Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Starting a new build

SPD500

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Ok , so I am starting a new build and have tons of questions . I have looked over your site and those of other vendors and now have more questions than before I started . I guess the first and most important question would be about the MSO . If I order the body and various bracket and stuff from a vendor does that qualify to get an MSO for the build , or is that only available to the guys ordering the kits ?

I am planning on using the Youngster's frame design and was planning to build it a little wider to make more room for the starter and other accessories because I read on here that it can be difficult to fit everything in the narrow frame rails . But , I see where Cooter and a couple other people had to channel the body on the outside to get it to fit . I don't want to have to do that , just personal preference , I want to be able to only channel the firewall area . So , I am going to need to know the dimension of the body I will be using before deciding on the frame width . I would prefer to not have the body delivered before the frame is built because right now I don't have the room to store it anywhere in the shop .

I am also wondering the cost of shipping the body to me in the Houston area and if it can be shipped to my house or if I need to have it go to a business ? None of the vendors are anywhere near me and I don't have time to drive to them to pickup a body or frame , that's the main reason I am going to build the frame myself instead of buying one already built .

Sorry for all the questions , just trying to get started on the right path before I start welding things together .

As for the channeling , I really prefer to be able to channel the full width of the firewall . I have seen several done that way and it gives a nice clean finished look in my opinion .

If you order a body, complete frame, and all the chassis stuff from us, then we issue an MSO. The MSO says we built the components and you assembled it. We can't issue one where you have built the frame, bought radius rods from others. We are taking responsibility for all those welds, not knowing how good they are.

Be careful making the frame wider, so stuff will fit inside, as other things have to fit outside also.

trucking companies don't like shipping to your house, so they charge a lot more to do that. It takes the driver longer to find your house than it does to find a business. Another option is to pick it up at the truck terminal.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss all of this.

Thanks for the reply . I am thinking I will have to go the SEMA title route in that case , I don't want to order a complete kit . I will try to give you a call sometime this week to discuss ordering and shipping options for my needs . I can have delivery to a local business, or I can pick up at the terminal on a day off if needed .

Also , I saw a body where the builder offered a insert for the interior , but I didn't see that as an option on your page . Is this something that is available , or is there a reason this isn't a good idea ?

I am a FIRM believer in having the body BEFORE you build the frame. I would then build the frame out of 2x4's first to see how everything fits and then get your tubing and weld it all up to match your wood pattern. As for the size of tubing, some use 2"x 4" x 1/8" but I much prefer 1 1/2"x 3"x 3/16".

Jim

Last edited:
I have been doing a lot of reading and looking around , and am starting to think I almost have to get the body here before I can get started on the frame build to get the results I expect . I am seeing all different dimensions for the firewall width on the fiberglass bodies . I will just need to start trying to compare everyone's bodies and find out what it will cost to ship from or another .

Yep, SPD, and bodies don't always come out per spec. Bummer to plan from maker's dimensions and what you get isn't quite what you built the frame to fit. Fiberglass particularly seems to change with the weather and how big a night the workers had...:sneaky:

We use 2" x 3" x 3/16" wall for all of our T bucket builds. For the rat rod truck frames and model A frames we use
2" x 4" x 3/16"........ All of the frames are 26.5" wide front to back

I will be giving you a call tomorrow during business hours to talk about it

I got your shipping quote, and to the terminal it would be $101.00 A lot less than trying to pick it up.

Think about ordering, the front axle assembly and other heavy stuff as it can go inside the body and ship for next to nothing.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back