Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ron's '27 modifed build

Youngster

VIP
VIP Member
Yesterday I put up a post on Hotrod46's thread. In it I said, " I don't know how much longer I can read posts like this and not start my '27 build." Mike's answer hit me right between the eyes. He said, " If you get started tomorrow, you'll get through at least one day sooner."

So here we go boys and girls. The build begins today. I have a friends project going in the shop now and another one coming up soon. Even so, I'm planning on getting something done on my T every week. Starting this Sunday, I'll post an up date on my progress. I'll be retiring in July so that will free up the time I need to work on all of these projects. Ah shucks... I didn't think I'd be able to just kick back and read the posts here all day anyway.

For those who haven't heard me talk about the modifed, check out my gallery for "'27 modifed project". That was the mock up of the parts and pieces I've managed to gather so far.

In a nutshell, it's the front half of a '27 touring body on one of my frames from the pdf frame packet I've offered here on the site, (shamless way to get you to look at the "plans"...huh). It will have a basicly stock '56 Ford 292 cu. in. Y-block with 3-2's, mated to a '39 trans with the open drive conversion from a '51 pickup. The rear end is an open drive unit out of a '42 Ford pickup with a '27 T rear spring and cross member. The front suspension consists of a dropped model A axle with '40 Ford spindles and brakes. The steering is a '51 Ford F-1 box mounted in the cowl. Both axles will be controlled by hairpins. Wheels are '33 Ford wires front and rear. That's the parts list as it stands now. Let's see if that's what it is at the other end of the build.

I really hate time frames but I would like to drive it to the show in Albert Lea, Minnesota one year from this coming June. I don't know if it's possible, but I promise, I'll give it one hell of a try.

Ron

Good to hear you're getting back in the saddle. Sounds like a nice project.

Sweet I'll be watching your thread.

Ron

I hope I didn't hit you too hard!:D

I'm glad my little friendly ribbing got you motivated though. It will be interesting to see a car go together from your plans. I'll sure be keeping up with it.:cool:

Mike

Mike

You only left a small mark.... Seriously, I've been resisting the urge to get started until I finished a coupe of small projects. I think I can handle the build and the other stuff at the same time. You aren't the only one to give me a push, there are several others too.

I ordered a gas tank from The Hot Rod Company today. I have two stockers that were supposibly non-leakers. Yeah, right, they must have ment when the tanks were new. Oh well, some you win, some get rained out.

Thanks for the push Mike, Ron

Re: Ron's '27 modified build

Gosh Al...Now look who's blushing!! Thank the city fathers for me, will ya.

Ron

Ok guys, here's the first progress report.

This weeks target was the rear cross member There are two versions. The first is with a Model A xmember. It will soon been sent to our good friend all_world1 in Canada for his T.I thought it would be neat to mock it up so Craig could seewhat it'll look like on his car.

I shortened the xmember 6". The rails taper from 3" down to 2" at the xmember. By now you all know how I like to taper things. It's a small detail but visually, it works. The xmember is knoched so the rail extend all the way through. A pair of gussets are added to the inside corners. The tank is a 10 gal. unit from MAS. To keep the wheelbase Craig wants, there will have to be a pair of risers built. That will work out just fine. I don't like to see the tank mounted on the rails when the frame only has a 6" kick. This way the tank is move more toward the center of the body. Looks a little more complete.

The rear xmember of my '27 modified is very simular to Craigs, with the exception, the xmember itself is a "27. I chose to go with a taller kick 'cause I really like the look of Don's black T. I think that stance will look good on the modified (see my avatar). Because of the shape of my tank, I made the rear rails a little longer. This should put the tank right at the top of the body.

The tail light bracket isn't finished yet. I'll get a license plate bracket and then see if I like the placement. More on this later.

That's it for this week.

Ron

This is going to be cool to watch. I already like where it's headed just from your choice of rearend components. My mental wheels are a spinnin' and you already know where.;):lol:

Fred here's alittle more fuel for the fire. It's the radiator shell for my dirt car. Give you any ideas?

Ron

Youngster said:
Fred here's alittle more fuel for the fire. It's the radiator shell for my dirt car. Give you any ideas?

Ron

:lol:Why yes it does. Is that a speedster body behind it?:eek: Much food for thought!

You holdin' out!?;)

Cool pics Ron, I like where this build is going. Neat grill too. :cool:

Youngster said:
Ok guys, here's the first progress report.

This weeks target was the rear cross member There are two versions. The first is with a Model A xmember. It will soon been sent to our good friend all_world1 in Canada for his T.I thought it would be neat to mock it up so Craig could seewhat it'll look like on his car.

I shortened the xmember 6". The rails taper from 3" down to 2" at the xmember. By now you all know how I like to taper things. It's a small detail but visually, it works. The xmember is knoched so the rail extend all the way through. A pair of gussets are added to the inside corners. The tank is a 10 gal. unit from MAS. To keep the wheelbase Craig wants, there will have to be a pair of risers built. That will work out just fine. I don't like to see the tank mounted on the rails when the frame only has a 6" kick. This way the tank is move more toward the center of the body. Looks a little more complete.
The x-member and tapered rails look great....a work of art Ron. The kick I went with is 7", don't know if car is going to sit too low but if I knock some off the risers to make 6", I could be a little short on the total length of the frame because the front rails have already been cut. Ron, how does 7" sound?

This is built to work with your 7" kick. Your car might be a little lower in back but it will still have a rake to it.

As far as your total length goes, if you used the dimensions in the packet, there is 2" added to the length of the front rails as a fudge factor. After your chassis is up as a roller, you can set your body back just short of the kick. Then set the engine so the distributor is about 1" from the firewall. Next leave about 1" between the water pump and the radiator. This should leave around 2" to the front cross member.

Ron

Yup...I have a '29 roadster pickup body that I made from a tudor cedan. The top corners on the shell are the the rear corners of the 2dr. top. The center top piece was a piece of 18ga. hammered over the end of a 4"x4" piece of wood. The shell started out as a "let's see if I can..." project and has evolved into a '30's dirt racer. LOF

Ron

The metal work looks good.

Sheet metal work is NOT my strong point, but I still want to build my own body one day. I think a simple style like Fred's Speedster is doable for my skill level, though. HMMMMM.......;)

Mike

Ah huh........ got another one here Fred.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back