Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Restoring 1970's California T-bucket with Tube Frame

After a little clean up, we found that the motor had after market, 30 0ver, aluminum pistons. All the cylinders appear to be good.

Well the cylinders are not good. We are boring it out to .040 and buying new pistons. Rod bearings were also shot and we can't figure out how the compression was so good on this motor. It was definately tired. I am going through the valves and doing a valve job. The springs were only good for 65 lbs so new springs too. Basically I am building a complete new motor now but it will be done right. It is no wonder now, why I was having such a tough time tuning this thing but I will be excited to get it all back together.

Went out to the engine builder's today. Here is a picture of the block being set up to go .040 over for the new pistons.
DSC02799.JPG

Here are the new pistons to fill the holes.
DSC02804.JPG

I knew that the heads were not matching numbers but we found that one of the heads was very poorley ported and the other was a stock 883 head. We are now looking for a matching stock 883 or a smoking deal on a set of double humps.
DSC02801.JPG

As I said before, the springs tested at 65 lbs so we are installing new 110 lb Z 28 springs. The old spring is on the left and the Z 28 is on the right.
DSC02803.JPG

Here is a picture of the crank. Note the scoring on the journals. It is going out today to be turned down.

DSC02802.JPG

Heading for California in the morning and will be gone for a week. Motor should be done when I get back and it is going back into the car that weekend. Everyone have a nice week!

Why waste any money at all on the stock heads, buy a new set of aluminum heads ready to go. They will out perform those old double hump, even with all the modification you could make to them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-A...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d08717594

Here is an example of what is out there. I have used these heads with no problem at all. I have also used Whites with no problems.

I am not spending much on those heads and for nostalgia reasons I would prefer the old double humpers. I have looked at going aluminum but I am not really going for high performance but I am going for an old style look that is very dependable. If I can't find an 883 or a set of double hump, then I will go in the direction of aluminum.

Looks like he is using flat top pistons, a 58cc chamber would be too much compression unless he uses a dish piston.

I have a .030-over 350 (355) in my coupe. I used hyper-eutectic flat-top pistons and 76 cc open-chamber heads. It figures out to 9:1 compression so I can run regular gas. It averages about 18.5 mpg on the highway.:cool:

Looks like he is using flat top pistons, a 58cc chamber would be too much compression unless he uses a dish piston.
Yep, I would be looking for 64 cc heads with those pistons. I would prefer to run 90 non ethonal anyway. Just wanting to have a nice little Beach Cruiser cause as you know, I already have some high HP stuff.

I have a .030-over 350 (355) in my coupe. I used hyper-eutectic flat-top pistons and 76 cc open-chamber heads. It figures out to 9:1 compression so I can run regular gas. It averages about 18.5 mpg on the highway.:cool:
I would think that your compression would be lower than that but I believe you. The Guy that is doing the work is really a good builder. He is the same Guy that built my Turbo 408 Windsor.

It could be, depending on deck clearance, head gasket compressed thickness, and actual combustion chamber size. My block was bored and decked before I got it, so I have no idea what the deck clearance is. I used Fel-Pro composite gaskets and I don't know what the compressed thickness is, but I guess they are slightly under .030 inch. Anyway, calculated matematically with 4.030" bore, generous .030" deck clearance, .030 gasket thickness and 76 cc chambers the compression ratio could be as low as 8.36:1. As the deck clearance is lowered and gasket thickness decreases, compression goes up and maxes out at 9.7:1 (not really feasable because that would be 0" deck and 0" gasket thickness). In my case, 9:1 is a "best guess" estimate between 8.36 and 9.7.:confused:

I am still out in Ca but I got a call yesterday from the Ford Speed who is building the motor for the T. The short block is finished and as of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a set of Corvette double hump heads! I will get the number on them after I get home. They needed to be rebuilt so that is underway right now. On the older style T's, I just like to see the chrome headers coming out of a painted set of heads. Doing the Red Eye out of LAX tonight and will get back on the project Thursday!

Fred, looks like you will be able to make the NTBA after all in Carson City next week.;)

The motor isn't finished yet. The block deck height was a little off from side to side. In this picture, you can see on the right front cylinder head surface that even decking it, it didn't clean up all the way.
DSC02809.JPG

The heads are not camel humps but the less desirable 76 cc 1984 Corvette heads. These heads were prone to crack if over heated but this set is in good condition and they are being ported and getting a 3 angle valve job as well.
DSC02808.JPG

It has been a long hot summer here in Florida and I have been traveling a lot. I hope to get back on my project this next week. The new motor is still sitting on the stand in the shop since the end of June. I am planning to put a different Torque Convertor in the car before I put the engine back in. That is the latest news from the Sunshine State.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back