Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

pedal sticking

Francis Blake

I hope someone can help on this. My brake pedal sticks down when I apply my brakes, and I have to pull it back up with my toe. I put residual pressure valves in because the brakes had to be pumped every time I had to stop, and they are turned the right way. I took it to a brake shop and had it bled so there is no air in the lines. Could one or both of the rp valves be bad? If I can't get this fixed I am going to install an mc behind the fire wall.

Well, you could open a bleeder or line and see if the pedal comes up. Two things, you would have to rebleed the line and it would indicate hydralic lock. That would mean the residual valves are too restrictive on return. If that does not fix it, I would check the internal spring in the master cylinder. Never heard of one breaking, but,.....

Maybe you should check to see if the MC has a return spring in there, or is there a bind in the pedal linkage somewhere?

Put a return spring on the pedal if you don't have one , all oem apps. have one to the best of my knowledge.

dave

Without the pr valves installed the pedal came back no problem but I had to pump once when I needed brakes, the problem started when I installed the pr valves and I did put a strong return spring on the pedal. Both valves are two pound, it has discs all around. The reason I posted this question is I never heard of pr valves going or acting this way if you guys think it is a bad pr valve I will try new ones before I do any thing else.

Without the pr valves installed the pedal came back no problem but I had to pump once when I needed brakes, the problem started when I installed the pr valves and I did put a strong return spring on the pedal. Both valves are two pound, it has discs all around. The reason I posted this question is I never heard of pr valves going or acting this way if you guys think it is a bad pr valve I will try new ones before I do any thing else.
Who installed your valves? Here is a wilwood 10 psi valve. note one end M.C. the other has "OUT" also note the grove on out end.

Attachments

• PICT1403.JPG
    PICT1403.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
A local garage installed them because I had an injured arm at that time but I was there and have checked them since and they are right, both are 2 pound. After thinking about this the valves are all that could be wrong. Monday I will order some new ones. Thanks for your replies .

A local garage installed them because I had an injured arm at that time but I was there and have checked them since and they are right, both are 2 pound. After thinking about this the valves are all that could be wrong. Monday I will order some new ones. Thanks for your replies .
2lb is for disc brakes 10 lb for drum brakes

If your disc brakes have internal residual valves like some Wilwoods and I suppose others as well, you will have the same problem if you add inline residual valves.

Is the only change you made before sticking peddel the valves?
Terry

Check the push rod, make sure you have not preloaded it on the MC pistion, you must have some clearance between push rod and pistion

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back