Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Some brief changes

Wow I just read this and I am shocked but not surprised. Mike you have to do what you have to do and I don't blame you one bit. If I had to pay every month to host a site I can tell you I wouldn't have lasted as long as you did.

Good luck and take car.

Jason

Wow I just read this and I am shocked but not surprised. Mike you have to do what you have to do and I don't blame you one bit. If I had to pay every month to host a site I can tell you I wouldn't have lasted as long as you did.

Good luck and take car.

Jason

Never used this in my life before

BUMP

Please read this thread
Gerry

Sorry to see this forum close. I certainly have enjoyed it and hopefully learned a few things.

Good luck and take car.

Jason

Tried to find you on face book with that address, this is what I found..

The page you requested was not found. www.facebook.com/fordsbyjay

Whatever you decide for sure, I would hope to see you get most of your money back, I know you will never see anything, to speak of, for your time/labor that you have put in. Good Luck with your ongoing projects. You are a fair Man. Was good meeting you... Thanks

Tell you guys what... If you would send me a quick email from your email address, I'll collect them all into a list so that when we decide what to do, we can notify you. My email address is:

corley (at) corleyw.com

I've been looking into what it would take to start up another similar forum, and I think that I could set something basic up for very little cost, and with no pesky ads. If there is enough interest, which I'll judge by your emails to me, then I'll proceed with it. Suggestions are also welcomed. Of course we will never be able to duplicate everything that Mike has provided, nor provide the outstanding service he has given, but I feel we could carry on this way with our own site better than fracturing the group to many other sites.

I've reviewed a bunch of possible places to go, and none of them really seem to have the same content nor drive that the members here have, so they all leave me wanting more. I'll leave it up to you guys if you'd like me to set it up or if someone else has a better plan, then I'll be happy to go along with that. If we decide to set up a new site, it will take about a week or so to get the basic functions up and rolling. I'd need some help from a couple moderators so I would not have to make it a full time job.

Send me you email address and your ideas for a new site, or an indication that you don't want it. In any case, I'll forward any site information that I receive, and keep you abreast of any new site developments that I'm aware of.

Thanks in advance,
Corley

"Brief changes"??? Sounds mighty long-term to me.
While I'm sad to see this site go, I do understand.
I only gave a measly little bit of money and still have "donator" status. Not fair really. I don't deserve it compared to the others who gave and gave.
Then again, this is the ONLY site I've ever paid anything to. Sponsors, ads and discounts seem to be the way to go for most.

Except for a few PITAs (pains in the "ankle" or higher) this has been a great site for respect and sharing.
As of late though, we've seen a few people who think they know more than they do and spend time here just mouthing off. Darn shame. Years of experience doesn't guarantee wisdom.
That drama makes me sit quietly in the background.

The great thing is that most of you guys are top-drawer, A-number-1 folks who I have enjoyed reading about. To you and Mike I say, "many thanks!"
Sorry I wasn't able to add much to your world but rest assured that you have shared much and it is appreciated.
Actually I gained a lot from the PITAs too... a greater appreciation for people who AREN'T pains in the "ankle", or higher!

Thanks to the info some of you have shared...
I've gathered up (and had identified) enough parts to build a 27-ish steel bucket.
Built my frame (thanks for the plans, Youngster!).
Got the right disc brakes on the A front axle.
Mocked up the beast. I sat in it but didn't go Vroom Vroom.
Now it's apart to be "final" built (as if "final" really happens).

Anyway.. best of luck Mike and folks.
Thanks for the ride.
If you guys ever get to my part of Nova Scotia... look me up. Except for those few PITAs. You ain't welcome.

Joe

I spent a couple hours on the telephone this morning, with a good friend who is also a good friend of the forum.

We kicked and hashed a lot of ideas around while we were on the phone. One was increasing the rates for sponsor's ads. Another was to send out a monthly reminder about the site donations. I have to say I'm not too interested in adopting either method. Site traffic has been growing by leaps and bounds and the possibility of increasing ad rates for 2012 were a possibility. But I'm not going to pester anyone with reminders that YOUR donations are what keep YOUR forums alive and kicking. Heck, we're all supposed to be adults and if you can't see the donations progress indicator is running short of quota for a month, you likely won't be able to understand an e-mail reminder. If you can see the progress indicator being short of quota and can't find your way to kick in a couple of bucks, that just tells me the forums really aren't that big a deal for you anyway.

Bottom line - I don't want to close up shop. But I'm not sticking any more money into the site. If all of YOU want to see the place stick around, then I'm willing to hear what YOU have to offer as a solution.

What I'm going to say is probably going to upset a few people, but you can relax in the knowledge that you won't be nearly as upset as I already am.

