Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Older 350SBC or LS (5.3L 323ci)

With all due respect and not meaning to sound like an a-hole, but you are missing the point, and I've spent 6 months researching costs and you can't get a COMPLETE running engine for anywhere near $2000. To get that kind of money together would take many months of sitting on my behind doing nothing, not even buying a magazine to look at. I'd rather end up spending a little more buying a few parts at a time over that same several months but at least have something to do.
The biggest single expenses are 1) Body, 2)Frame, 3)Wheels, 4)Tires. Everything else can be obtained inbetween the large items to keep me busy and the build moving forward.

Next Friday I'll be ordering my first parts. Still undecided what it will be. 1) Body with some money left over, 2)Block - bare or with crank, rods, pistons, bearings., 3)Lots of smaller pieces like suspension parts. I'm leaning heavily towards the Body first because I can do work on it while saving for other parts.

Okay, you stated earlier that you are house bound. Living in an apartment and really aren't allowed to work on cars. So, just how are you going to do all this building? If you can do it, fine. But building a car takes space. And if you do build it in your apartment, please post pics. I'd like to see that.

Ok.. sounds like you have made up your mind on a new block and a new rotating assembly.
Now consider the 383 does this come with the externally balanced flywheel/flex plate ? also when assembled what will the deck height be. If deck height is standard rebuilder .050 then you have to consider what heads, compression, squish, your shooting for.
Here is an example, lets say your deck height is .050 and you drop on a set of standard 350 heads with say 68-74 cc chambers and standard .040 gaskets, now your compression ratio drops to 8:1 and it runs like a dog even though its all brand new.
Want to drop those 0.040 gaskets to .020 gaskets ..well that's another $200 extra, plus ARP head bolts add another $$.
Just want to give you a heads up to get your nice sounding 350 you will want a bit over 10.5:1 compression so consider the deck height and head chamber size. Then its cam and lifter combo, 400HP doesn't just happen by bolting a new 383 together.
I could bolt together a SBC blindfolded before I built this one but this one I loved doing all the research before I built my engine and I learned allot along the way.

LS all the way. Yes parts are more pricey, but well worth it IMO. As far as trannys go, a TH350 will bolt right up to a LS motor. I have built a number of LS engines for various projects and INO you cant beat the power that you can make out of the LS motors. Once again just my opinion.

Ok, a few points.
1)"Look on private source sites, call local machine shops, swap meets, towing companies, etc". Can't be done. I'm basically housebound and can't go looking all over for ... anything. This is going to have to be a mail order car.

2)"plan on machine work for the best result ". This is just adding costs for no gain. I can't afford to buy an unknown block or complete engine and HOPE it's good enough for a rebore. THEN add all the costs of machining.. I can by a block ready to go and know what I'm getting.

3)"Look for a old truck or car with a running sbc in it," ... see #1 above, AND..I'm in an apartment with a 'No working on cars policy' but I have spoken to the manager and been told to go ahead.... but if any other residents complain or even ask what I'm doing I'll need to stop. I don't have space or the ability to buy a junker and strip it.

4)"anyone can mail order a kit and assemble it if money is no option.".. basically this is what I'm doing. I don't weld, the 2 guys who said they would help with welding a frame have pulled out so now I have to go with an off the shelf frame. I hate it but that is how it is. Budget... this is the tightest budget you can have. Only income is a disability pension which pays bills and not much else.

I hear you asking ...so if it's that hard why do it? I'm bored. Always wanted a T Bucket. It's now or never and even if I start now it might (probably) never get even half way finished.
Thing is, I've built too many model airplanes, too many wooden boxes, bowls, etc, I don't play cards with the 'ladies' ..... there is nothing to do. It's driving me nuts.
Apparently I've struck a nerve... not my intent. I was just offering real life options that guys who build cars do based on actual experience of building cars on a budget for the past 40 years. Sorry if that somehow offended you. I had no idea of your situation, income, or anything else. I assumed that you had the means to do this based on your posts...obviously I was mistaken. Good luck with your mail order build. In the future, don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear it...I was just trying to help.

Check this out. I know it's a 'long block' and not ready to run - needs intake & carb, plus distributor, etc. But . . . those are things you can add as funds become available.
Chevrolet Performance 12530283: 5.7L/350ci L31 Long Block Crate Engine with Vortec Heads for GM Trucks/Vans | JEGS
Looked at it about a week ago. Rejected it. 255hp out of a V8 is laughable. I have a Nissan V6 sitting in the garage, 220Hp. Could use that, or I can build a Honda 4 that will kill just about any V8. That's not the point though. This is a T bucket. It needs a V8 with more power than a prius.

