Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

sitting low

...and he (speaking in third person) doesn't care for pretentiousness.

My name is Todd, hence the nickname "T-Odd" I've has since I was a child. My first name is Glenn and my last is Mullins. Second son of THE Moon Mullins.

Age? 41. I'm 200 pounds, six feet tall, blahblahblah. I can provide pictures if you need to see my face for whatever reason. Not sure exactly why you need to know so much about some guy that's been posting here (and other T Bucket sites for a very long time, if you need dates and site referrals I suppose I can provide them).

You requested a list of my qualifications for some specific reason, so here ya go.

My qualifications include (but do not exclude any others) three college degrees: 1) Architectural Engineering, 2) Civil Engineering, and I also hold a Master's in Religion (but that really doesn't have a lot to do with building cars I suppose).

I have been racing cars and motorcycles since I was a child. Spent seat time in Outlaw go-carts, Sprint cars, SCCA Formula Vee, and a lot of street racing when I was a teenager, but I really never really got into drag racing for some reason. Got my first motorcycle for my fifth birthday, so that's over 35 years experience on two wheeled motorized vehicles. I've got a lot of seat time in SMVs also, in fact one of my favorite things is driving the 4wd John Deere and the old Ford 9n tractors.

My father was where I inherited all of my hot rod blood. About the time he finished the Ford powered Sprint car, I might have been about 6 or 7, I was spending a little time hanging out in the garage watching him build frames, working on engines, painting cars and doing body work at the body shop, etc. Every time I smell Bondo, it takes me back in time to my childhood.

Started reading his old Hot Rod mags, beating on panels, building a dozen Volkswagens, working on friend's cars, playing with Ford Broncos, a Dodge Dart, a Chevy Monte Carlo, etc. I don't discriminate, if it has an engine and I can find a way to make it go faster and still be reasonably safe, I'll give it a try.

None of this has anything to do with COMMON SENSE.

Common sense says that if I take MY car (as it exists right now) and lower it a few inches, I'll have clearance issues with my oil pan. If you take a look at how the engine is mounted and imagine simply lowering the main rails, but leave the engine at the same height, you shouldn't have any clearance issues. IF the engine is mounted with proper clearance, the transmission will take up a little more of that valuable floor space and leg room in these tiny little cars.

My suggestion was a simple one, plan it wisely and you'll be fine.

NOW, get ready for a LOT of photos to reiterate the point I was making (in my message to mike r when he posted the message "I love the look of hot rods sitting on the ground, but never seen a T this low. Any help would be greatly appreciated")

Now if you don't mind, SIR, I'd like to get back to talking to mike r.

We'll start with pics of John's car (a.k.a. Stitch)

5006729543_13c0d360aa_z.jpg

5006729363_49a672de76_z.jpg

5006729255_12bcf5a7e5_z.jpg

5007340200_17b354d7c9_z.jpg

5007340084_afa0e53687_z.jpg

Twenty inch kick in the rear, high arch spring and coilovers in the rear. Straight axle from a Sprint car, frame rails are low, body is channeled over the rails and the engine is mounted so that there is good clearance for the oil pan. Somewhere I have some pics of the interior but they elude me at this hour.

Now let's take a gander at Don's stunning little hotrod. VERY well planned out, it's low and it's a driver.

5007339950_ab7c85baed_z.jpg

5007339858_2d6bd3c6fe_z.jpg

5006728673_92864fde8c_z.jpg

Notice how the engine is mounted with the bottom of the oil pan at the same level as the bottom of the frame rails. Car sits really low, no scrub line issues - just amazing work.

Here's another one of my favorites. Ex Junk's super clean bucket. It's low, but it was very well planned and executed perfectly.

5007339790_2e1ea4085f_z.jpg

Here's a pic of me with my father, notice his legs are longer, he's about seven inches taller than me. Look at where the distributor is located in relation to the top edge of the firewall as compared to a lowered bucket. If I dropped the bucket, that tranny would take up some room I desperately need.

5006728521_d744269f6c_z.jpg

Next we'll look at Rolla's bucket, a bit of an illusion, it appears to be a little lower but still maintains adequate clearance and somehow has floor space and leg room. His engine isn't mounted as high as the previous examples. Still has clearance, but I'd go slow over speed bumps and in-and-out of driveways just to be sure. His bucket is also lengthened and widened and I can tell you first hand that it drives like a DREAM.

