Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radius rods

the front rods should be the same length as your drag link to keep bump steer at a minimum. the rear rods should, in therory be the same length as the distance from your front U-joint to the rear axle housing, keep wear on the U-joints at a minimum.

Ron

Since most of us simply buy off the rack radius rods, we go with whatever length Speedway, Total Performance, Pete and Jakes, SoCal, etc carries. If possible, use the longest ones you can buy, something like 32 inches I think.

In some applications it is impossible to get the draglink and radius rod to be the same length because of how the steering mounts, but try at least to get the arc points to intersect, like the one in this picture.

Don

donstpaintedframeoutside007-1.jpg

If you use a Corvair box and mount it ontop of the frame, then you can get the radius rods the correct length. There is no interference that way.

We can make radius rods any length you like we have made some 60" long.

this is where buying a chassis from total or spirit simplifies a build. they have done all the trial and error work for you. even trying to copy there setups leads to the t&e process. i personally haven't been sold on totals steering setup. JMO. in my experience it much easier to set up the 'vair box on top of the frame for a home builder. it also gives a more comfortable steering wheel angle. again just my opinion.

Ron

Don
Is this your ride,Do you have any more pics I could look at ,My father and I are going to build from scratch so I am getting all info I can before we start.I have built race car chassis before but a bucket will be the first,I am thankful for any help I can get
Thanks

akitagandy said:
Don
Is this your ride,Do you have any more pics I could look at ,My father and I are going to build from scratch so I am getting all info I can before we start.I have built race car chassis before but a bucket will be the first,I am thankful for any help I can get
Thanks

check your email I sent you a lot of info.

The best radius rods in the industry are made by Ron Pope in Tennesee. It's really quite amazing that a single man in a small shop could out produce the major big shops on this.
Ron's sucess is quite simple. He uses one inch tubing instead of 7/8ths. His wall thickness is greater coming in at .216 I believe over .156.
He uses a mandrel bender and all his bends are equal. His welds are solid with no purosity. He threads all the rods to customer's request. Good service, good shipping,a no-nonsense approach. just an awesome product.
I look forward to buying more of these radius rods when I need them. The best in the industry. Who wooda thunk it?Good goin' Ron-... Mikey

akitagandy said:
Don
Thanks

Here, try this thread I did over a period of a year and a half. Once you weed through a lot of off topic stuff there might be some ideas in there for you. We got off the subject a lot, but it was a fun build.

Project $ 3 K Is Underway - Club Hot Rod Forums

Don

donsrods said:
Since most of us simply buy off the rack radius rods, we go with whatever length Speedway, Total Performance, Pete and Jakes, SoCal, etc carries. If possible, use the longest ones you can buy, something like 32 inches I think.

In some applications it is impossible to get the draglink and radius rod to be the same length because of how the steering mounts, but try at least to get the arc points to intersect, like the one in this picture.

Don

donstpaintedframeoutside007-1.jpg

Don, what tires did you use for this blue bucket?

thomas:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back