Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear axle leak

I'd post a pic or two detailing what you need to consider but I don't have time unfortunately!
Not all tri-five bearings were the same and there are certain ways to position the seals depending on the bearing type and year used.
Here you go...
Rear axle seal question - TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice

I did not realize the Chevy bearing had an external o-ring like the early Olds/Pontiacs. This was and still is the standard design used in most all drag racing cars today although most are based on the 3,150" OD Ford 9" bearing. Some early designs had a open face (no seal) on the differential side. The bearing was lubricated from oil spiraling down the axle shaft. With the bearing being double shielded there is no need for external lubrication. The o-ring design seals oil from working its way past the outer bearing case. Sometimes the housing can get egg shaped due to high wheel impacts, welding warpage either radially or out of square (perpendicular) to the differential. This is one of the reasons I don't like heavy welding on the axle tube without re-aligning or replacing the bearing housing. Hope this clears the air to some extent. Thanks for posting the Chevy bearing link. I learn something everyday.

George

Back to the original topic, I agree what Ron Said , if it has a vent make sure its not plugged.

As the rear end builds pressure, it will find the easiest path out,( the seals). I.M.O.

I'd post a pic or two detailing what you need to consider but I don't have time unfortunately!
Not all tri-five bearings were the same and there are certain ways to position the seals depending on the bearing type and year used.
Here you go...
Rear axle seal question - TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice

Hacker,
Thanks much.....I just replaced the bearing with what I took out originally (which also leaked, hence that is why I replaced them) the only difference being the old ones had 2 O-rings on the outside verses just one. Both bearing are sealed on one side and open on the inside.....neither had the lip seal on the inside. I have the lower bearing in the post you put up, those that are referred to as junk. I will track some on the good bearings down and that should solve my problem.

Back to the original topic, I agree what Ron Said , if it has a vent make sure its not plugged.
Yes, vent is clear.....checked that out the second time I had the axles out. First time, when I put, new bearings in.....found them leaking and pulled the axles, use permatex on the seat area....checked breather.....reassembled, to find them leaking yet again. I am going with the info Hacker posted and give new bearings a shot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back