALL bolts.

If I remember, one side had a baffle or maybe they both did. I'm at home now, but will check tomorrow. I have had this type VC's in the past and they used to be a pain. But the seapage from these is almost none, so a quick wipe is all they need. After all, it's an engine that powers a car that gets driven. I can't expect it to be spotless, like a showcar. If it gets worse, I'll worry and work towards a solution, but for now, it's a minor problem with looking good, not function.

hey fred a leaking intake aint nutin for a stepper and everyone says ur a stepper so use a can of carb cleaner or should i say a couple of good squirts and clean the leak area by spraying into the crack between intake and block and or head let it dry get a small tube of red rtv high heat and squirt some on the finger and push it in the leak area. use a good bit cuz u can wipe off all extra let it dry and u should of fixed that prob done it many times mike

MDANIELSON55 said:
hey fred a leaking intake aint nutin for a stepper and everyone says ur a stepper so use a can of carb cleaner or should i say a couple of good squirts and clean the leak area by spraying into the crack between intake and block and or head let it dry get a small tube of red rtv high heat and squirt some on the finger and push it in the leak area. use a good bit cuz u can wipe off all extra let it dry and u should of fixed that prob done it many times mike

Now, why didn't I think of that! Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot.

MDanielson55, you sir, are THE MAN! Last night, I sat around and finally went up to work and did as you suggested. Yea, 9PM! I stopped at the auto parts store and got a tube of the Hi-temp RTV, cleaned the area and applied it. I let it set till about 15 minutes ago and went for a lunch time drive. No leaks! No problemo!:lol:

Thanks again for the tip! Saved me from having to waste a Saturday. Thanks again. I don't know if I was a "stepper" before, but I sure as hell feel like one now! This weekend is going to GREAT!:) Well, I have to work Saturday, but the day will go quick.

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here but I have the same problem as tfeverfred, and will try the fix for sure. I do have another question to run by you guys; I recently purchased my T and living in the desert I wanted to change the coolant to dextron orange and install a 180 stat ASAP. Upon draining the coolant I had a (white greese like) substance around the filler neck and small particles of what appeared to be the same thing floating in the coolant inside the drain pan. I FREAKED thinking it was oil, (the motor is a crate 350 with less than 5000 miles on it). I then talked to 2 mechanic friends who said it was more than likely block seal which some people use when the build a motor. I went out yesterday and opened the radiator cap and had more of the same on it but reolized I didn't flush out the aluminum overflow and it had some in it also so it is now cleaned out. Any thoughts on this? I'm now wondering if my intake leak is allowing oil to get into my coolant, any thoughts??

be glad you ain't got a blower. Use to have alum valve covers with a push-in 710 cap on one and a chrome PCV on the other. One day I got on the freeway entrance ramp and nailed it. Heard a big POP and then oil all over the cowl and windshield. Pulled over and I had launched that push-in 710 cap to da moon. Got rid of them alum covers, push-in cap and PCV. Put on my old Cal Custom finned no hole covers and mounted a set of 90 degree Offenhauser breathers on the sides. No more problem. Next time you go to a NHRA meet check out the evac system on a Top Fuel. Big tubing going to a big tank in the middle of the wing support. Just imagine how much pressure them 14-71's and the boost they are putting out and the blowby they are making. Most of the Super Comp and other lower classes have evac systems going into the headers.

BT

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back