5007339058_aec2031d7e_z.jpg

5007339356_7db7aca218_z.jpg

5007338652_fb8212a040_z.jpg

Next up, John aka Short-T's stretch.

5006725325_c1781d8bbd_z.jpg

5006727337_21cd9fed69_z.jpg

Well planned even though it isn't as finished as the others, it drives like a CADILLAC.

I think this next one is just amazing. Never caught the driver to talk to then about the car, but I've photographed it many many times.

5006725721_9c36d1a425_z.jpg

5007337410_3df4769295_z.jpg

5006726741_657d780753_z.jpg

Here's one profile shot of Kletus and Ralph's clean little dirt-T.

5006726969_2098334c88_z.jpg

Can't really tell from this pic, but the car sits low and he sits way down in it, kinda like you're in a go cart.

Last set of pics I SWEAR!

This one belongs to my friend Johnny. Took forever to get the frame mocked up how he wanted the car to sit. Used sheet in a metal brake to make C Channel, tack welded until it looked RIGHT with the body mounted at ride height. Frame was made to the dimensions of the mock up frame and THEN the engine was mounted and he discovered he had no place to put the accelerator. I tried to tell him when he was mocking it up, but he wanted the car to look a certain way.

He accomplished the LOOK he wanted but sacrificed the ability to actually drive the car. It's a shame. It's a very nice car that could have been a driver with a little better planning and a tad bit of wiggle room on the ride height.

THIS is the exact reason I responded to mike r. Planning. As long as you plan accordingly, you can accomplish a really low looking hotrod that is actually drivable.

Didn't know I was going to have to post a resume in order to respond to a post on the internet.

5007335118_a0a8e1f42d_z.jpg

5006724719_c9e7648a74_z.jpg

5007335268_a517780f9f_z.jpg

5006725029_677b7be7b2_z.jpg

Now let's take a gander at Don's stunning little hotrod. VERY well planned out, it's low and it's a driver.

5007339950_ab7c85baed_z.jpg

5007339858_2d6bd3c6fe_z.jpg

5006728673_92864fde8c_z.jpg

Notice how the engine is mounted with the bottom of the oil pan at the same level as the bottom of the frame rails. Car sits really low, no scrub line issues - just amazing work.

Here's another one of my favorites. Ex Junk's super clean bucket. It's low, but it was very well planned and executed perfectly.

5007339790_2e1ea4085f_z.jpg

Here's a pic of me with my father, notice his legs are longer, he's about seven inches taller than me. Look at where the distributor is located in relation to the top edge of the firewall as compared to a lowered bucket. If I dropped the bucket, that tranny would take up some room I desperately need.

5006728521_d744269f6c_z.jpg

If you have seen Speedway's newest T package , it looks REAL close to Don's car. As I said in another post, I feel the real limiting factor is the auto trans flywheel or flywheel cover. not the oil pan. Jim's car, it goes without saying, is superb.

John

P.S. Like Don's protective seat cover @ the beach. Cant let harmful U.V. rays mar the upholstery.

T -Odd --- I ALSO AM A GRAD --- ARCHITECTURE-- AND -- ENGINEERING !? ----- so what! ---- SHOW -- ME -- WHAT -- CARS --YOU???-- HAVE -- possess ---[ OR BUILT!? ] SON. Bob Nunes

T -Odd --- I ALSO AM A GRAD --- ARCHITECTURE-- AND -- ENGINEERING !? ----- so what! ---- SHOW -- ME -- WHAT -- CARS --YOU???-- HAVE -- possess ---[ OR BUILT!? ] SON. Bob Nunes

Bob, seeing T's that are lowered is what this thread is supposed to be. T-odd is following the intent of that by showing the pics. Can we please keep this thread on track?

Hey whatsup guys, I was cruising through streetrodderweb.com and found this t bucket built by Joe Leone. Very nice T he has, but I actually had a question for you guys about his T. How did he get the frame to sit so low? I know about z bar'd frames and the kickups, also notching the frames for the rear end, but in the pictures I cant see how he got it to sit so low. I know also channeling the body will sit lower, but my concern is in how getting the frame to sit low. Why I ask is I want to get my build back started and possibly go this route, I love the look of hot rods sitting on the ground, but never seen a T this low. Any help would be greatly appreciated, here is the link to this guys feature from the site. http://www.streetrod...cket/index.html

Thanks in advance guys

VegasBruce, Thanks Mod, if this personal attack keeps up there will be one less around here. Not sure what I ever did to this (hmmm can't seem to use the term gentleman right now) person to have him so interested in me... I guess this place has turned into a "Intro Police" HAMB-ish group since I was here last week... people demanding pictures of every vehicle I've ever built because I respond to a post. Insipid and trite PERIOD.