Let me clarify something. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest way to do this. I expect the complete engine to be around $4000. Might be able to stretch that a little, BUT spread over a long time period, a few parts at a time while I continue to build the frame, suspension, steering, etc.
My body is going to be $750 + shipping. The frame is cheaper but I've been quoted $600 JUST for SHIPPING it. Makes the frame well over $1000. I expect this build to take about 3 years, less if I get lucky. Who knows, in a year it may be impossible to register a new T Bucket. What then? But I have to start somewhere and can't worry about what might happen in the future.

On Friday when I'll be ready to make a purchase I'm going to make a few phone calls and see what I can arrange as a "package" (all parts gauranteed to go together without issues) but to be purchased a few parts at a time. Will cost more than a crate engine but at least I'll be doing something.

The topic of this thread is Older 350SBC or LS (5.3L 323ci).
I think that's been decided.

Gees...... good luck. Post pics.

Okay, you stated earlier that you are house bound. Living in an apartment and really aren't allowed to work on cars. So, just how are you going to do all this building? If you can do it, fine. But building a car takes space. And if you do build it in your apartment, please post pics. I'd like to see that.
I'm not an idiot. Of course I'm not building a car in an apartment. I could do certain sections if I need to but I don't. If you had read the thread closely I did say that the manager has given 'permission' for the build. Without that I wouldn't even consider starting.
Last engine I built was done in my bedroom. Yes. It's a great engine. A Honda DOHC 4cyl. Fuel injected. When complete I wheeled it outside on the engine stand and put it in the car.
Since then I have moved to a different apartment with a garage. I now have space. Now I can start a T Bucket.

Ok.. but just a heads up on T Buckets ,, (all parts gauranteed to go together without issues) THAT IS NOT REALITY
I'm talking about an engine package. This is an easy thing to do. And even if it was a complete T bucket it IS VERY possible to guarantee all part go together with no issues.

Don't listen to those nay sayers, If the mind can see the path to success, then it will happen !!!!!!!!

Apparently I've struck a nerve... not my intent. I was just offering real life options that guys who build cars do based on actual experience of building cars on a budget for the past 40 years. Sorry if that somehow offended you. I had no idea of your situation, income, or anything else. I assumed that you had the means to do this based on your posts...obviously I was mistaken. Good luck with your mail order build. In the future, don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear it...I was just trying to help.
How do you jump to the conclusion that you "struck a nerve"? What gives you that impression? You gave me info and advice that was off topic and not asked for. I relied to that. What's you problem?
I never asked where to look for an engine or anything else in your "reply". This topic is about which engine is a better option, old school sbc or LS. You going off in a totally different topic is not helping. I've been messing with cars since I was a teenager, 40+ years ago. I've built a few that people said could never be done. Example, a Nissan SR20DET in a Mazda Capella Coupe. Also used ford rear end (shortened) with all adjustable 4 bars, 1996 RX7 brakes, custom (my design) alloy front hubs to accept the newer brakes,....etc. It won shows when I didn't even enter the show and it was not complete.
The only thing different about the T bucket is... 1) I am now back in the USA, 2)I haven't done much with V8's, and 3)My work space and ability to do whatever I want is restricted.

How do you jump to the conclusion that you "struck a nerve"? What gives you that impression? You gave me info and advice that was off topic and not asked for. I relied to that. What's you problem?
I never asked where to look for an engine or anything else in your "reply". This topic is about which engine is a better option, old school sbc or LS. You going off in a totally different topic is not helping. I've been messing with cars since I was a teenager, 40+ years ago. I've built a few that people said could never be done. Example, a Nissan SR20DET in a Mazda Capella Coupe. Also used ford rear end (shortened) with all adjustable 4 bars, 1996 RX7 brakes, custom (my design) alloy front hubs to accept the newer brakes,....etc. It won shows when I didn't even enter the show and it was not complete.
The only thing different about the T bucket is... 1) I am now back in the USA, 2)I haven't done much with V8's, and 3)My work space and ability to do whatever I want is restricted.
Excuse me, your response is what clued me into the fact that I must have offended you, and I offered an apology... Please post pics of your mastery of assembling mail order parts that are guaranteed to fit and school all of us ignorant car builders, fabricators, and shop owners who have wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on shop equipment and thousands of hours on past builds on how to assemble a t bucket in a bedroom or whatever. I need the humor. FYI, there is a lot different about building a car than assembling a Honda and this is a public forum, so you invited all to comment by posting. Off topic? I was simply following the conversations and it was exactly on topic relating to old school sbc and overdrive automatic gm transmissions. You made the comment about being on a budget and I was following that comment as well. Don't worry, I won't waste any more of my time following your pipe dream. I wouldn't have even replied if you didn't reply to my initial response. I am always amazed by guys who come on builder sites, ask questions, then correct everyone who attempts to help them.

