Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Searching for an enclosed trailer

409T

Staff member
The back tires on my T measure 85" from outside to outside. Most enclosed trailers that I have seen only measure 81 - 83" between the fender wells. This means that I would have to buy a trailer long enough for me to drive in, have the front of the back tires touch on the back of the fender wells, and still leave enough room for the back of the body and bed to get in the door. Usually means a 20 footer. Does anyone know of an enclosed trailer that is 16 or so feet long and has 86" or more between the fender wells?

Jeff

Take the driver's side rear tire off and the passenger side front tire off.

Put the driver's side rear tire on the passenger side front and put the passenger side front tire on the driver's side rear.

DING! Issue resolved.

How long of a trailer are you looking for? Mind you I don't have one for sale at the moment. I was just wondering why the back tires have to go between the fender wells? We have a 18' inclosed trailer and my T goes in between the fenders with the front wheels while the rears stay behind the fender wells.

409T said:
The back tires on my T measure 85" from outside to outside. Most enclosed trailers that I have seen only measure 81 - 83" between the fender wells. This means that I would have to buy a trailer long enough for me to drive in, have the front of the back tires touch on the back of the fender wells, and still leave enough room for the back of the body and bed to get in the door. Usually means a 20 footer. Does anyone know of an enclosed trailer that is 16 or so feet long and has 86" or more between the fender wells?

Jeff

I've been researching this very subject. The widest enclosed trailers are 8.5' wide, that's the DOT limit. I tried a 16' but it didn't have a dove tail and required that I raise the tonque or back of my truck in order to clear the oil pan when entering the trailer. Very few trailer manufactures even make a 16'. The only one I found was by Cargo Mate. Most are 18' to 20' which appears to be the standard single car trailer. The other issue you'll run into is the rear ramp opening, it'll only be as wide as the distance between the fenders. You may have to buy two steel wheels with narrow tires to swap with the bigs so you can load it in a trailer. That's what I'm thinking about doing.

RPM said:
How long of a trailer are you looking for? Mind you I don't have one for sale at the moment. I was just wondering why the back tires have to go between the fender wells? We have a 18' inclosed trailer and my T goes in between the fenders with the front wheels while the rears stay behind the fender wells.

I would do the same, but I need 42" from the back of the fender well to the face of the door to do this, and that would be with 0" clearance. So I really would be thinking 44" or more. I have been able to find that kind of clearance in a 20' trailer, it just seems excessive to have 7 feet of air in front of the car, and to be dragging around all that extra trailer. Nevertheless, if I can't find the necessary width between the fender wells, I may have to go that route.

Jeff

GT63 said:
I've been researching this very subject. The widest enclosed trailers are 8.5' wide, that's the DOT limit. I tried a 16' but it didn't have a dove tail and required that I raise the tonque or back of my truck in order to clear the oil pan when entering the trailer. Very few trailer manufactures even make a 16'. The only one I found was by Cargo Mate. Most are 18' to 20' which appears to be the standard single car trailer. The other issue you'll run into is the rear ramp opening, it'll only be as wide as the distance between the fenders. You may have to buy two steel wheels with narrow tires to swap with the bigs so you can load it in a trailer. That's what I'm thinking about doing.

I know that Pace and Haulmark both sell 16' trailers with 90" wide rear door openings, but for me they don't have enough room for the back end of my car when the tires touch the back of the fender well. I solved the oil pan clearance problem by putting spacers between my motor mounts and the pads on the frame.

My cars are all drivers, not trailer queens, but for example if we are going to the Nats in Colorado I don't want to spend 3 days in each direction driving a T-bucket, not to mention needing room to pack an extra pair of socks. If we stay 5 days at the Nats. and used the smaller rear tire alternative, it would mean 10 tire swaps, assuming that we put the car away every night. I guess I'm getting (old) lazy (both).

Jeff

Have you checked with wells cargo you may have to call them and ask a sales person

Why can't you use a enclosed snowmobile trailer they have a flat floor and 4 snowmobiles usually weigh more than your bucket.Tires are underneath. They have alot of anchors in the floor. The only thing would be the ramp which I am sure could be reinforced.

putz said:
Why can't you use a enclosed snowmobile trailer they have a flat floor and 4 snowmobiles usually weigh more than your bucket.Tires are underneath. They have alot of anchors in the floor. The only thing would be the ramp which I am sure could be reinforced.

That would be fine until you had an accident or something, then the insurance company would surely use that against you "Oh thats not a car trailer, we are not paying"......

So if you carry anything but snowmobiles in a snowmobile trailer insurance will not cover it. If you haul a tractor on a car hauler and get in an accident they won't pay either because it isn't a tractor trailer.LOL I would check with the insurance man to make sure.

I think once you convert a trailer to a manure hauler then haul a car on it its still a trailer.Unless the title says manure hauler only.

RPM said:

That's a good point RPM, you don't want the car too far forward. You really don't want more than 500lbs tonque wait. I always load my T so that the engine is just forward of the front trailer axle and the trans is right over the front axle. When I do this my rear tires are behind the inner fender wells of the trailer. I've found this to be the best balance on the trailer.

the problem with snowmobile trailers or one with a flat floor is the height of the floor. The angle of the ramp will be very steep and likely to hit the oil pan or trans pan going into the trailer. If you can rig up a multi-angle ramp that would help. I have seen a multi-angle ramp setup on a converted U-Haul truck.

I've seen a few race cars where the owner built a ramp or bridge over the trailer wheel wells. You would need to make sure they were sturdy as your rear tires would be supported as you hauled the car.

That's the idea Jim, except I will be able to come back down off the ramp on the other side so that the car will ultimately ride on the trailer floor. I just can't make up my mind. I know a 20' trailer will work fine without any modifications, I just will have 6 1/2 feet of air at the front. On the other hand, trying to build ramps and back into a 16' could work out well or be a very costly learning experience. I hate these moments of indecision.

Jeff

I just bought a 20' enclosed just after I got home from the 101 fun run. Going to put in a closet and storage in the nose for suitcases and hanging the wife's stuff up. The hanging things up sold the wife, now I have to do it. I am also going to set up a spot in the nose for the Canopy, chairs, etc. ;)

This may sound stupid BUT why cant you replace or extend the axels add the surface mount fender wells for the duels. Then box the inside where the wheel wells were at. Its okie mentality sorry.

rooster57 said:
This may sound stupid BUT why cant you replace or extend the axels add the surface mount fender wells for the duels. Then box the inside where the wheel wells were at. Its okie mentality sorry.
Good in concept, however illegal. Maximum width for a registered vehicle in most states is 102". Most car haulers are already 102" wide, so extending the axles busts the limit. That said, if you had a trailer where the wheels are not already out to the edges of the fenders, you might be able to pick up a little extra clearance on the inside with your idea. Lot of work, I would think.

My 17 foot trailer was made from a machine tool pallet on cotton trailer axels. It was 94 inches os to os .I pulled it all over this part of the country with no problems.. I would bet a novis would never notice.. I would think a wider trailer would be safer than one with all the weight behind the axel. Besides AceT is the only cop i know that knows how to read a tape measure. HA HA.

I found the answer. A 16' Carson "Racer" has 46" from the inside of the closed ramp door to the bottom back of the fender, and the fenders are curved which allows the tire to roll up on it an inch or so more.

Jeff

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back