Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Restoration / Rebuild Begins

The '57 Olds J2 engine sold today on eBay for $2025, hate to see it go, liked the fact that it added a nostalgic touch to the car, but it will be much easier to finish with a more common engine. Don't hate me.

No sweat. With cash like that in hand you can get along ways on your project.

Ron

Thanks Ron,
The guy that won the auction lives in Connecticut (or so his profile says). I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a nightmare, the auction specifically stated there was no shipping, Local Pickup (I'm in Oregon), buyer is responsible for any shipping coordination and/or expense. We'll see if he has the money to ship a 1000+ lb engine and transmission across the country after paying me.

Yes, I hear you there, as they say, it is not over till the fat Lady sings...

Well, it seems she can carry a tune. Engine is paid for and ready for the shipper to pick it up.

Now I have to buy some goodies so I can get this thing back together. We built the rear radius rods last week, got the heim joints and clevis' a couple days ago, and are going to be welding the new frame together tomorrow. I found a SBC out of a '70 C10 pickup on Craigslist this weekend, it's still in the truck so I can hear it run. I'll be going to look at it this week, he says he can have it pulled out within a day or two after that. In the mean time I'll use another (empty) block and TH350 trans I have to mock it up on the new frame. Just need to get a Corvair steering box, and figure out what I'm going to use for a steering column. Then it's time to tear it all apart for paint.

The new frame is welded and the axles are once again mocked into place. I also bought a rebuilt Chevy 350 to replace the Olds engine I sold.
We converted the spring-over front axle to a spring-behind to get the front even lower. All I have left on the suspension is to build a pan hard bar. Should have that done tomorrow, if the rain holds off I may roll it outside and set the body and engine in place.

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

The tie rod is temporary so I can roll it around. I have to get new brackets

Just a note here, looks like you did not have to use a spring spreader to install that spring, it should have the shackles pointing straight out with no weight on the frame, then if all is correct, at a 45 degree angle when totally loaded and ready to run... another thing, if you wanted it lower, that front spring perch could have been mounted upside down, with the flanges to the bottom, and the spring mounted to the top of the perch, just harder to raise later if needed... Looking clean, OH, do that rear Panhard bar as long as will fit, outside bracket on the frame one driver's side to close to backing plate on the riders side, keeping it as level as possible when ready to ride... IMHO :)

Looking good Steve. If you can get it out where you can stand back to look at the mock up you can move things around to get the "Look" you want. Hard to do in a small shop.

Ron

Lots of work has been done, everything is now mounted on the frame, brakes are bled, just need to order the exhaust, mount the body and run the wiring. Found a guy in N Washington state that has a new (Speedway) '32 Bantam body he wants to trade for a '23 t-bucket body. Figured if I'm gonna rebuild this might as well make it unique. Haven't bought it yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

Steve ... what happened to the car you bought?

Ron

Steve,

We LOVE progress! Thought about you as I gassed up at Fredies in Salem yesterday on the way to Florence. Sorry, rain today for you! (Me too.)

Corley

@youngster, I'm still working with what remains of that car, I've replaced most of it (replaced the frame & front axle, sold the Olds motor & trans), will end up with the rear axle, wheels & tires and body from the original, doubt i'll get the Bantam body, too far away to make it worth while

Thanks Ron,
The guy that won the auction lives in Connecticut (or so his profile says). I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a nightmare, the auction specifically stated there was no shipping, Local Pickup (I'm in Oregon), buyer is responsible for any shipping coordination and/or expense. We'll see if he has the money to ship a 1000+ lb engine and transmission across the country after paying me.

I just bought a 500 Caddy motor and trans with several boxes of spare parts. Bought it on Ebay, it was near Chicago, had it shipped to our shop in east TN for $200 on Uship.com

"Just need to get a Corvair steering box, and figure out what I'm going to use for a steering column. Then it's time to tear it all apart for paint."
Why not just use a Corvair column? Small, has signals and would be easy to use with the Corvair steering box. The '64 up ones have a better, easier-to-find signal switch.

Dave

"Just need to get a Corvair steering box, and figure out what I'm going to use for a steering column. Then it's time to tear it all apart for paint."
Why not just use a Corvair column? Small, has signals and would be easy to use with the Corvair steering box. The '64 up ones have a better, easier-to-find signal switch.

Dave
Give Ron a call at RPM he usualy has corvair box's.

Dave
That would be great, but I haven't been able to find one locally. I think I have the column figured out.

Give Ron a call at RPM he usualy has corvair box's.
Thanks, but I was able to find one on eBay, already have it reversed and mounted to the frame

I just bought a 500 Caddy motor and trans with several boxes of spare parts. Bought it on Ebay, it was near Chicago, had it shipped to our shop in east TN for $200 on Uship.com

Oregon to Connecticut is a lot farther than Illinois to Tennessee though. The first quote he got was over $1000, but we were able to change the shipping locations (business instead of residential) and he finally got it down to $450. Engine was picked up and delivered in 6 days.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back