Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions wanted

akitagandy

Someone gave my dad a Turbo 350 , it was just rebuilt and the man put it in and it shifts at 5 MPH and he said it does not matter how hard you run it , I figured I would try it and see what happens. Any ideas?

Pull the modulator and check it out. Then make sure the governor isn't stuck. Those two items take care of shifting issues.

Mike

The other thing is the vacuum line to the modulator, odds are the transmission is still good it just needs to be gone through

Mike

I was just searching Google and it has tons of info on people with similar type problems. The turbo 350 is obviously tough as nails and I would be willing to bet it's a simple fix.

I also just called a friend that rebuilds automatic transmissions and left a message on his phone to call me back. When he does I'll let you know what he thinks.

Mike

No vacuum would make it shift late. Some Mods are adjustable. Do you think it's slipping? what happens when you smash it to the floor?

My modulator is a B&M brand and it has a set screw in the vaccum tube (5/32 I believe). Mine was doing the same thing and was in high gear before 35 no matter how hard you were on the gas. All it took was a half a turn out and made a world of difference. Don't know if that is for all mods or not, just a thought.

I'm with RPM........................Yogi is right......if you got a screw on the backside like the B&M models..........its adjustable................

If you don't have a kickdown cable hooked up.......hook it up........it controls your fluid pressure as well as your downshift.............
I've run them in the past with the cable pulled out just before it kicks down.......crimping the cable inside the cable housing...............giving more fluid pressure to bands and clutches.........I just didn't like the looks of that 'other' cable going up to the carb......

Put a full manual kit in it and be done with all the adjusting, vacuum lines and kickdown cables. Any sort of decent cam and the vacuum signal is elusive anyway.
Then the trans has no choice but to obey your every whim.

Mango......YOU DA MAN!.................................what he said!...............plus you'll forget you've got a automatic after rowing thru the gears a few times...........

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back