The guy that got me interested buckets built his car in a rental house. He put plywood on the floor to protect the carpet. Unplugged the stove for welder power and built his car. When he had everything done we took it apart just enough to get it there it the front door and reassembled it in the driveway. Connected the brake lines and fuel lines added gas and cranked it up! The next door neighbor could not believe it!
I haven’t thought about that years. What were we thinking?lol

Excuse me, your response is what clued me into the fact that I must have offended you, and I offered an apology... Please post pics of your mastery of assembling mail order parts that are guaranteed to fit and school all of us ignorant car builders, fabricators, and shop owners who have wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on shop equipment and thousands of hours on past builds on how to assemble a t bucket in a bedroom or whatever. I need the humor. FYI, there is a lot different about building a car than assembling a Honda and this is a public forum, so you invited all to comment by posting. Off topic? I was simply following the conversations and it was exactly on topic relating to old school sbc and overdrive automatic gm transmissions. You made the comment about being on a budget and I was following that comment as well. Don't worry, I won't waste any more of my time following your pipe dream. I wouldn't have even replied if you didn't reply to my initial response. I am always amazed by guys who come on builder sites, ask questions, then correct everyone who attempts to help them.
You better learn how to read and comprehend. Don't know where you get your ideas from but sure it isn't me. Assembling a T bucket in a bedroom... where the heck did that come from? Your warped sense of reality. As for "mail order parts"... yes it is totally possible to buy everything mail order (which is almost the only to get anything these days, not just car parts but common everyday items. There is no such thing as a store anymore) and have it all go together with no issues. I hate people like you who think they are far superior to everyone else, and no-one but them knows how to do anything.

The same guy would go buy “fishing cars” as a local used car dealer used to sell. We would strip off the bodies and call them squirters because that was s how they drove. Very quick! Good times.

You better learn how to read and comprehend. Don't know where you get your ideas from but sure it isn't me. Assembling a T bucket in a bedroom... where the heck did that come from? Your warped sense of reality. As for "mail order parts"... yes it is totally possible to buy everything mail order (which is almost the only to get anything these days, not just car parts but common everyday items. There is no such thing as a store anymore) and have it all go together with no issues. I hate people like you who think they are far superior to everyone else, and no-one but them knows how to do anything.
You hate guys like me.... Guys who have done or are doing what you are asking about doing? Guys who have experience and try to share it with others? Guys with common interests who simply try to enjoy sharing dialogue? Hmmm, you have a lot to experience from what you have illustrated in your post. You claim to know more about everything than the guys who have tried to help you so far. You asked about engines, but reject suggestions or scoff at them then disagree when guys try to give you good advice, ie, parts not fitting, etc...(my warped sense of reality, lol) That is a FACT that is known by those who have experience. Unless you buy a kit and all of the parts come from the same manufacture, you will have problems...even the best have some fitment issues. This isn't a slight against anyone, its a fact...these are custom cars and require customization and various adjustments to make things work. I don't think I'm superior, I was simply trying to offer some advice and options related to your questions based on my experiences...I ask for advise too. I don't argue with the guys who offer their perspectives. If I disagree, I move on. I am not opposed to guys learning to do things or whatever. I started with very little. I have, however done the things that you claim to want to do and have experience. I haven't won any contests that I didn't enter with unfinished projects... you hold that crown. Bravo! You claim to be on a budget, but reject any ideas of how to build or buy a engine inexpensively, yet you are willing to pay almost a grand for a bare block? Seriously? And you've done your homework... You don't want to pay for machine work...do you think that all pistons are the same size and will just fit in any bore without being honed? Spend your money, enjoy it, but there are better and more efficient ways to accomplish your goals. Look, this site doesn't allow me to delete my comments or I would gladly remove all evidence of ever replying to your beloved thread. I have no animosity towards you, but I'm not an idiot either, and don't appreciate your tone or having my experience insulted. IF I somehow said something out of line to you that initiated this senseless babble, again, I'm sorry! It was never my intent. You clearly need someone to give you some advice based on your comments because you are heading for a long expensive ride. Please, for your benefit, invest in a book on building a T Bucket and SBC engines, if you haven't. I'm not trying to insult you. PS: I read and comprehend just fine.

