Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old I-beam Axle

Jamestat2

Sorry I have been away for awhile!

Yesterday I got an old I-beam style front axle from a guy for $10! I know! It is in good shape aside from having some extra steel welded to it when someone converted it to a trailer axle many years ago.

What I would like to know is how to identify it?

I can upload some detailed pics if need be. Are there any sites out there that have charts and pics or what not to help?

Thanks HenrysT but it isn't any of those. :(

Anyhow, I am getting some pictures to post of it today. Will be on later to post them.

559010_4391254492878_656466733_n.jpg

63114_4391254372875_1651795347_n.jpg

148739_4391254532879_2070576797_n.jpg

481776_4391254892888_1330718597_n.jpg

558893_4391255172895_393288433_n.jpg

Here are the pics of the front axle. The picture of the writing is what is cast into the axle.

Hope this helps to help me identify this axle. Thanks!

65014_4391502099068_411740548_n.jpg

599_4391502379075_171141821_n.jpg

Okay. There is a pic of the whole thing and a pic of the brake drum. I'm kinna swaying toward it being off a truck. Maybe?

look like a early chevy van to me Dwight

It is definitely a truck axle, but it does not look like a Ford one to me unless it is a bit later model. The 30's-50's Ford trucks used a similar spindle similar in looks to the passenger cars. We are using a 50's F1 axle on our latest build, and the spindle backing is nothing like those. As suggested chevy or dodge van?

Dang thats something. I just remembered after I posted reply that was over 35 years ago!! WOW maybe I don't have CRS after all. Now what were we talking about? LOL Oh and ROLL DAMN TIDE!!!

Sounding better and better all the time! Thanks to bigblk1177 and benT!!! Where did you get that diagram benT?

I just need to know so that I can find out where to get parts to rebuild it. It is the one that I am going to use.

The only thing that differs between that diagram and the axle as far as I can see is the spring area. In the diagram where the spring perch is there are four holes and the spot in the center where the spring bolt rests and on my axle there is an extra hole there on the one side. I am not sure if that is factory or if someone in the past drilled that hole. It looks very straight and uniform with the others so I am not sure.

If it is a '49-'61 Study front axle where can I get parts to rebuild it? AND Does anyone know if I can modify a disc brake setup for it>

Think I know where you got that diagram benT! LOL! I got this one from Studebaker International.
306027_4396345940161_1544204008_n.jpg

I think this may be the one I have. Notice the extra holes on the spring perch area and compare to mine.

I am going to call Studebaker International tomorrow and try to ask some questions on it. Heck they are only about 180 miles away. If it comes down to it I will drive it down to them and let them identify it for me!

Thanks for all the help fellas! I could have never done it without your help! I will let you all know what SI says about it.

Okay! So it is a '49 - '61 truck axle. The extra hole in the spring perch area is for an eye type bracket that mounts some weird looking shocks that they had.

My next question is. How should I mount this on my frame?

I was thinking that I could fab a plate that fits on the spring perch bolt pattern and mount the spring transversely over the top of the axle instead of a typical spring behind type of mounting. That would use the perch area and not just leave it sitting there looking all crazy and what not.

So what do y'all think? Will that work? A little feed back and direction would be alot of help seeing that this is my first build.

Any particular reason you want to use this axle other than you got it cheap? Seems there's plenty of (I think) better options? with all he tube or beam axles available these days.
Straight away you're looking for disc brakes etc for a very unusual axle. that equals, expensive, to me.

There is always a way, but if you ever needed king pins they would be hard to find, and always think about resale. If you decided to sell the buyer might think what else non standard parts might be on the car.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back