We've got about 120-125 active members. Members that log in every couple days or so. Yet we've an core of about 20 donating members, who make regular, monthly donations. I'm certainly not going to fault anyone who is in dire financial straits. Times are tough and I'll be the first one to admit it. But if you cannot afford to spend as little as $4.00 a month to help support YOUR forum, then you damn sure cannot afford to build a T-Bucket. YOU have a member here on YOUR site who makes anonymous donations. Hardly a month goes by that he's not kicking in as much as $50. This member sent me an apology, today. It turns out he's looking at the very real possibility of losing his job, which is scary stuff. Yet he apologized for not having been able to donate to YOUR forums these last 4-5 weeks. I don't know about the rest of you, but it really ruffles my feathers, that a fellow in fear of losing his job feels like he owes me an apology. To that gentleman, I say no apology is necessary and I certainly hope you manage to keep your job.

If you simply do not have the extra cash to make a donation, I feel your pain. I've been there and I spend a bit of time on my knees each day, thank the Lord for allowing me to earn what I do. But if you can afford Starbucks every day and McDonald's a couple times a week, then don't poor-mouth me, OK?

My donation to this site is my time. I might have a week where 15 hours is plenty to take care of things. The next week might be Microsoft Hell Week, which requires 80-100 hours. Minimum wage in this country is $7.25/hour. If we get lucky and have an easy month, that's something around $108/week. I'm not asking anyone to give a damn dime, but if the majority of you reading this can't see your way clear to donating as little as a buck a week, I really need to re-examine what the Hell it is I'm doing around here.

I'm not looking to get rich off the site. If I were, I never would have bothered opening the site up in the first place. But you tell me - how many hours are you willing to spend fielding questions about how forum features work, fielding questions about why passwords don't work, fielding questions about why people cannot register with Hotmail and Yahoo e-mail accounts (read the fargin', bloody bold print on the first registration page, for Pete's sake!!), keeping an eye on posers who have nothing better to do than piss in your cereal bowl and making sure the forum software and server are working at 100%?

I have a wonderful job. I earn enough that I only have to work 12-15 hours a week to be comfortable. What am I supposed to do, work a few extra hours a week, so everyone will have a T-Bucket forum to visit? Ain't gonna happen, muchachos.

As Corley pointed out earlier, they're going to be selling overcoats in Hell before I beg anyone for a dime to keep this place alive. I like the site and I enjoy nearly all of the members. But liking the place and needing the place are two, completely different things.

I get a server bill e-mailed to me, between 1:00 and 1:05 AM, the first of every month. I require the monthly quota of $270 to be sitting in my PayPal account at approximately 5:00 AM, the first of every month, so I can cover the expenses. Not $205. Not $250. $270. You tell me how you're going to make that happen and we'll get on with business as usual. Leave me sitting and wondering if we're going to be able to cover the server bill each month (which we fell short of doing in February, March and April) and the site is as good as gone.

And I'm not just addressing the members who already have that Donator badge under their username.

I'm all ears.

Here is what RPM is willing to do! Put the donation box back up. From now until Mid Night on May 8th. I'll match up to $300 what is in the donation box.

I challenge the other 3 sponsors to do the same. You guys send them some emails and tell those vendors we don't want to loose this site.

Mike,
I would like to suggest that you give up the donations an make it a pay to be here site. A Starbucks or a trip to McDonalds shouldn't be missed by very many people. At 4-5 dollars a month everything would be covered except your efforts. In fact even if the active users dropped in half the $270 would pretty much be covered. I'm certain that you have the means to set up a 30 day limited access and then 4-5 dollars a month to stay. Besides people like Bob aren't going to pay to pester you. JMO.......ruggs

Here is what RPM is willing to do! Put the donation box back up. From now until Mid Night on May 8th. I'll match up to $300 what is in the donation box.

I challenge the other 3 sponsors to do the same. You guys send them some emails and tell those vendors we don't want to loose this site.

That shows you to be a REALLY big man, Ron, and I don't mean just in size.

Jim

Ron's generous offer could generate a year or so of life to the site......ruggs
well, not a year but, more time

Add me to the gang that is not surprised to hear this news. It seems like I've not been surprised much, more commonly it's disappointment as is the case here.

I've never been much of a joiner. This group has kept my interest for well over a year which might be some kind of a record. I like this site as the good people who make it worthwhile - none the least of whom is Mike for giving us this opportunity.

With discussion taking place, I trust there is an equitible solution to keep the forum alive and to relieve Mike of any financial burden.

In a recent exchange on another thread, I was planning to point out one of the other differences between my position and that person's position was to invite him to step up to the plate and change his status from member to donator like my status. While it wasn't much, I'm proud to have had contributed. Suggesting someone step up and donate has a tendency to disappear* the slackers.

Should the forum survive, I might be inclined to remind some that they are like illegals, taking from the system but not giving back.

* "Disappear" as in disappear da eleephont was the term used by Siegfried and Roy in their Vegas act which we had the great pleasure of seeing.

I have to admit I fell lax at donating thinking keeping every dime saved up to get a new part here and their wouldn't matter much if I didn't contribute but apparently I couldn't have been more wrong.
This sight has been very helpful and the way it ticks along on my end is just out standing . Thanks to Mikes time that we don't see. I hope something will happen and the donation page will open before the forum shuts down
I have no ill feelings against Mike and if it has to go it has to go at least I was part of a great group of individuals and individuals called TBUCKTEERS !!!!