The guy that got me interested buckets built his car in a rental house. He put plywood on the floor to protect the carpet. Unplugged the stove for welder power and built his car. When he had everything done we took it apart just enough to get it there it the front door and reassembled it in the driveway. Connected the brake lines and fuel lines added gas and cranked it up! The next door neighbor could not believe it!
I haven’t thought about that years. What were we thinking?lol
I frame off built a Ventura, converted it from a v 6 auto, replaced the sub frame, rebuilt the engine and entire drive train, a 455 4 speed, and even painted it in an open car port (plastic walls)with a 10 x 10 shed to hold my tools... My landlord was NOT impressed... the blacktop drive was fire mist red metallic, lol. I wish I had some of that energy now!

I'm not an idiot. Of course I'm not building a car in an apartment. I could do certain sections if I need to but I don't. If you had read the thread closely I did say that the manager has given 'permission' for the build. Without that I wouldn't even consider starting.
Last engine I built was done in my bedroom. Yes. It's a great engine. A Honda DOHC 4cyl. Fuel injected. When complete I wheeled it outside on the engine stand and put it in the car.
Since then I have moved to a different apartment with a garage. I now have space. Now I can start a T Bucket.

You said you had permission as long as no one complained. If you're living where there's a chance someone will complain, good luck. Sounds like a restricted community. You also mentioned you were home bound and living in an apartment. Only recently did you mention you had a garage. There are guys here with a lot of knowledge and are willing to give good advise, but you need to give more info and maybe crush the attitude a little. And YES, if you do some of your work in your apartment, I would like to see it.

Other than that, good luck.

you are willing to pay almost a grand for a bare block? Seriously?
Bare block = $790. Here is why that is CHEAP...
Lets assume I can find a SBC somewhere. I pay $250 minimum for it (that is an engine without any of the accessories on it). Add to that the cost of paying someone to pull it for me. IF it is good for reconditioning ...which is a huge gamble... machining costs are MINIMUM $710 and could be way more. That $710 is just Clean, Bore, Hone, grind crank. Does not include any crack testing, align hone crank journals, decking,...etc. So now I'm well over $1000.
Now, if I pull the heads and find the block is crap I'm out $250 plus whatever it costs for it to be pulled.

$790 for a block that has been done and is ready to go is cheap.

I'm done.

yes it is totally possible to buy everything mail order and have it all go together with no issues.

Heh, good luck with that.
The people here that have been doing this for very long at all will explain to you that seemingly NOTHING aftermarket can be bought piece by piece and assembled without issues.
I just bought a pair of "peep" door mount mirrors for my car awhile back, knowing full well that they weren't gonna fit out of the box.
A lathe, milling machine, drill press, band saw, and buffer later, PLUS all the associated tooling, was all it took to get them to
fit my car.

Bare block = $790. Here is why that is CHEAP...
Lets assume I can find a SBC somewhere. I pay $250 minimum for it (that is an engine without any of the accessories on it). Add to that the cost of paying someone to pull it for me. IF it is good for reconditioning ...which is a huge gamble... machining costs are MINIMUM $710 and could be way more. That $710 is just Clean, Bore, Hone, grind crank. Does not include any crack testing, align hone crank journals, decking,...etc. So now I'm well over $1000.Now, if I pull the heads and find the block is crap I'm out $250 plus whatever it costs for it to be pulled. $790 for a block that has been done and is ready to go is cheap.

See the car in my avatar? Motor, trans and driveshaft came from a 1988 Grand Marquis with 120,000mi on it. A bit of work with a scrub brush, solvent and a can of spray paint fixed most of what was wrong with it. A gasket set, and a few parts off ebay and the swap meet had it ready to bolt in the car. Does it have 500HP?? Nope, but it moves the car down the road just fine, sounds good, looks good, could easily be duplicated for the price of your bare block, and most people that look at it are none the wiser.

Nobody here hates you, nobody wants to see you fail. Everyone that has given you advice has given it meaning well and hoping to see you succeed. It's up to you how you take it and use it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back