Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear axle leak

Tjbucket

I have a 57 chevy rear end that I cannot stop from leaking out the axles. I have replace the bearings which are sealed....still leaked. Then I found some rear end oil compatible permatrex and sealed them with that and still leaking......out of ideas?? Does anyone have this problem? Suggestions??

Sounds like the tube where the seals fit is bad.

Sounds like the tube where the seals fit is bad.

That is what I am left scratching my head about....there is no seal, it is sealed bearing....so, my thought about the surface that the bearing sits against not being straight and adding sealer did not work. Now I am out of options....or am I?

Honestly, I don't see how a sealer would do a good job. Maybe I'm wrong, but logically a warped fitting would be about the only way it could leak. Hopefully, some one else will join in with info.

what are you trying to seal with permatex? The seals? Are the axle tubes round and tight, or worn where the bearing/seal mounts?

I used the permatex where the bearing seats in the axle tube. It is not normal permatex, but special for rear end grease. Not sure how they can be worn....they are basically press fit.

Could there be a scratch or something in the housing to allow the oil to seem out? Could it be leaking around the shaft and the inside bearing race? Are the sealed bearings stock? I don't remember. But if not, can you add an actual seal? If it's leaking between the bearing and the housing, the only thing I can think of without a machine shops assistance would be to pull the bearings and seal them to the housing when reinstalled, if it's getting between the axle and bearing, not sure if sealer would work or not due to the weight and movement. If the bearings are sealed and don't require lube, what about lowering the lube level a bit? The ring gear will sling it to the pinion. Just a thought. I know that the newer GM trucks don't fill the housing to the fill hole, they only hold three quarts, which is much lower than the fill hole. I know this because my truck had the cover rust out, yes rust out, and leaked and I had to rebuild it. GRRR!

:cool:lol

I'd post a pic or two detailing what you need to consider but I don't have time unfortunately!
Not all tri-five bearings were the same and there are certain ways to position the seals depending on the bearing type and year used.
Here you go...
Rear axle seal question - TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice
That's a good link! I didn't realize exactly how they designed the bearings. I have one of those rearends in my bucket, no leaks so far, but good to know the difference in the bearings for future reference. I wonder if tjbucket just ended up with inferior bearings with the wrong seals?

Yea. Injecting the "difficult struggle" to post pics. It's just funny, now.

I didn't have time!!!
No difficult struggle...just that I was about to leave the house.

Actually that link was better than just a quick explanation and a pic so it worked out.

Reactions: RPM
Keep trying to feel superior by making light of others skills [[or lack thereof] , that's the way to do it... sheesh ! I'd far rather be a good fabricater/welder/builder than a keyboard whiz !!
dave

LMFAO When have I made fun of anyone's skills? Seriously, WTF are you rambling about? Hey, if you have a problem, just move along. That's what I usually do with your posts. Use the "Ignore" feature, baby.

Man, you really crack me up with your SHIT. Seriously, you do.

Last edited:
Keep trying to feel superior by making light of others skills [[or lack thereof] , that's the way to do it... sheesh ! I'd far rather be a good fabricater/welder/builder than a keyboard whiz !!
dave

Freakin' hilarious!

It's a shame you weren't taught to keep a civil tongue ...
dave

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out what your problem is.:confused: So, tell me, when have I made light of someone else's skills?

Waiting.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back