Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shall we try something new

Mike, when I referred to relaxing of some of the rules I was referring to things like needing ten posts in order to post pictures. I was not even remotely thinking of a change of subject matter and what is being proposed is not T related in any way. I'm sorry that I did not state that clearly enough.

Jim

Ben, for a moment, it looked like you might hate typing on mobile phones as much as I do. ;)

I would love for this site to remain true to what it was. Note: <--- past tense. But it is morphing into something else, entirely. And that is OK, I know it is just part of the game. Things change, and the most certain path to destruction is trying to remain rooted in shifting sands.

Which is what this thread is all about.

I understand a lot of people are spending time on MyBook and FaceSpace, nearly all forum admins see the same thing. But if FaceSpace is the place to be, then can someone tell me why we are here?

We cannot remain true to what we were, there is just not enough activity to support it. I checked the stats for the last week, and we are averaging 12.285 posts per day. When no one has anything to discuss, the entire concept of a discussion forum goes down the drain.

I fully admit some of this has to do with my personal situation. My health is not good. At my age, most places do not consider me employable. Which leaves me working for chump change. Well, chump change and some pretty decent health insurance, which I sorely need these days. My T-Bucket project has spent the last 28 months, locked up in a 10 X 10 storage unit, because I no longer have a garage. My son and I were talking, a couple days back, and I admitted, being able to drive my own T is something that I've finally had to cross off my bucket list. I don't make enough money to afford it, nor do I have a place to work on it. All of that is my problem, and not yours, but I think you can maybe understand my interest in T-Buckets is definitely on the wane. I don't sit in this chair because I like to wade through code, or because I like dealing with security issues, or because I like telling people how to fix their silly Windows computers. I sit here because I expect my sites to generate enough revenue to carry their own weight, plus put some money in my pocket. Exactly 335 days ago, I put pencil to paper, and this site was paying me 81¢ an hour, for the time I was spending here. The line forms right here - how many of you are ready to trade your time for 81¢ an hour? In May of this year, this site cost me $2.08 an hour, for the time I spent here. Is there anyone here that pays their employers for the privilege of working for them? I didn't think so. But, hey, let's remain true to what this site is, whatever in the world that might be. No matter how much it costs ol' Mike, yeah?

I really do hear what you are saying, but maybe what you think you are saying, and what I think you are saying do not agree.
I'm a member to only a few forums and one in particular had a mass exodus when several folks got their panties in a wad in the "off topic" forum section that was primarily about politics.
Given the present state of the forums, what difference would a mass exodus really mean? Would that mean the forums would no longer be vibrant and active. Wait, it's already too late, that's already happened. What is a mass exodus? 50%? 80%? Heck, let me raise the ante to 100%, let's get out of here and go have a cold beer.
I'm not "threatening" anything, just saying that when other topics are more prominent in this forum, then I probably don't need to spend my time here.
And that is fine by me. Again, if anyone is uncomfortable with this site in any way, please, by all means, log out and go away. I don't require explanations, as it really makes no difference. People are fretting over Screaming Metal. I've no idea where he is, nor do I have any idea of why he is away. But tomorrow, the sun is going to come up in the East, same as it always has. How many old-timers remember Yogi? You short-timers won't remember him, but he was once a moderator, on these forums. One day, he disappeared. All my efforts to contact him went unanswered. I've no clue what his departure was all about. But every day, since that one and this one, the sun has been coming up in the East.

When people are not participating on the forums, and when the forums are costing me money to provide, then I think it is me who doesn't need to spend my time here. And make no mistake about it, I am not threatening anything, either. Merely stating facts.
I like this site being true to what it is.
What is your definition of what this site is? Because I think we have wildly divergent opinions, when it comes to what this site is. What is this site?

I'm issuing a call, for anyone interested in a forum like I mentioned in Post #19. If you think that might be a place you would be interested in, flag me up, here, or in private. With enough interest, I'll make it happen. I'll gamble on the opportunity for making it into something people will enjoy.

I think, you can check figures and tell. That the traffic being down is normal for this time of year, look what you had last year this time. People are outside doing stuff, like cruising in those T buckets. People are not inside on the computers.

