Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Restart my 27T build

ellis8500

The weather is getting warmer so I've started back on my 27T project. Had it mostly together last summer [see my gallery]; took it apart and started priming metal parts. Then it got cold and I packed it up for the winter. Have been working on the body now. Windshield and side mirrors located. Working on the firewall now. Harness inputs and gas pedal located. Doing final stages of electric system location and harness build planning. Need to install firewall stiffeners for Master cylinder. When I get that stuff done it should be consistently warm enough to get back to priming and painting. Want to get rolling chassis finished before I start final body work and paint. When I'm close to done I'll order interior from Spirit. Would like to be complete by early June.

The weather is getting warmer so I've started back on my 27T project. Had it mostly together last summer [see my gallery]; took it apart and started priming metal parts. Then it got cold and I packed it up for the winter. Have been working on the body now. Windshield and side mirrors located. Working on the firewall now. Harness inputs and gas pedal located. Doing final stages of electric system location and harness build planning. Need to install firewall stiffeners for Master cylinder. When I get that stuff done it should be consistently warm enough to get back to priming and painting. Want to get rolling chassis finished before I start final body work and paint. When I'm close to done I'll order interior from Spirit. Would like to be complete by early June.
What engine is that?

Engine is Ford 302 with GM style HEI dist. and Summit carb. Will have Lakester style headers and under-car exhaust. Engine has been run about 5 hours on the stand after rebuild. Tranny is Ford AOD 4-speed.

Engine is Ford 302 with GM style HEI dist. and Summit carb. Will have Lakester style headers and under-car exhaust. Engine has been run about 5 hours on the stand after rebuild. Tranny is Ford AOD 4-speed.
Where did you find the rear sump oil pan? ... that is exactly what I have been looking for.

The pan you see in the pic is the one that came on the engine. It was in a 1992 Ford F150 pickup. It is a deep, 7 qt pan. I replaced it with a 5 qt pan when I disassembled the car last fall.

The pan you see in the pic is the one that came on the engine. It was in a 1992 Ford F150 pickup. It is a deep, 7 qt pan. I replaced it with a 5 qt pan when I disassembled the car last fall.
The replacement 5 qt ... is it a rear sump also?

Got all the metal parts primed now. Will start with color on the frame tomorrow afternoon. Now it looks like I hope to have the rolling chassis complete by early June. As much as it hurts, and I know some of you guys can relate to this, my wife has stuff for me to do. The nerve!!!!! And, I always have to keep enough of the garage cleared for her car! Imagine that!

Got all the metal parts primed now. Will start with color on the frame tomorrow afternoon. Now it looks like I hope to have the rolling chassis complete by early June. As much as it hurts, and I know some of you guys can relate to this, my wife has stuff for me to do. The nerve!!!!! And, I always have to keep enough of the garage cleared for her car! Imagine that!
This might help ask her if she knows why wedding dresses are white? so the dishwasher matches the stove :suicide:that might help.

Rear axle, frame and some suspension parts painted. Need to do more suspension parts. Should be able to have rolling chassis done by June. Then the body work starts. Some new pics in the gallery.

Wow Bill, that looks great!!

Ron

Ready to put rolling chassis together now. Rearrange garage again and get er done. Just a lot of bolts to install and 3 real heavy items; frame, rear axle and engine/tranny. Maybe some new pics in my gallery next week.

Got the rolling chassis almost ready for the engine/tranny. A few more holes to drill and tap. But it's been so dang hot!!!! When it's 100 outside it's way too hot to do much in the garage even with a big fan running. Hoping to get started on the body finishing by the end of August.

Rolling chassis is done to the point where I'm ready for the body. Started that up again last night. Had to wait for the terrible summer heat to leave so I could work in the garage. Just about have the windshield posts mounted; at the minor adjustment point now. Have some epoxy work to do this week. Should be ready for primer next week. Will post some pics to my gallery.

The way your rear shocks are mounted is great. I had to take the body off of my 27 to make some improvements so I will just go ahead and do every thing that needs doing, it's to late in the year to get in a hurry now.

Got windshield posts mounted and "grouted". Coated back side of post mount area with grease. Taped pieces of wax paper to the body. Mounted and adjusted posts into position. Removed wax paper. Grease on posts never touches body so epoxy putty sticks to body and not posts. Got some putty that has a 20 minute working time so didn't have to hurry. Packed the gaps between posts and body with putty. Waited an hour or so and removed posts. Epoxy "gasket" firmly attached to body. Will finish up with some fillets and sanding. Makes for a good looking mount pad. Did same sort of thing with the round tail lights at the rear..mating a flat surface to a curved surface.

Getting ready to shoot primer on the fiberglass parts today. Just has to warm up a bit more out there. Get the doors, grill shell, trunk lid done today. Body tomorrow afternoon.

Got the chassis wiring run yesterday. Through the frame for up front and harness for the rear end stuff. Gonna get the body painted by someone who has experience. I found my limitations when it comes to painting. Now I need to make the main harness and fuse panel. I sure hope it's done this spring. Seems I'm about a year behind my original plans. Got a lot of people waiting for a ride. Oh, wife says I can't take it to Hooters without her being with me. Go figure.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back