What I find particularly interesting is the fact that in his (GASP!) 27 posts here, I see NOTHING to illustrate HIS qualifications to need to determine mine. Goose / Gander, Pot / Kettle.

Really quickly I'd request an IGNORE feature be added since it appears this person wants to play games with me in particular and my time is a tad bit valuable and I'll stick to the old adage that arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded. I could simply say "EABOD" and be done with it, but I am under the impression you don't want or need a match of wits on your boards. This is completely understandable. Never cared much for pissing contests, but I am fully prepared and have quite an arsenal at my disposal should the need arise. It was required that I learn to defend myself at a very early age; starting college at the age of twelve does that to a child. More than three quarters of my life I've battle with In the event you cannot remind the members (or in this case, a specific member) of this board how they should conduct themselves, I can and will remove myself with no problem. Shame really, there are quite a few guys here that I really like. Only one that I don't I suppose.

Now, back to the thread subject. I do believe that in the collection of photos I have displayed a very good explanation of exactly what I was suggesting to the thread initiator.

mike r previously stated that he doesn't like Z'd frames (and I have a similar opinion) so the cars I posted are what I'd imagine he could use to get a fairly good idea of how it is possible to have a low and drivable hotrod. Looks good and functions well can be attained.

Now I'd ask that one of my many friends here notify me by email when this issue has been resolved. I'll be elsewhere on the internet, talking to individuals that KNOW how to conduct themselves appropriately.

OK, time to go over some ground rules here.

Bob, elitism is not going to last around here. We're the fellows that think every T is unique, just because they reflect the owner's individual tastes and desires in a finished car. I don't mind people discussing positives an negatives here, but don't throw down challenges like you have. Todd has posted pictures of his car, not only in this thread, but in many others as well, so open thine eyes and see.

The Caps Lock key? Press it once, because posting in all caps is poor Netiquette. People get the impression you're shouting. Between the Caps Lock key and the deprecating comments you've made to Todd, there are 8-10 other members that are howling about your behavior.

Your attitude? Check it at the door, before you log in. This site has grown like it has because people find it a friendly place to visit with like-minded people. Yes, we've had a small handful of knuckleheads try to show their arses, but if you ask around, you'll quickly learn they didn't last very long. I try not to throw my weight around and I ask my moderators to do the same. But if you ask Bruce, he'll tell you I asked him to walk softly and carry a very big stick he's not afraid to swing. And that is all I asked of him. When I have one forum member creating ill will on my forums, I've no problem cutting that one member loose. I don't like having to do it, but as I said, if you check around you'll find I will not hesitate to do it when it becomes necessary. So, ask yourself this - do you really want to make it necessary?

From the forum rules -

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. It is not the intention of the T-Bucket Forum Administrator to limit free speech, however discussions between forum members will be conducted in a civil and friendly spirit. "Flaming" or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or ban.

Bob, this is strike two. One more complaint about you taking a tone toward others and you're out of here.

Todd, I'm sorry you were put in this position. Just another day on the InterWebz. But there is no need to make threats about leaving, either. I sure wouldn't like to see you decide to leave, but if you make that decision, just do it. No drama required, OK? If this rammy continues (and know there are several people in touch with me about it already), drop me a PM and I'll end it. If I can beat Bruce to it, that is. One bad apple isn't going to spoil the entire basket. And you're always welcome to post as many photos as you like, because your camera doesn't miss much.

Bruce, I assume you're reading this. If the contention continues and I'm not around, give that ban stick a swing. I trust your judgment.

OK, assuming everyone can agree to disagree, let's get back to the discussion at hand.

T-odd! Please don't leave here too! I miss your "pic of the day" on that other site! I always find your posts informative so don't let a "CalClod" chase you away. Remember....somebody else built HIS claim to fame.

