Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Titles in Florida and elsewhere

Jim B

I am researching obtaining a VIN, title and registration in Florida and have conflicting info. Some of the stuff on the net suggests Florida will allow titles with the year the car is made to resemble. Local officials here seem to want me to register it as a rebuilt wrecked car made with parts. I thought there was someway to register the car as a Custom or Hotrod with a 23 title. In this way, the only specs as far as emission and safety would be what was required in 1923. Anyone know what the real story is here? And how do other states title a home-built frame, fiberglass tub and everything else internet?

Titles are state specific, so don’t get confused by other info unless you plan to title it in another state and later transfer to your state.

Not only do they vary from state to state, but around here, they vary from tag office to tag office.

Has anyone on this forum gone through the process in Florida in the last 10 years or so?

I have discovered that if you start a business in another state, which is as simple as forming an LLC, you can register your vehicle under the business and all is legit. With this new knowledge, what states title the T-bucket as a '23 when it is built using a replica fiberglass body.....anyone?.....anyone?.....Bueller?

SEMA has been actively pushing for new titling legislation over the past few years. Check this link to see what's happening in your state. If you are in a not so friendly state you might look into transferring a vehicle from another state and possibly slide in under a per-exsisting "grandfathered" deal. It's sure worth a look. If you find it would work just get a friend to register your new roadster in his state and let it build a little time there on paper. Later just have him sell you vehicle to you and re-register it in your home state.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Not A Lawyer George!
Street Rod/Custom Vehicle Legislation | SEMA ACTION NETWORK
https://www.semasan.com/semaga/Bills/SEMAModelBill_StreetRod.pdf

I have discovered that if you start a business in another state, which is as simple as forming an LLC, you can register your vehicle under the business and all is legit. With this new knowledge, what states title the T-bucket as a '23 when it is built using a replica fiberglass body.....anyone?.....anyone?.....Bueller?
What do you do for the “physical address” requirement? A postal store?

Btw, if you need a title for a vehicle, look into getting a “ New York bonded title”... be very sure that it’s not stolen.

Never heard of a New York bonded title. What is it?

Bonded means it protects YOU if any part of that car was stolen when it was assembled and you have proof they were not. Kinda an insurance policy to keep you outa jail for stolen car/parts.

I had mine bonded when getting a title because the engine that was in the car I used as a donor was not the original engine from that car, so they (DMV/Licence and Theft) made me get it bonded just in case someone came later and said it was their engine.

You can get titles for vehicles through a new York bonding agent for a fee and after a period of time it can be converted to a standard title. You can transfer it immediately. It's good for lost titles, etc. The bond covers the value in case someone files a claim on the car like an old lien, previous owner, etc. Most old cars without titles are results of improperly handled estates, etc. This wouldn't be for new build titles, but great for barn find cars, etc. There may be other variations of bonding, but new York is the only state that I'm aware of that allows you to obtain a title to a vehicle with a simple bill of sale.

here in alabama we have no titles on anything built before 1974, and now anything over 20 years old all you get is a bill of sell. a buddy picked up a truck with title (1977 chevy) went to the court house and got his tag but they took the title and told him he didn't need one anymore.

I wound up buying a cowl with a vin and a out of state title to title a 30 essex I built. Sometimes you have to bend the rules

Reactions: Guy

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back