Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ron's '27 modifed build

Hotrod46 said:
I think a simple style like Fred's Speedster is doable for my skill level, though. HMMMMM.......;)

Mike

Come into the light, brother. There are easy to build bodies, gas saving four cylinders and money saving fun in the light.:welcome:

WOW...and yet another one!!!! I love it!!!!

Ron

Hey, where do I get some info on a speedster ? I am just thinking about looking into it, not really serious, Honest :eek:

Ron, I just can't believe the speed you work at... Do you have all the ideas before you start? I realize you have a vision of what it will look like but getting all the parts to go together is quite amazing.

Mind you I think you mock up photo's look like a finished car to me are you sure you're not just taking it apart and putting it back together again lol.

When you guys are talking about hot rodding 4-bangers, any ol' favorites come to mind? ...or new stuff? This thread is super interesting.

Chev II 153 cu. in. 4 holer. The cool thing with this little sweetheart is that Merc marine used them as inboard power plants. All kinds of neat things can be used from that source including a complete engine with a crossflow head, full centrifical advanced distributor, cool cast aluminum valve cover, side cover, oil pan and an arm to increase the displacement to 181 cu. in.

If that's not enough, you can adapt it to a '39 Ford trans with a Chevy V8 trans adaptor. What more could you ask for?

Ron

Pete...you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I know me...I flip from one project to another without much warning. I now try to have 90% of a project on hand before I start. The mock up was to see if some of the parts would give me the look I want. At that point some of the sub-assemblies were worked on. Now I'm at the point where I can start the build. I'm also working on projects for others so at times the progress will slow down some.

Ron

Youngster said:
Chev II 153 cu. in. 4 holer. The cool thing with this little sweetheart is that Merc marine used them as inboard power plants. All kinds of neat things can be used from that source including a complete engine with a crossflow head, full centrifical advanced distributor, cool cast aluminum valve cover, side cover, oil pan and an arm to increase the displacement to 181 cu. in.

If that's not enough, you can adapt it to a '39 Ford trans with a Chevy V8 trans adaptor. What more could you ask for?

Ron
I recall these existed, although I've never seen one....correct me if I'm wrong, the 153 is the Iron Duke?

Ron, how do you figure out these engine/tranny combos?

Ron, you got a link to that mercruiser 4 cyl? I can't find it on their site.

Here's some pics of a 153 in a hot rod. I'm liking it! Looks like the car may be a '27 Ford.

4banger1.jpg

4banger2.jpg

When you mentioned Mercruiser, it just hit me....I've got the 3.0L (think that's a 181ci) chev motor in my boat. Wonder if the wife would notice if it went "missing"?

tfeverfred said:
Here's some pics of a 153 in a hot rod. I'm liking it! Looks like the car may be a '27 Ford.

Fred, that's a cool looking package...the 153 fits the engine compartment dimensionally well. I think you're on to something here. Thanks for locating a pic.

Todd said:
Don't forget the 2.3 Ford motor.

I've located a dealer here in Houston who has the 2.3 Ford and the 153 Chevy available in long block with a warranty for $1,195. Of course, finding a used one and redoing it yourself would save much coin.

Fred ... The picture of the orange '27 looks like a stocker with the Merc valve and side covers. I can't tell for sure if it has the Merc pan on it too. Here's another plus for some people, any Chevy trans can be adapted to this engine with the use of stock GM parts. That means powerglides, 350 turbos, etc. for those shiftless folks.

If you are a power freak, hook up with the local sprint car boys in your neighborhood. These mighty litte power houses were known as "the little Offenhauser" of the dirt track racers. Ansen made all kinds of performance goodies for them. You can still find some old sprint racers with these parts squirled away in the back of their garages.

Ron

I don't know about the other guys, but I really wish I had your neighbors!:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back