Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear radius rods and body clearance!

John 89

Hey guys, I have been doing some searching and mocking up trying to figure this out but need some help. So far I have built my frame and tacked up the rear spring and radius components to the rear axle. I am now thinking the rear rods may not clear the floor of the body. The bat wings are 3 inches from the frame but since the kick up is about 14 inches ( going for a low stance) the radius rods are sitting a little above the frame towards the back.

Should I look at relocating the batwings towards the outside more? Or maybe think about mounting them inside the frame? The frame is 27 7/8 s wide in the rear. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you set the body on it to be sure yet ? And is the frame gonna sit flush with the bottom or is it gonna sit on top of the frame ?

That"s the situation I ran into. I'm going to move my batwings out 1" and fabricate some outrigging for the front mounts, about 3" from the rail. That solved my issue.

I'm thinking that is what I might have to do. Does anyone know the width of a typical bucket body at the bottom rear? I know they are usually 45ish inches at the widest point.

Mine starts at 34" at the bottom and tapers out to 46" The best way is to set the body on and mock up the rods then figure out the mounts. I don't think it will be as much as you think. I.M.O.

image.jpg image.jpg

The board is 34 inches long, trying to give myself an idea of what I'll have to do. I know, I know I really need to have the body to really mock this up. Just trying to get Stuff done while waiting for funds.

What about a dropped rear radius rod mount?

dropmount_zpsd2332830.jpg

They are just tacked on but are pretty beefy tacks. How much for a pair? (I have been emailing you about a body today too)

Great idea, I'll be changing mine. I also will have a low stance and the extra clearance will work better. Thanks Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back