Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Shanks Bucket Build

Progress is a good thing ....... comment ?? IF you're going to channel the body , w/ the engine set that high , you're going to give up alot of floor space....
dave

ackermandiag_zpsr2xe8bxk.jpg

I understand what ackerman is and how it works. I dont see the importance of it on such a light car, so the tires might scrub a bit during tight turns. I know its debated all the time with these cars, and yet a vast majority of the Buckets still run this set up.

Google ackerman angle ... far easier than me trying to explain... don't forget your frt. rim size when making changes ..
dave

I understand what ackerman is and how it works. I dont see the importance of it on such a light car, so the tires might scrub a bit during tight turns. I know its debated all the time with these cars, and yet a vast majority of the Buckets still run this set up.
Well , at this point you can design/build a car w/proper steering geometry ,that will handle well & not put you or others in a compromising position or .......???
dave

I worked very hard to get my Ackerman correct and it payed of well. Please put the tie rod BEHIND; It should not be your front bumper.

I worked very hard to get my Ackerman correct and it payed of well. Please put the tie rod BEHIND; It should not be your front bumper.

It can be in front of the axle if you make new steering arms. As for it being used as a bumper, if that is as poorly as one drives and can not see a few inches in front if an open wheeled vehicle then it's time to turn in their drivers license. IMHO

Here is a picture of the new steering arms to regain correct Ackerman.

Jim

I made the changes this morning, just gotta weld em up. And yes I will bevel the edges to weld, TIG welded in fact

steering6.jpg

Unless you center punch something at slow speed, such as a post or fireplug, the front tires would hit first just like a bumper. At high speed, what would it matter? I suppose a dog, or any other animal could cause a problem.
Lee

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back