Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Registering tbucket in Illinois

Bart Swisher

Anyone here from Illinois and that has registered their T? Mine is not a kit so I have no Certificate of Origin etc. I do have all the reciepts and bill of sale for the engine, trans, and title for the car I pulled the rearend from.

Will I be able to register this as a "Street Rod" or am I going to have to go through the "Specially Constructed Vehicle" route? I have all of the DMV paper to send off but wanted to know if anyone else has been through this.

Thanks in Advance

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to figure mine out before I end up with a "garage trophy" Mine is pretty much built from scratch type also.

I know this is a very old posting but curious if you could shed light on what you found out and the processes. Thanks

I'm from Illinois and I wish I could help you guys but it's been 47 years since I originally registered my 23 T bucket. At the time I drove it over to the local secretary of states office, they looked at it, I took a guy for a ride in it, he said everything seemed to work OK and gave me some paperwork to fill out. They issued a serial number for the car and I was done. They described it as a used 1923 Ford Model T 2 door on the title even though it doesn't have any doors. I have been running antique plates from day 1 and in the 47 years I've had it I've never had a problem with the state. I know..... it was a different time back then and things weren't as tightly regulated but it was fun thinking about it and remembering the day my bucket was officially legal to drive on the road.

[I know IL can be a pain. They had a guy try and abuse the system is what I heard.]

Here in N.C. we had a guy that had a 1937 Ford Truck that he had $250,000.00 invested in. $150,000.00 just in labor to a famous Alabama custom builder. He bought a title for an original 1937 Ford truck and tried to get it to pass NCDMV inspection. When it was learned that it was a fiberglass replica body, no pass inspection. Talked to head of NCDMV and got a pass on inspection from loss and theft division and granted an "ORIGONAL" 1937 Ford truck title. But alas, no inspection station would inspect it to pass muster.

All said and done, truck was revoked title and head of NCDMV fired for trying to bypass NC laws to help a friend. Friend cost man his job for the sake of not having to pay property taxes and fuel use tax on a vehicle worth $250,000.00. Several thousand dollars in taxes cost him a lot of time and money that will be hard to recoup now that it's a KNOWN vehicle to be scorned by any other states..

He still has the truck stored in a garage. It is a beautiful truck. Just expensive eye candy now. It pays to do things legally.

The story I heard for IL was that a guy bought a bunch of original titles and then try to register all of them for different vehicles that wasn't even close to the same year which threw up a red flag with the state. They investigated the guy and the caught what he was doing. A customer in IL said that is what the DMV lady told him. He tried to use the MSO/Serial number we offer but he said he would have to jump through hoop after hoop and it was possible he wouldn't of gotten a title. Just glad we worked hard with the State of Arkansas to be able to offer an Arkansas title.

Save your receipts.....in Wisconsin, you have to pay sales tax on all components that sales tax wasn't paid on (anything w/o a receipt) that is on the car, before you can get a new title issued.

They have a special section for street rods on the cyberdrive illinois website. its under licensing or titleing a vehicle.

In 2006 I went looking for a ''t'' here in Iowa, I had been looking for a few years but got serious in 2006 , found a want ad for one in Iowa ,called a couple times & talk to owner, he had car inspected & O K 'ed by the D .O.T. with a title in hand . vin. number stamped in the frame. It was not a finished car , looked at & made a offer . He sold it to me. Next day went to court house & got a new title [reconstructed veh.] It was a very easy deal .I had a friend built one , D. O. T. had him build fenders for it. He took 55 gallon bbls.& cut out sections for fenders .Plus putting wipers on . & etc.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back