Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

powder coating color

fordsbyjay

All my suspension pieces were painted and they are starting to look like crap. I was going to get them powder coated and I was wondering if anyone has done any of there parts in any different color than black.

I have had mine powder coated chrome, and it has faded over quite a few years. You might want to think about the ceramic coat they do on headers. It holds up much better than powder and it no where near the cost of chrome.

Where is Ben T he can give you all the info on this. This is what he does for a living.

other colors of powder coat ,,,you can get it in any color of the rainbow ,I have used 4 different chrome powders all look fantastic till you clear them then head a little to the gray side, but your coater will have to have understanding of it's use ,, out side in the weather and UV,,
I have been working with it a lot over the past couple of months even upgraded to a really good gun,,and now going to build a 4x4x6 oven,,..

Powdercoating is a great option and as RocknT said, there are literally thousands of colors and an infinite amount of combinations. Chrome powdercoat does get "milky" once the required clear is applied. In my opinion a nice silver sparkle metallic is great as it is shiny, catches the light, and with the clearcoat, is super durable.

Ceramic coating is another option, but comes with a higher cost due to product cost and additional labor. My whole front suspension is ceramic coated and clearcoated. No polishing for me. It has a polished aluminum look and just needs a spraywax spritz and its looking good. My intake, valvecovers, brackets, etc are ceramic coated as well. If you have any questions about either coatings, let me know, we are a shop that specializes in both for hot rods, bikes, and racecars.

Jay , Lots of the sand cars that we have built have been powder coated and look sharp . Its on my list for sure to do my frame and rear end . Will be done in a hammer tone finnish and front end haven't made up my mind yet. Once you pick a color its on , there is no sanding it off. It needs to be torch off and sand blasted again .

Ceramic coated mine and they turned out great!!

Attachments

• SD531167.JPG
    SD531167.JPG
    834.5 KB · Views: 39
Man gotta love PC but you better damsure have it right on the FIRST try or you will pay hell fixing it !!!!! go ahead ask me how I know ,LMAO
PM@BENT

yes chrome colors and colors without UV protection i.e uv clear top coat will fade in the sunlight over time. and RocknT is 100% correct if the prep work isnt done 110% then you are in for a huge problem . having to strip off powder is a nightmare!!!!!

also alot of at home DIY powder jobs are botched without even knowing it.
you can make powder RUN and DRIP. some people dont let the part cool all the way down before adding another coat wich allows powder to stick and high build itself , when this happens the second time you cure it the powder shows up uneven and some cases have runs . always let the part cure and cool all the way down before stage 2 or 3 of the coat process..........or something like that lol as soon as i get some parts back in the garage ill powder coat them and post pics :)

I just did this today to my air scoop
Valve covers are next on my to do list...

Before
_DSC0935.jpg

After Lollypop Red,,insert screen is Glowing Yellow ring and numbers,,on Ink Black... If I dont like the numbers deal I just flip the screen around,,lol
_DSC0957.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0957.jpg

_DSC0957.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for all the replies.

Has anyone used/done any of this new water coating (water printing or liquid trasfer??) I have seen. I seen where you can get your transmission case coated by one company but can't remember the name.

Thanks for all the replies.

Has anyone used/done any of this new water coating (water printing or liquid trasfer??) I have seen. I seen where you can get your transmission case coated by one company but can't remember the name.

I've used the water dipping also known as hydrgraphics. You can have that done to just about any part out there. There are lots of patterns available. Just be sure to ask plenty of questions when you find a place to do it. If the part is large, there will be a seam. I had it done on my bell housing and timing cover. See link below

http://www.tbucketeers.com/threads/hydrographics.14030/#post-149632

Hydro graphics or hydro dipping the film is an oil base paint.. I have had success with powder up to 400 degrees. It is a cool effect and i dont know of anything it cant be applied to...it does Require a clear coat..
and their are getting more and more patterns all the time

Texas,,,north of Amarillo

I live 3 miles from the site of the greatest open wheel oval race in the world, and 8 miles from the site of the greatest drag race in the world. Indianapolis. My memorial Day and Labor day weekends are always scheduled :thumbsup:

Powder coating is the way to go. If they don't have the color that you want I am sure that they can get if for you. It is a lot easier to keep clean.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back