Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Powerglide Woes

choppedtop

I did my first overhaul on a late model Powerglide. It goes forward, but has no reverse. Luckily I still have the body off, so pulling it back out is no big deal. I am getting good at it now. They are pretty simple trannys, but I suspect so am I. I think there is a gasket on the tail shaft housing that has to have a hole opened up for this tranny. Anyway, I have a "real" transmission guy that said we will do the fix and re-rebuild it together. Hot rods are fun.
Lee

I did that exact same thing on a glide years ago and the trans I had, was one with a rear pump in it. I had one of the holes blocked and the rear pump could not get fluid. Most of them don't have 2 pumps.

Mine has rear pump also.That is what I was told to check. Will the tail housing slide back without removing more stuff from the main housing...Duh, silly question,,it would have to. Did yours have a gasket and the plate. Also, I am wondering in that little nail looking drive pin may have sneaked out. I was told also that the gasket was not needed. Sounded not right to me.
Lee

Luckily I still have the body off, so pulling it back out is no big deal. I am getting good at it now.

I've gotten good at lifting my body off too. I've done it so many times, it's second nature now. Luckily I have a use of a forklift.

Mine has rear pump also.That is what I was told to check. Will the tail housing slide back without removing more stuff from the main housing...Duh, silly question,,it would have to. Did yours have a gasket and the plate. Also, I am wondering in that little nail looking drive pin may have sneaked out. I was told also that the gasket was not needed. Sounded not right to me.
Lee

That was 40 years ago, I don't remember. I do know that with a rear pump you can push start that car.

Figured it out! Finally decided it was the trans that does not use a gasket between main case and pump plate. Re-assembled without gasket, and now have reverse along with two forward gears. Only took about 45 minutes to correct the problems and 3 or 4 days of worry.
Lee

After I got the reverse working, the hi gear would start slipping after about a quarter of a mile, or trans fluid warmed a bit. Another tear down. Found the front ring on the front pump was broken. My fault. Trans works great now. BUT, the engine with less than forty miles on it decided to start knocking. Pulled the pan, and found all rod and main bearings gone, along with the crank. I think maybe the guy that rebuilt it didn't resize the rods for roundness. picking up a new long block Monday. Tuesday should be back on the road again. Oh well, I need something to do any way. I hope SSI gives me a raise next week, ya right.
Happy 4th, Lee

Did you ck. oil pump, dist. drive gear (along with cam /dist gear), etc. Thrust bearing ? Unless the connecting rods were from various engines and the rod caps were mixed up then machining would not be needed. A valve job, rings, bearings, timing chain, cam & lifters and oil pump rebuild shouldn't die after 40 miles. Its just a refresh. If you do a postmortem, let us know wha happoned.

John

You will be lucky if they (SSI) don't take more to feed, cloth, and educate the masses from south of the border.

Reactions: RPM
Yes this was the 153 4 cyl. chevy. The rod journals were not round, they were oblong. Pistons, lifters, and cam can be salvaged. Oil pump also is fine. Ok, you guys don't laugh, but the toilet paper filter trapped everything. I have used them since 1969, when I first seen what they really did. I call them John Wayne filters. They are tough, and don't take crap off on anyone.
Lee

This isn't a Frantz brand, but works just the same. It is a beehive shape, and made by Stilko. Genuine Frantz filters are still being produced. People think I am nuts when I say they work and work well. Ok by me. This problem was caused by carelessness on the builder.
I was kind of surprised also that I found a long block the first call I made. The guy said he had several cranks and cams for them also.
Lee

Have gotten the new engine back in my OT roadster. Runs good, no leaks and has good oil pressure. Come to find out, the previous builder had mixed the rod caps. I know I found one on backwards. Crank was totally junk, and had to get new one. All is well now, and the wife can drive it to cars shows.
Lee

LOL! Like a 153ci 4 cylinder Chebby should. It does fine for the 3/4 scale 32 roadster. It barely weighs 1000 pounds. It will be fine for my wife to make some of local shows in. Has much more torque than did the 60hp flatty with the 5 speed. This one should be close to 100hp, with double the torque. Fun little car to run around in, but less floor space than a stock bucket has. My knees are in my arm pits, but my wife is 5'1" so it is just right for her.
Lee

IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2447.jpg

There ya go John. Like I said, it's an off topic car.

That is just so darn cute ! What's the wheelbase ? Could you fit a 27 body with a track nose on the frame ? Make it a high boy.
Or maybe a modified touring body with a roadster truck flat back to determine the firewall to back of body dimentions. With just an gas tank you might have room to stretch out in it while the little lady drives.
I was gonna say "nice little ride" but instead I will say " nice smaller ride".

BTW, rather see a nice OT early roadster than an OT political brouhaha.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back