Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Quarter eliptical spring suspension

rcruse

What about this type of suspension? It appears to be half a regular leaf spring running from the rear end housing to about midway toward the front of car. One half spring on each side of car. Do these work? Pro and con. They run right next to rear radius rods but under car. Ted? Thanks Ron Cruse, Bodfish, Calif.:ciao:

rcruse said:
What about this type of suspension? It appears to be half a regular leaf spring running from the rear end housing to about midway toward the front of car. One half spring on each side of car. Do these work? Pro and con. They run right next to rear radius rods but under car. Ted? Thanks Ron Cruse, Bodfish, Calif.:ciao:
Yes that type of spring will work, IF you use them from the long end of the spring, as we are dealing with such a light weight body, compared to what most springs come off of. I see lots of these being used, but I think they are mostly too short to give any good ride at all, short is not good when it comes to springs, of any type, for a great ride... plus most are mounted so that too many things are in a bind when the chassis moves up and down, or trys to move that is... I was thinking of doing a rear suspension using a full leaf spring on each side, pivot in the center and shackle on the frame end, for a real smooth ride...:)

This is my frame with QE suspension
RPU

I have seen it used in the rear before but never the front. This is what t buckets are all about living on the edge.

Hey strateaxle is that the way you are going to mount the axle to the springs? Looks cool but alot of people on go to tube axles for strength.Just thinking safety is all.

There is nothing wrong with I beam axles, as far as strength goes, and they look great, just a bit narrow for me, short space from the RR/spring hanger hole in the axle to the king pin, makes for a tight fit when trying for a short turning radius, is all.... :)

Maybe someone can give directions to that post it didn't work for me. that post has the best 1/4 eliptical pics i have seen. Francis

Here is a shot of how I did mine. It has proven to be very good handling and riding. With my wife and I both having very little "natural" padding on our own "seats", I'm sure that we would feel any poor riding condition.

IMG_2313.jpg

Jim

Ted has a point. The I beam will increase your tunring radius but ... as long as i can make a 90 degree turn at the stop sign .. that's all the radius i need. The only stock axel/bones that are going to give you a big problem are those from a '41 to'48. Anything from the prior years with a 36" or less length bone will work just fine. I prefer the '35-6 axel for it's smile.

Ron

Jim thats the pic I was lookin for I intend to do mine that way, I thought about coilovers but I like the 1/4 elitticals better.They look like they belong there.... Francis

My Kid is using a Posies QE rear spring setup in conjunction with a four bar setup. Haven't driven the car yet, but there is no reason to believe it won't ride and handle well. Pretty straightforward setup to install too.

Don

RPUframeBIB2076.jpg

VERY nice Don!

Jim

Hey EXJUNK nice suspension. How does that ride with just friction shocks? most people switch to hydraulic.

As I said in my earlier post Putz:

With my wife and I both having very little "natural" padding on our own "seats", I'm sure that we would feel any poor riding condition.

That also included the use of the friction shocks.

Jim

Hi im only new here so if its wrong please delete
I have run 1/4 elip in mine for yrs i will try to put pics up can take closeups if anyone needs them cheers Dave
IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back