Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear Spring vs Coil Over

fillinjc

Can anyone describe the difference between CCR's rear spring and coil over suspensions regarding ride and handling? I would like to build a 50's type roadster and am liking the thought of the rear spring but don't want to end up with some thing I hate to drive.

Thanks,
Jerry

To use a rear transverse is a choice you will have to make, here are a few things to consider;
A transverse spring has a center pivot point and tends to roll, this gets worse when a front transverse spring is used also (think of balancing the frame on two jackstands instead of four).
Coil overs tend to have less roll because they are mounted towards the outside of the frame (put two jackstands under the rear of the frame where the coil-overs would mount and one under the front in the center). a bit more stable! Put four under it and you get the idea.
When using a rear spring it will help to use quality rear gas charged shocks as far outboard as possible and would even be better to run an anti-roll bar.
Coil-overs are adjustable in spring rates, spring compression and lengths (some even have shock dampening adjustments). Spring are designed for a specific rate and may have the choice of reversed eyes or standard eyes for height adjustment.
The reason I say it's your choice is that to get the look you may be after, a coil-over set up may not be period correct, but would be the better driving/handling option then the transverse spring/gas shock combo.

To use a rear transverse is a choice you will have to make, here are a few things to consider;
A transverse spring has a center pivot point and tends to roll, this gets worse when a front transverse spring is used also (think of balancing the frame on two jackstands instead of four).
Coil overs tend to have less roll because they are mounted towards the outside of the frame (put two jackstands under the rear of the frame where the coil-overs would mount and one under the front in the center). a bit more stable! Put four under it and you get the idea.
When using a rear spring it will help to use quality rear gas charged shocks as far outboard as possible and would even be better to run an anti-roll bar.
Coil-overs are adjustable in spring rates, spring compression and lengths (some even have shock dampening adjustments). Spring are designed for a specific rate and may have the choice of reversed eyes or standard eyes for height adjustment.
The reason I say it's your choice is that to get the look you may be after, a coil-over set up may not be period correct, but would be the better driving/handling option then the transverse spring/gas shock combo.

Very well said, Jerry.

Jim

Jerry, Thanks for the descriptive explanation. Answers my question perfectly. I don't think that anyone will call the buggy I am planning period correct. I can see that the coil-over setup will be my choice on the rear.

Jerry

Hot Rodders in the 50's were real hard asses. We've gotten soft.

LOL! Fred you hit the nail on the head! I remember heading to Gatlinburg Tn. from Atlanta Ga. in October (about 3 hours) in the rain! Don't think I could do that in a t now!

Been caught in the rain a few times, I found out a poncho works the best for rain protection. Has a hood & a lot of materal to cover you up.

Been caught in the rain a few times, I found out a poncho works the best for rain protection. Has a hood & a lot of materal to cover you up.
Been caught in the rain in ragtops many times, as long as you keep moving, not bad, it's when you slow down you get wet.... I drive like a mad man to find a overpass or similar spot to put the top up. Better not be in the way! Lol.

There is a 3rd(and I feel better) option for a period plausible use of leaf springs, that eliminates the roll issue of transverse leafs...longitudinal quarter elliptic leafs. Research early MG Midget rear suspensions for a good example. They also feature period plausible lever shocks. If I were looking to build a period car, it would be my preferred configuration.

Been caught in the rain in ragtops many times, as long as you keep moving, not bad, it's when you slow down you get wet.... I drive like a mad man to find a overpass or similar spot to put the top up. Better not be in the way! Lol.

I once drove from Ft Wayne IN to Defiance OH in an MG-B with no top and stuck in 2nd gear...in freezing rain and sleet. (see young & stupid) I ended up loosing my voice almost entirely for weeks, and it's been messed up ever since. Before I had a good enough voice to do good impressions of Neil Diamond. Now at almost 60, I range from sounding like James Earl Jones to like a pubescent teenager...in the same sentence. Unfortunately more of the latter than the earlier.

There is another option...

G

Those opposed coils are so cool. I wonder why they never caught on. Are they expensive? Was Dan Woods the only guy using them?

Think this is the first one with opposed coils on a back end, but someone may know different. Its a mirror of the Dan woods front end on my T.
If I ever do a trailer it would have the same set up.

Oh and you are right, they are not cheap.

There is another option...

G
Sharp looking set-up, but way to pricey for my budget. There are all kinds of options if you stray from the leaf or coil-over options. I'm going with air bags on mine. Torsion bars potentially make for a clean setup.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back