Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

residual pressure valve

Francis Blake

How many use residual pressure valves? I was told at the local hot rod shop that they are not necessary, but I have no experience with them so I don't know. Will appreciate any advice.

How many use residual pressure valves? I was told at the local hot rod shop that they are not necessary, but I have no experience with them so I don't know. Will appreciate any advice.

I think they are encouraged when the MC level is level or lower that the brake cylinder. Many of the factory MC have them built in I believe. 2psi for the disc and 10 psi for the drums. I did not use them as my MC is under the dash and I used a MC for a non-power disc/drum Ranger. No pressure issues or the like here. I'm sure there is someone here that can chime in with some more technical reasoning.

I think they are encouraged when the MC level is level or lower that the brake cylinder. Many of the factory MC have them built in I believe. 2psi for the disc and 10 psi for the drums. I did not use them as my MC is under the dash and I used a MC for a non-power disc/drum Ranger. No pressure issues or the like here. I'm sure there is someone here that can chime in with some more technical reasoning.
Nothing more technical here but i have a Total car with the M.C. under the floor with wire weels and the valve would not let the calipers release so i canned it in the front and seams to work fine now.The reason they say to use them is to keep the fluid from returning and over flowing the M.C..

The problem I found with not having them Francis was I had to pump the brakes to get the rear drums to pedal. This was after two different Total Performance M/C.

That is what I gather. if the mc is level with the wheel cylinders use them, after talking to the guy at the hot rod shop I felt like I could get better info here so I will start with them and if they cause a problem I can always take them out. Thanks guys.

The problem I found with not having them Francis was I had to pump the brakes to get the rear drums to pedal. This was after two different Total Performance M/C.
I dont have that problem at all my pedal moves about 3/8 of an inch and the brakes are there.Stiff but there.The wife complains that brakes are to hard to press for her cause there not POWER sheesh this is a hot rod not a cadilac.lol

I dont have that problem at all my pedal moves about 3/8 of an inch and the brakes are there.Stiff but there.The wife complains that brakes are to hard to press for her cause there not POWER sheesh this is a hot rod not a cadilac.lol

When I get out of my '27 and then into my truck I almost always have an immediate panic as the pedal goes down about 3 times what the the hots rod's does!

I had them in my brake lines and never could get a good pedal. I just recently re-did my rear lines and removed the RV. I also removed the one from the front. Now I have a hard pedal. They say they're suppose to keep fluid from flowing back tot he MC, but if the brake system is bled correctly and the MC is full where is that fluid going to flow too?

I had them in my brake lines and never could get a good pedal. I just recently re-did my rear lines and removed the RV. I also removed the one from the front. Now I have a hard pedal. They say they're suppose to keep fluid from flowing back tot he MC, but if the brake system is bled correctly and the MC is full where is that fluid going to flow too?
Makes sense to me. I wondered about that myself. ( I continue spending money on stuff I proly wont need)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back