Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Some days you get the Bear.......

donsrods

and some days he gets you. :eek:

Ever since we finished up my Kids T it has been plagued with little problems. One contributing factor is that we built it in 88 days, trying to make Turkey Run in Daytona in November. I think we rushed through things a little too fast.

The first problem we had was with his engine. It's a 30 over 302 Ford that we originally were building for his Capri drag car. It is just a little too radical for the street to be honest. It's a full roller engine with way too much cam and too much head work and way over carburated with two fours. It idles like a fuel dragster, but he likes it that way.

As soon as we fired it up one of the polylocks on a roller rocker loosened up. After a lot of research we found we needed longer studs on the rockers and shorter pushrods. Got that done and engine ran fine.

Next problem was that the chromed Speedway steering arm on the Flaming River box rounded out the teeth that engage the sector shaft. We figured it was just that we didn't tighten down the arm enough, so we overnighted a brand new one in. Finally got the bugs out of the car and as we were driving to Daytona I see smoke coming off of Don's tires, he was on the brakes REAL hard. He pulled over and tells me there is a loud ticking from the engine. Pulled a valve cover off and found one valve snapped off, so I towed him off of the interstate and we rented a U haul trailer to tow it 100 miles back home. He parked it and drove to Daytona in his family car.

When we got back we pulled the head and took it to a machine shop to have the bad valve replaced. Luckily, the valve only slightly touched the piston, so no damage was done. Buttoned up the engine and I took it for a test ride. That is when the NEW steering arm snapped in half on me. Luckily I was going slow and the car went to the right on off of the road without damage.

During all of this, he also had a handling problem. The rear end was hopping around quite a bit. I followed him one time and the bed was shaking up and down violently. I put a set of tires and wheels on from another car I have and the shaking stopped. Today I took all four tires to a friends shop because he has this fancy $ 30,000.00 tire machine. Find out one brand new Wheel Vintique wheel on the back is bent. I called Coker and they are sending a pickup tag and will replace it. However, I have to repaint the new wheel when it comes and go through the mounting and balancing routine again.

Needless to say, my Son is pretty discouraged with hot rods and is worried what the next problem will be. We have built a ton of cars together over the years and never had any problems like this. What is really discouraging is that he bought the best of everything he could find to the tune of over $20,000.00 in parts. There isn't one item on the car that isn't brand new or totally rebuilt.

So, tomorrow night he and I are going to start from scratch and realign and go over every part of the car to make sure it is right. I feel bad for him and sure hope all of this stuff stops soon.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Don

Thats a lot of problems, sounds like Murphys been working overtime at your place. I hope thats the end of it and everything gets straightened out.

Don, I feel for you guys because you guys do such great work. I'm sorry all those bugs crept up, but the season isn't even in swing yet and better to fix now, than when everyone else is telling you what a great time they are having.

Here's to you guys getting her on track.;)

Don, I feel sorry for your son. That's a really nice car. I'm sure once all the bugs are worked out, he will enjoy the car and cruising with Dad. Sometimes this happens. I know of one other case where the problems almost caused a friend to through in the towel. After a couple of weeks and the help of 4 friends, everything was fixed and he now he couldn't be happier with his bucket. Tell your son to hang in there. The best is yet to come.

Ron

Thanks guys for the encouragement. :D This car has been very strange from the beginning, it fought us every step of the way. Like I mentioned, I think the time crunch of trying to build it in 90 days burned us all out. The three of us would meet at the shop every night and work until 2 am or so. I never want to see another McDonalds burger again in my life. :eek:

Even stuff that should be simple became problems. I spent one week trying to get a set of pulleys that would line up.........he was converting from serpentine belt to v belt, and even March Pulleys couldn't tell us what would work. Finally had to use a combination of different brand stuff to get it to line up and clear everything.

Well at least the rush to get it done is over, now we just have to take our time and start at square one.

Don

Mc Donalds!?:eek: No wonder! Man, you need a "What-A-Burger" to do a hot rod right!:D I can mail ya a few.:lol: It's a Texas thang.

donsrods said:
What-a-burger. Is that like the old Henway joke? What's a Henway? Oh, about 3 pounds. :lol::D

Don

Best dang burger west of tha Mississippi!:D Good for the head.

whataburger.jpg

You gain 5 pounds just pulling into the parking lot!

The guy that owns Whataburger...

has a Chevy "woody" wagon built by Jesse Greening in Culman, Alabama. He calls it "Whatawoody." I was fortunate enough to ride along on the shake down cruise of that car while I was there checking on the build of my son's '32. It is one sweet ride.

Re: The guy that owns Whataburger...

I drove 2 hours one way to Whataburger for my daughters birthday, thats what she wanted.

VegasBruce said:
I drove 2 hours one way to Whataburger for my daughters birthday, thats what she wanted.

I was stationed in San Diego for three years and didn't come home. Having waaay to much fun. When I did come home on leave, Whataburger was the first place I stopped. Even before going to my parents house!:eek: Whataburger rules!

Don, one thing you guys will have in your favor is that you now know how things go together. It should rebuild pretty quick.

tfeverfred said:
I was stationed in San Diego for three years and didn't come home. Having waaay to much fun. When I did come home on leave, Whataburger was the first place I stopped. Even before going to my parents house!:eek: Whataburger rules!

Don, one thing you guys will have in your favor is that you now know how things go together. It should rebuild pretty quick.

but come on! California has In and Out burgers! The very best!:D

tfeverfred said:
Mc Donalds!?:eek: No wonder! Man, you need a "What-A-Burger" to do a hot rod right!:D I can mail ya a few.:lol: It's a Texas thang.

AMEN Fred. What-A-Burger is the best. Have to through in a plug for Blue Bell ice cream too....lol.

Don,

Take a look at all of the major auto manufacturers. They spend millions upon millions of dollars on designers, engineers, computers, test tracks, research and development labs and they still screw up and have to have massive recalls on their products.

So, how in the heck are a couple of guys and a calculator supposed to hit on perfection the first time around??? :D

George

LumenAl said:
but come on! California has In and Out burgers! The very best!:food:
We have In and Out in Vegas too' but Whataburger in in Kingman AZ. only two hous away. Its worth the drive.

Enough of this.... I'm gonna go have a hot dog!

Ron

Sounds good, I'm gonna have corndogs though.

I wonder if the Whataburger in Sanford, Florida is still there? First place I hit as a sailor on payday with my '55 Chevy in '66. Yup, I'll have a deluxe with fries and a shake. Thank you!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back