Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

STAY SAFE !!

JeffK

Thoughts and prayers for Fred an any other Bucketeers that may be in the path of the impending storm (Hurricane Harvey) . Stay high & dry guys!!!

Thoughts and prayers for Fred an any other Bucketeers that may be in the path of the impending storm (Hurricane Harvey) . Stay high & dry guys!!!
Amen to that! Fred, is the garage where you keep your car prone to flooding?o_O

Amen to that! Fred, is the garage where you keep your car prone to flooding?o_O

Not really, but that's famous last words.

Houston is getting a rain event. Normal precautions in place.

The weather service is saying Houston could see as much as 60" of rain this week.
Good Lord!!! Thats incredible...

So, I had to be at work at 5am. No rain. No problem. I live about 3 miles from work. When I pulled into the parking lot, I knew something was wrong because there were only 3 cars there.:eek: At first, I thought we were shut down and I didn't get the call. I arrive at my supervisors office and he says we're good to go. HUH!?

I work as a receiving clerk at Grocers supply. On an average Sunday, we unload 8,500 cases of meat products. About 20 tractor trailers. So, I kinda laughed and started my paper work. After an hour, 2 trailers pull up. My supervisor shows up a couple hours later (took 2 hours to unload the trucks. Normally that would have taken 45 minutes) and says this is all we're going to do today. We'll get the rest tomorrow. Fine. They're going to pay the people who showed up, double! CAR PARTS! So, I step outside and the street is under a foot of water! That's a foot in about an hour.

I finish my paper work, thinking how tomorrow is going to be busy with double the trailers. OVERTIME = car parts!:D I waited a while, maybe an hour and the rain stopped and the water drained enough to get out. I get to an intersection and I'm 2 miles from home. The south side of the 4 lane street is still under water and NOT draining. So, I drive on the opposite side of the street (wrong way), until I get to the turn leading to my apartment. That's when I saw my street under 3' of water.

Now it's decision time. Do I abandon my car and wade home or drive back to work and leave my car in the parking lot (on high ground), where it'll be safe and walk the 3 miles home? I chose the later. Finally get to my street, remove my NEW boots, hold my phone and wallet in my hands and wade home. The shop ( I have a small apartment on the second floor) is dry . It's on an upgrade and so is my T. My land lords apartment is at the base of the grade. His entire apartment has a foot of water in it. No flood insurance.

I call my supervisor and tell him, that unless a miracle happens, I won't be in tomorrow. I caught some news and more rain is on the way. So..... how was your day?

Last edited:
You showed wisdom in your actions today, Fred. Don't be a hero, and just wait it out!:thumbsup:

This is for Fred and everyone in the city of Houston and the outside lying areas. My thoughts and prayers have been sent out to you and all your loved ones.
Stay strong, help one another as much as possible, keep putting one foot in front of the other.

There will be a brighter day. God does not give you more than you can handle.

John

Good to hear first hand what its like, rather than all the over excited tv commentators. I was really glad to hear that you are safe and well.
G

No electricity is going to be a big problem. Wish I lived closer to offer Fred a place to stay awhile . . . :thumbsdown:

The water came down at about 6:30 yesterday evening, so I got a ride to get my car from work. Got a call last night to be at work at 7am, instead of 5. Only myself and a few others made it in. My name is on the "volunteer/crazy list", so I guess that's a good thing. They usually pay double time, if you make it in during an emergency. So, that will help, if it happens this time. The rain was light this morning, but by the time I left work, at 2 pm, it was harder and now had wind behind it. The streets in my area are draining and keeping up with the rain, but it's supposed to rain all night and into the morning. Reports say another 8"-12" headed this way.

Working is my best therapy. I'd really hate being home, watching the news. Most of the shelters are at capacity. A call has gone out for volunteers, but all the freeways are pretty much shut down, so a lot of people who could help, can't make it into where they'd do some good. 2 hospitals have been evacuated. So far, I think the death toll is 5. Not bad considering.

The roads in my general area are clear, but nothings open, so there's really no reason to be out and about. With most of the freeways shut down, only a trickle of trucks made it in today. Which was a good thing considering the small crew we had assembled. We still aren't shipping goods, so even if the grocery stores were open, they'd soon be empty of goods. I'm usually off on Wednesdays, but I'll probably work, if they let me.

Other than all that, I'm doing fine. I check the new every now and then, to keep updated. Plenty to eat, electricity and water. More than a lot of others, unfortunately. Well, that's my update for the day. Oh.... the picture Ron posted looks to be on the northern edge of downtown. That's where Buffalo bayou flows through downtown. If that's where I think it is, the edge of the bayou is normally about 40'below the street sign and roadway.

So far, Houston has gotten about 40" of rain in the last 3 days. Most of it Saturday and Sunday.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back