Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear shock mounts

putz

Have to say I haven't seen rear shock mounts like this before.No front shocks either
ebay link

My understanding is orientation doesn't make any difference if the shocks are valved 50/50. It would make a difference if they are differentially valved, like 60 up/40 down.

My understanding is orientation doesn't make any difference if the shocks are valved 50/50. It would make a difference if they are differentially valved, like 60 up/40 down.

I don't think they are talking about the shocks being upside down. They bottoms are mounted near the center of the axle instead of the outside of the axle. They pretty much don't do anything that way other then stabilize the body.LOL.

crazyshocksetup.jpg

Look like trophy material???????????????? Need a ladder to get out.

The first number is the down pressure, the second is the up pressure, remember the old 90-10 shocks that guys used to put on their gassers, lifted easy off the line and tired to hold the chassis up after that... 60 - 40s should work pretty good on a light street car...

The first number is the down pressure, the second is the up pressure, remember the old 90-10 shocks that guys used to put on their gassers, lifted easy off the line and tired to hold the chassis up after that... 60 - 40s should work pretty good on a light street car...
Every shock i've seen are mounted the same way.They look right to me.Not the angle but the orientation of the shock.Like Ted said the rod should go up but anymore you can put them any way you want i guess.

I think that turning the shocks upside down originated with the midget and sprint car guys. They did it to get more of the shocks weight on the sprung side of the ledger as opposed to the unsprung portion. At least that is the first place that I noticed that setup practiced. Probably more critical on 700 lb. midgets and 1100 lb. sprinters.

Shocks? I thought they were an Iranian Panhard Bar..... If we were face to face I'd probably say Polish Panhard Bar, but I don't want to offend any of Polish heritage. I lived in Milwaukee* for many years.

These shocks might work if the car were driven over a speed bump where both shocks are compressed at the same time and with equal loading.

Obviously, on this car the shocks are at best of marginal value. Old Round Fart has it right.

* Because Milwaukee is somewhat divided by a valley running East and West that Milwaukee is further divided as the North side has a large black population and the South side
has the Polish and Germans. Why? that simple, the North side got first choice.......

I don't think they are talking about the shocks being upside down. They bottoms are mounted near the center of the axle instead of the outside of the axle. They pretty much don't do anything that way other then stabilize the body.LOL.

crazyshocksetup.jpg
It's important to stick with a symmetric look. This does get your attention, but in my opinion, anyway, poor design. Looks wrong.

It also sits really high the front spring perch is mounted under neath the front cross beam. jacking it up so it must be hard to get in.

Not real wild about the car at all. Heck, some of you probably don't like mine either. But to each his own.

Matt

The purpose of a shock is to control spring oscillations. In standard shocks the control is built into the shock. Some variation of this control can be built into the chassis by changing the lower mounting points of the shock. This is called the shock motion ratio and it is stiffest when the shock is mounted vertically. The farther away from vertical the softer the shock becomes. This applies to moving either way, but actual wheel control suffers more the farther away from the wheel one places the lower mount.

The mounting position shown exerts very little wheel control, but in a light vehicle it could be sufficient as the shocks appear to be quite large. Okay now that I said something positive I'll say that in this case the shocks appear to also be acting as a lateral locating system for the coil spring rear suspension. Lateral locating systems usually are fixed length mechanical systems such as a panhard bar or a Watts Link that keep the rear housing centered under the frame. Shocks will not do this as one side will contract as the other side expands. By chance the builder may have used a stiff enough shock to get some stability from the system if driven at slower speeds and the turns are not too tight or reverse direction quickly.

Would I want to drive it? Like the above posters, NO! I always thought it would be difficult to roll a T bucket until I saw this setup. If you buy it for a good price plan on a complete redo of the rear suspension at the very least and probably the front too to get the whole car several inches lower.

Al

:soapbox: Those shocks were obviously installed by someone who doesn't understand automotive engineering at all. I'd consider the whole vehicle suspect in this case, and I'd only buy it for the price of the parts, minus the work it would take to completely rebuild it. It just amazes me when people do dumb things like that! I do lot's of dumb things, but this is a case of plain old blattant ignorance. NOTE: I said the person was ignorant, and that does not imply a lack of intelegence, only that they don't know what they are doing. We are ALL ignorant on many subjects, you just need to know when you DON'T know...

Maybe it was growing up in the country around lot's of machinery, or maybe it was the countless days spent roaming the local wrecking yards studying cars, or maybe it's through many years of experience (read "lot's of stupid mistakes"), or maybe it is just from lot's of reading and learning about automotive design and function, but when I see things like this it just makes me shake my head and wonder how many of these machines have been built without basic engineering knowledge. This is not acceptable! If you don't know, ask before you do! That's what this forum is all about, I think...

End soap box...
Corley

PS Spelling is one of the things I'm pretty ignorant about, so please excuse the obvious spelling errors!

:soapbox: Those shocks were obviously installed by someone who doesn't understand automotive engineering at all. I'd consider the whole vehicle suspect in this case, and I'd only buy it for the price of the parts, minus the work it would take to completely rebuild it. It just amazes me when people do dumb things like that! I do lot's of dumb things, but this is a case of plain old blattant ignorance. NOTE: I said the person was ignorant, and that does not imply a lack of intelegence, only that they don't know what they are doing. We are ALL ignorant on many subjects, you just need to know when you DON'T know...

Maybe it was growing up in the country around lot's of machinery, or maybe it was the countless days spent roaming the local wrecking yards studying cars, or maybe it's through many years of experience (read "lot's of stupid mistakes"), or maybe it is just from lot's of reading and learning about automotive design and function, but when I see things like this it just makes me shake my head and wonder how many of these machines have been built without basic engineering knowledge. This is not acceptable! If you don't know, ask before you do! That's what this forum is all about, I think...

End soap box...
Corley

PS Spelling is one of the things I'm pretty ignorant about, so please excuse the obvious spelling errors!

Spelling is pretty good. Puncuation is my downfall but you should download a spellchecker.These even help me I can spell but can't type.So it catches my wrong hit keys.

spell check link

:whisper: Those shocks are not mounted upside down they are missing the rod covers. It also has a panhard rod installed if you look closely. :soapbox: They may not be installed as you or I would mount them. But to each his own.

one thing about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ti's Diffrerent...................! :hoist:

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back