I have only been a member for a short time, but I have gained a wealth of information. Yes open the donation box back up. I will be glad to help keep this site open and I would encourage all others to do the same. Together we can keep this site going and healthy with just a small contribution from each of us.

Never used this in my life before

BUMP

Please read this thread
Gerry

Sorry Gerry but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Tried to find you on face book with that address, this is what I found..

The page you requested was not found. www.facebook.com/fordsbyjay

That was a major boner on my part Ted. I changed the name of my account recently and posted the incorrect address. I corrected the original thread but it is http://www.facebook.com/crazyjaysspeedshop

Just curious Mike but does it cost more to always be state of the art? I am not knocking you but you are always messing with the lastest this and that and I sometimes wonder if a lot of these problems are self induced. The other forums I belong to are the exact same as they were a couple years ago, they don't ever change things and people hardly ever have problems logging in etc. I have built several new computers with the latest hardware and know from experience how using all the latest gadgets create a lot of work to get the bugs worked out and was wondering if it is the same with websites. Some times old and reliable is a lot less stressful.

I have seen
BUMP
used on other forums to make sure a subject stays at the top of the list.
As the title of this thread did not really describe what was about to happen it was my feeble attempt to make sure everyone seen and read it.

Gerry

Guys, something like this would allow a 30 day cushion. It would get the expenses covered for June and leave enough to also cover July. If people will continue to donate in June, that would have August covered at the first of July. And, if for some reason we get to a month where donations fall short, we would still have 30 days to make up the shortfall.

This could be the answer to our problem.

Ron, you'll recall I posted last evening about having been on the phone with a friend of the forum for a couple of hours. I mentioned to him that if a solution could be found, I was pretty certain you would be right in the thick of it. :nod:

Just curious Mike but does it cost more to always be state of the art? I am not knocking you but you are always messing with the lastest this and that and I sometimes wonder if a lot of these problems are self induced.
That's a great question and the answer to it is, no.

When I'm adding the latest software, it is because my licenses allow me to download the latest. The software licenses (which are renewed every 6 months) allow me to use the software on this site, give me download access to software upgrades for the period and also give me software tech support for the period. Since my license renewal fees were paid, when the Beta version of the Gallery software was made available for download, I had access to that download.

When we were experiencing the worst of the log-in issues, no part of the software on this site had been changed. I had performed a Gallery upgrade 7 or 8 days prior to the problem arising, but that was it. Nothing else had been changed. That was why it was so baffling a problem. Had I upgraded a script just prior to the problem occurring, it would have been a very simple matter to just shut the site down and restore the back-up, removing the upgrade and returning everything to its prior state. Since I had made no changes, I was assured the problems were client-side, from the onset.

In addition, I run several test forums on a separate hosting account, so all script upgrades can be tested, prior to launching them into a live environment. The world isn't perfect and problems do jump in from seemingly nowhere, but any upgrades you are seeing in this live, production environment have already been installed and tested in a test environment. I do everything I can to be sure the two servers are as close as humanly possible. The test account might end up being one or two point versions behind in PHP or MySQL, but everything else is identical, from the operating system to the control panel. You would be amazed to see how many times I've crashed those test forums. :blush: But better to test something there and stick a fork in a test site, than to do it here.

OK, let's give it a go. I'm going to light the donations module back up and let's see what happens. If you simply cannot afford to make a donation, then you simply cannot afford it. Nobody's going to lock you out, as a result. If you're not familiar with the way the module works, you will see it in the right-hand column on the home page of the forums. There is a progress graph to indicate where we are, with respect to the required quota each month. There is also a link that will allow you to make a donation, right there in that module. There is also a Donations link in the NavBar, at the top of every page on the site.

The donations are made through PayPal. If you have a PayPal account, you can donate from that account. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can make a donation with a debit or credit card. I've been with PayPal for years and my experiences have been good, overall. I had a payment for a t-shirt that was temporarily held up for a couple days, but everything worked out just fine. I have a personal account and a business account, both of which have credit cards, as well as bank accounts associated them. I'm sure PayPal can make mistakes as easily as any other financial institution, but when you hear people talking about how they've had multiple credit cards knackered by PayPal use, I think they're not really sure what the real problems were.

If you prefer not to use PayPal, I will accept cashier's checks, money orders or e-checks from your bank's online bill pay system. I no longer accept personal checks, which is not a reflection on anyone's honor or banking history. However, I do have $235 worth of bad checks (not counting bank fees, mind you) sitting here on my desk to remind me that defecation occurs. If you want to mail a cashier's check or money order, contact me via Private Message and I will get you an mailing address. If you want to use your bank's bill pay system (and no, it absolutely does NOT have to be set up as a recurring payment), contact me via Private Message and I can get you an account number (in case your bank requires it) and a mailing address. In spite of baseless allegations raised against me by a former member of this site, I do try to make donations as easy as possible for everyone. If you have questions, drop me a Private Message and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back