VegasBruce, Thanks Mod, if this personal attack keeps up there will be one less around here. Not sure what I ever did to this (hmmm can't seem to use the term gentleman right now) person to have him so interested in me... I guess this place has turned into a "Intro Police" HAMB-ish group since I was here last week... people demanding pictures of every vehicle I've ever built because I respond to a post. Insipid and trite PERIOD.

What I find particularly interesting is the fact that in his (GASP!) 27 posts here, I see NOTHING to illustrate HIS qualifications to need to determine mine. Goose / Gander, Pot / Kettle.

Really quickly I'd request an IGNORE feature be added since it appears this person wants to play games with me in particular and my time is a tad bit valuable and I'll stick to the old adage that arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded. I could simply say "EABOD" and be done with it, but I am under the impression you don't want or need a match of wits on your boards. This is completely understandable. Never cared much for pissing contests, but I am fully prepared and have quite an arsenal at my disposal should the need arise. It was required that I learn to defend myself at a very early age; starting college at the age of twelve does that to a child. More than three quarters of my life I've battle with In the event you cannot remind the members (or in this case, a specific member) of this board how they should conduct themselves, I can and will remove myself with no problem. Shame really, there are quite a few guys here that I really like. Only one that I don't I suppose.

Now, back to the thread subject. I do believe that in the collection of photos I have displayed a very good explanation of exactly what I was suggesting to the thread initiator.

mike r previously stated that he doesn't like Z'd frames (and I have a similar opinion) so the cars I posted are what I'd imagine he could use to get a fairly good idea of how it is possible to have a low and drivable hotrod. Looks good and functions well can be attained.

Now I'd ask that one of my many friends here notify me by email when this issue has been resolved. I'll be elsewhere on the internet, talking to individuals that KNOW how to conduct themselves appropriately.

there are people who we want and need here and you re one of them.
I have noticed that certain people have a very negative and aggressive manner, possibly due to the fact that they did not build the car they have. Stay with us we have come to love you.
To go somewhere else means the other person has won. Won what I dont know... but they seem to think of it as a victory.
JUST stay with us dude.
We all see things that may not be that good and, Hey, we pass out our opinions. We dont enter in to a tirade, we dont pull that person down, we just try to help with good honest opinions.
I have learned a lot and am grateful for it.
Gerry
Gerry

Mike (admin) I apologize for it sounding like I was threatening to leave, it was my intention to simply state that I don't want to feel like I'm unwelcome, so I'll spend some time elsewhere until the smoke clears. I'm not the type of guy that thinks I'm so important that some childish "I'm taking my ball and going home" type of drama is appropriate anywhere.

Most everyone that has ever met me face to face knows that I'm rather laid back and fun-loving, and would rather smile and laugh than anything else in the world. Confrontation? Meh, it's become rather boring actually. It no longer entertains me as it did in my youth. As I previously stated, my time is a little more valuable to me.

I do think you handled the situation in as professional a manner as needed for this instance, and hope that in the unfortunate event that I (or anyone else for that matter) step out of line that I can be the recipient of such a well-worded notification (or rather reminder) of the rules.

(deep breath)

NOW, can we please get back to talking about how cool a low bucket looks and how to make it SAFE to drive on the street?

O.P. (mike r) deserves to have appropriate responses in his thread.

I'll start digging up more pics to illustrate well-thought-out hot rods that just happen to be lower than you average bucket.

Here's a pic of Don's interior that I couldn't find earlier.

Shows how much interior room has been claimed by the transmission.

2018306103_4b09e4a64b_z.jpg

I'm still digging for photos.

2019103528_b865263b21_z.jpg

Just fantastic. I even love the colors he chose.

The copper color reminds me of my old '76 Bronco, I think it was called Hot Ginger Metalflake or something like that.

Thanks Todd, for all your informative posts. You are one of the real good guys and your spirit is to be envied. Don't ever change!

Jim

Now, back to the thread subject. I do believe that in the collection of photos I have displayed a very good explanation of exactly what I was suggesting to the thread initiator

Well that little purple baby is as good as it gets for me

Gerry

Sure are some nice looking Ts there. Don's always looks good and I've got some more "must see"s now. Thanks for posting the pictures.
I hope to make mine look low but with our roads it's not reasonable to be too low if I want to drive it.
I have a bad back so comfort for my back is going to be the big challenge.
So there is my question.. how much comfort is sacrificed on these super low rides with little suspension travel? Or is it just me with my body getting older? :(
I guess if I could drive one on nice streets it would be different.

Joe

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back