Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Reborn project

Nice proportions.:thumbsup:

Yes it does look good. And these things are always subjective with some judgement calls being a matter of inches or even just 1 inch.
Some of my preferences.
I prefer that the headers, in a finished car, should always run parallel to the ground. Never lower in the rear. Ever. Can be marginally higher in the rear. Frame & engine rake will also come into play with header positioning. It's almost as if headers should be the last thing constructed with the car fully completed and at full weight. And yes, I said constructed.
Then one decides what the headers will align with. The body ? The visible frame ? The top of the body, if it is straight ? The pick up bed (and what does THAT align with ? Top of the body or bottom edge of the body ?)
How about the radiator shell to body cowl lip ? Run some adhesive strips from the radiator shell to the cowl lip to see what that line looks like. Might have to raise the radiator or lower the body (or both) to achieve balance. I like a smooth, flowing look. Everything is integrated.
Windshield height & rake. Just say this, "not too much". Either way.

I'll be back, have to check something. Remember, it is a game of inches.

John

Today was the first time I've driven my t-bucket in 10 years.

Three kids, a career change, endless home repairs, and constant changes in build direction all played a part in turning a 6 month rebuild into a 10 year project. But, looking over at my boys' grins and hearing them yell "faster Dad, faster!" as we took it down the street in front of the house, made it all worth it.

I got a long way to go, but knowing that it has the ability to move and stop on it's own always gets me motivated.

Driving is always a motivator for me! I've had mine since 1979 and one
period of 15 years I didn't drive it. So sad!!!! :(

Congrats!

Well, I've been moving my test drive spiral farther and farther from home, and no huge issues so far. I did put some new rims and tires on it. I like them more than I thought I would.

The specs of the car as it sits now are:
100" wheelbase on a Youngster inspired 1.5"x 3" frame
Spring over 4" drop axle w/'37 Ford split wishbones. Homemade aluminum plate friction shocks. '49 Ford F1 spindles, hubs and brakes.
Reversed Corvair steering w/homemade column
S10 rear axle(3.42 gears) located by a pair of RPM ladder bars. Speedway medium arch spring w/73-87 Chevy truck shocks
Ebay t-bucket radiator with crusty chrome model T shell
'78 Chev 350. Mild cam. Camelback heads, Edelbrock CB4 intake w/Edelbrock 1406. Points distributor w/Pertronix. Speedway headers w/homemade extensions
TH350 with Lokar shifter
Bear body channeled 3". Cut-down stock windshield posts holding a chopped up Total windshield frame
Offenhauser headlight stands
Model T oval gas tank with 2 right side mounts
15x5 front wheels with Firestone 165R15
15x7 rear wheels with Hurst 235/75R15 piecrust cheater slicks

I made what I could, bought what I couldn't. A lot of the parts had been taking up space for years.

Last edited:
Well, I've been moving my test drive spiral farther and farther from home, and no huge issues so far. I did put some new rims and tires on it. I like them more than I thought I would.
Look'n good as is, but I'd be tempted to try out some of the ribbed trim rings.

They're on my "to buy" list. I bought the wheels on a whim, but they're really growing on me.

Sometime those impulse purchases happen because something subconscious has not quite percolated to the conscious. It's cool when a plan comes together...it's a bonus when the unplanned comes together.

Clean and simple. As they should be.

The bucket has been my daily driver lately. At least, whenever it's not raining. A couple of observations so far:
I'm going to have to try some different rear tires. The recapped Hurst cheater slicks look cool, but I can't get them balanced. I tried spinning the tire on the rim, but no matter what it wants at least 9oz of weight per wheel. At around 65-70 mph, it shakes your teeth.
Plus, they're HEAVY! And you can feel the weight. Anyone have a recommendation for a radial tire around 29" tall and 9"wide?

Either the rear of the car needs to come up a couple of inches, or I need to cut, lengthen,and enlarge the driveshaft tunnel. A good bump or a hard launch and the pinion yoke bites the tunnel. I'll probably modify the tunnel, because I love the way the car sits.

I had built the car around an Odyssey PC680 battery because of all the positive reports I had read. I had starting problems, my alternator was charging at 18 volts, and my starter burnt out. I switched to a group 26 battery, put in a new starter and alternator, and now everything works great.

I keep knocking out the little gremlins and driving the cap out of the little car. My boys are rockstars at their schools when Dad drops them off and picks them up in the bucket.

Well, I've been driving her to work every sunny day. Even some that ended up not so sunny. I got caught it a hail storm with 60 mph winds. Ouch! Builds character...right? Nothing like getting poured on, pelted by high speed ice, and dodging branches falling on the road, all while hauling ass to get home to the garage:cool:. Luckily, I had taken off the Hurst cheater slicks 2 days before and mounted up some Mastercraft 265/75R15s. Balance problem solved!

Still plugging away at the little stuff. I've given up on the idea of paint this year. I'm having too much fun to take it off the road!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back