Religion and politics for the most part is something that generally leads to an argument. Hey some folk like that, I don't. Now I belong to a lot of gun sites and you hardly ever see anyone get upset or want to argue there. For the most part it is about what they bought and how well it shoots or someone want to know about what to buy. I know for a fact that several on here are into firearms as much as me.

Ron, the numbers show definite drops. We just went under a tornado warning, so I'll put off posting images of the metrics until later. If we don't blow away, that is. :laugh:

I neglected to mention, our overall traffic figures are on a positive incline. Everything else is headed south.

Mike, you really struck a nerve when saying that there is a possibility that you will cross your T bucket off your bucket list. As I have said, the lack of a stable, always-there place to work on your T is really important. That requires a safe, lockable garage, which are increasingly harder to find (more than preferably with electricity).
As for employment, in this youth obsessed culture, try being a 66 year old masseur with 25 years experience. A excellent masseur, who, when applying for a job in a spa (part time) has been passed over for blonde haired, blue eyed vixens fresh out of massage school. Nice Ta- Tas will always win out over proven experience.
But we both have to keep on, keeping on. One foot in front of the other.
As a side note, Ron, how much do you estimate it would it cost to replicate a rolling chassis exactly like Jim's black beauty? No engine, no trans, no body, just a rolling chassis.

John

Photos of Jim's chassis is what gave me the bug, and started me on my build.

Mike,

Thought I'd best post while I had a minute. I haven't been active much for a while. I am working out of state and loaded to my eyeballs in work . Seldom get to bed before 2:00 AM and get up at 6:30 Am. VA is beating on me about hours and quality of life. Now that's a oxymoron for sure. Looks like this job will run out by Sept. so I'm faced with finding work else where as Arkansas just won't cut it right now. Now about the forum proposal. I personally would like to see it stay an all T- Bucket site. That being said I do understand the problem of participation and I have no idea how to change that. This the only forum I actually post on. I really would have no problem having a side room that allowed things like guns, race cars, aviation and other things of power. Most hot rodders do tend to like those types of subjects so why not. As to politics and religion..Well I see enough on what little internet time I'm online. I don't get involved with those types of issues just because I'll never change anyone's mind nor will they change mine. That being said, if you chose to open that door I won't leave the building. I know how to just ignore or not read post and would do so with no hard feelings towards anybody. If you think this is a good idea then so be it. I have stated here several times in the past, This is your house and your rules. Thanks for having me!

George

This is as simple & straightforward as I can put it ; If you are indeed operating this forum [or any other entity] as a for profit business , & you're not making a profit , then there's NO reason to continue said venture..... [it ain't that hard a concept]
dave

I think it would be a good idea for folks to go have their own little area to run to when the Politics or whatever flare up, will keep things on a even kilter....

Mike, you really struck a nerve when saying that there is a possibility that you will cross your T bucket off your bucket list. As I have said, the lack of a stable, always-there place to work on your T is really important. That requires a safe, lockable garage, which are increasingly harder to find (more than preferably with electricity).
As for employment, in this youth obsessed culture, try being a 66 year old masseur with 25 years experience. A excellent masseur, who, when applying for a job in a spa (part time) has been passed over for blonde haired, blue eyed vixens fresh out of massage school. Nice Ta- Tas will always win out over proven experience.
But we both have to keep on, keeping on. One foot in front of the other.
As a side note, Ron, how much do you estimate it would it cost to replicate a rolling chassis exactly like Jim's black beauty? No engine, no trans, no body, just a rolling chassis.

John
yea...can't have a TBucket Site Fella not having a TBucket....think we might have to do something about that....

When I am on here it's like being with a group of friends and the discussion gets a little off track sometimes. I think the problem is many of us has finished or nearly so our cars and we just chat. At my age most of my longtime friends are gone to their reward and this is a friendly place to be. So I won't ramble on because I don't have an answer to the stated problem.

I am still considering this, as well as the best way to go about doing it. I think it will have to be done privately, so the people who mortified by the possible discussion topics can simply not see any of it. It increases the difficulty on this end, so I am trying to come up with something as painless as possible. Stay tuned.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back