Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Powder-coating calipers

Hmmm, never had it done but since they will be baked at 400 degrees I wonder if the seals might be damaged in the oven. I think I would paint them instead, if it were me.

Don

I think they would do just fine. Take them apart and polish all the rough off of them. Should look great. The real trick will be to keep from scratching them up, trying to put them back together.

Do I need to explain how to tape them off to my powdercoater or do you think it would be common since? I have been using him for only a few years but have never had brake components done as I normally buy the name brand units that are already powdercoated or epoxy finished.

Do I need to explain how to tape them off to my powdercoater or do you think it would be common since? I have been using him for only a few years but have never had brake components done as I normally buy the name brand units that are already powdercoated or epoxy finished.
Well better explain it, I had some front end suspension parts done and I had to chase all the threads which was a pita.

Our shop does them quite often. Many times we have to take them apart--and sometimes we get them already un-assembled. Yes all seals need to be out of them. As RPM said, take some time with a grinder and flap wheel, or a right angle die grinder and ro-locs and get them smooth. It'll make them look tons better.

As for taping and plugging, a good shop knows what surfaces to take and what holes/threads to plug, but it doesn't hurt to tell them. Here is a pic of some GM calipers we did.
BC7.jpg

Our shop does them quite often. Many times we have to take them apart--and sometimes we get them already un-assembled. Yes all seals need to be out of them. As RPM said, take some time with a grinder and flap wheel, or a right angle die grinder and ro-locs and get them smooth. It'll make them look tons better.

As for taping and plugging, a good shop knows what surfaces to take and what holes/threads to plug, but it doesn't hurt to tell them. Here is a pic of some GM calipers we did.
BC7.jpg
Looks great there Ben.

0416111645.jpg0416111351.jpg 0416111645.jpg
Since a lot of stuff on my T is polished aluminum and side pipes being ceramic coated I had mine ceramic coated. Took out all the seals and plugged the holes I didn't want coated. Also coated a lot of other front end parts including the axle. Didn't turn out to bad.

The Ceramic coating is a good choice for front end parts. We did entire front end on my '27 in the polished ceramic coating (Cermakrome) as well as my headers, valve covers, intake manifold, air cleaners, and misc brackets and parts. If they are not going on exhaust or parts that are high-temp, you can clear it like I did and never polish again. I just use some spray wax every so often. The look as you can see on leomovitz's pics is very similar to polished aluminum. This is because the coating has a lot of finely ground aluminum in it that after it is polished, brings out that nice aluminum luster.

Our shop does this coating as well (our main business), and we've been pretty successful in getting it on several other hot rod axles and parts.

View attachment 6117View attachment 6118 View attachment 6117
Since a lot of stuff on my T is polished aluminum and side pipes being ceramic coated I had mine ceramic coated. Took out all the seals and plugged the holes I didn't want coated. Also coated a lot of other front end parts including the axle. Didn't turn out to bad.
Could you post A picture of how your shocks are attached to your spring. I have a spring behind axel like yours.
Thanks Terry

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• SD531479.JPG
    SD531479.JPG
    842.6 KB · Views: 37
  • SD531478.JPG
    SD531478.JPG
    834.8 KB · Views: 40
Looks great there Ben.

Since everything on the "Billet-T" is polished, I used a high-heat chrome spray. They look great until you pull a brake line and it all runs down to the ground. Shoulda had them PCd.brakes2.jpgbrakes.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back