Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Panhard vs Dead Perch

I have used universal ones, that are basically heavy duty shock absorbers, on trucks, they work good, but you would have to be creative to make em look good. What about taking a chrome shock and fabricating some trick brackets? Do I smell an opportunity here? Lol

Make it small and adjustable valving in both directions.

Hmmmmm....I have a pair of what Ford called Quad shocks that came with my T-bird axle. They are 2-way dampers used to compensate for the slop caused by their flexing control arms and spongy bushings.
Quad shocks.jpg
I wonder if they might be candidates for re-purposing

Hmmmmm....I have a pair of what Ford called Quad shocks that came with my T-bird axle. They are 2-way dampers used to compensate for the slop caused by their flexing control arms and spongy bushings.
View attachment 10676
I wonder if they might be candidates for re-purposing
The universal ones that I have used weren't anything special. They weren't adjustable or anything other than the installation. They just stabilize the steering link by basically slowing everything down, the fluid in the shock reacts more as the intensity increases. Other than improved driveability, I didn't notice anything, but that was on a heavy truck with power steering. I suppose in a light weight bucket with manual steering the size and rate of the dampener would be more critical. It wouldn't take much to fabricate a bolt on or clamp on attachment that would allow some experimentation to find one that works. I don't think any type of dampener that is gas charged would work because it needs to be neutral to react the same in both directions, unless you incorporated a pair mounted in opposition. That would be a conversation piece! lol

Ah, like this:
pro%2Bcomp%2Bdamper.jpg

I've considered this, if one damper isn't enough.

On this site , in upper Rt corner ,where it says search , type in ''panhard bar'' & go to page 6 under'' pan hard bar really works good'' & you will see a picture of my front end with pan hard bar installed.

I guess I should have been a little more clear when I said "make it adjustable." There are a number of hydraulic damping cylinders that the motorcycle guys run that have an adjustment valve. These are not to be used as a shock absorber. Their sole purpose is to control stroke speed in both directions equally. I was putting them on the front steering system in Funny Cars back in the early '80s due to the extreme spindle caster. Just consider it a friction clamping tool that cause more or less force to stoke the tie rods. In those days there were only one or two sources but I'm sure that has all changed by now. These units were pretty small and took up very little territory making for a neat and compact installation. The units of today are bound to be as good if not better and in a number of optional sizes. You should only need one to do the job. If you choice to use two you will have to synchronize or match the flow controls or you will be constantly fighting one against the other. Hope this clears the air on my original statement. Good luck with your project Bill.

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back