Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions needed for my interior

tfeverfred

First off, thanks to whoever changed the forum in the last few days. It doesn't freeze up on me anymore!

Now to the topic at hand. I have liked bomber seats for a long time. I suppose it's the industrial look they have. The ones I'm looking at are from Speedway. Here's a pic:

bomberseat.jpg

Now, my plan is to build a new platform, carpet it and mount these to it. They wiegh only 6 lbs each and would actually be lighter than the bech seat I have now. I'd still be able to lift it out. I would make seat cushions for the seat area.

For the inside walls of the body, I plan on either paint or a VERY low pile, almost felt like, carpeting that I presently have on the floor and kick panel. I'm also leaning towards paint or perhaps a bed liner type paint. Both ideas would be in black.

The pro for the bench is that it's more conventional and is proven to work. So, what do you guys think? If anyone has done this, I'd like to see pics, if you have them. I had a pic, but it was lost the last time my computer crashed.

Hey fred good idea. I would consider setting the seat on somthing that will simulate the riser height you need to build, then put a spacer under the front until you get the recline that feals the best. then make the riser at the recline and height you need. A friend of mine has these in his ww2 theme coupe they look GREAT but can be a bit confining in an already confined area. Good Luck JMHO

20 degrees is about the best, check to see what works though...

Fred, a couple months ago I was looking at bomber seats. There is a place on ebay that has nice bomber seats cheaper that speedway. I bought mine from them, and it was a nice piece. I also wanted a bench seat, but was unwilling to spend the money everyone wanted for one. So I cut one bucket in half, and widened it. It was $68 for the aluminum to do it. And it fits in my car perfect.
Here is a link to the seat like I have
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alum...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a58cc13c

100_0501.jpg

Thanks for the input so far, guys. LKE, thanks for the link. Those look like the same thing. I'll save a bit on cost, but the shipping time is about double. But, I'm not in a hurry, so saving money is worth it.

I'm a thin person, so the width is perfect for me. Heavier passengers may have an issue, but I'm sure they'll have their minds on something other than thier butts. For the first block or two anyway! :suicide:

I think the bucket seat idea is neat. The seats look nice but the welds in the photo are a bit rough. Could be the picture. I have bucket seats in my plane but they are not rounded. I don't have padding on them but use a seat parachute instead. Frankly not the most comfortable but functional but I attribute that to the parachute.
I have seen the rounded seat style in roadsters and people have just bought those round cushions you use on wooden chairs to sit on. Upholstery would be simple but you may want to use some velcro to hold them in place. And if you are concerned about weight you could drill a few large holes in the backs. Can't think you would save much weight but it looks cool.

Fred,
Do you have a theme planned for your car that the metal seats will fit into? I see a lot of cars that look like the owner got excited about some pieces and added them to his car without thinking thru the whole theme - a 60s style bucket with modern 20 inch billet wheels & steering wheel comes to mind

Im struggling a bit to see the tie-in between a white plastic body and metal WW2 style seats, but if it pushes your button, then go for it.

Fred,
Do you have a theme planned for your car that the metal seats will fit into? I see a lot of cars that look like the owner got excited about some pieces and added them to his car without thinking thru the whole theme - a 60s style bucket with modern 20 inch billet wheels & steering wheel comes to mind

Im struggling a bit to see the tie-in between a white plastic body and metal WW2 style seats, but if it pushes your button, then go for it.
Hot Rod Todd is right. If you're going for a 50's track roadster theme or a 'altered' race car theme they would look right at home. Personally I wouldn't want them in a 'Kookie' T. But whatever floats your boat. Chester

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back