Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

steel '21 T roadster

Youngster

VIP
VIP Member
look what came to live in my shop today

177.jpg

New puter won't let me post but one pic at a time ...

176-1.jpg

... and the extra parts ...

175.jpg

I welded up a set of P&J ladder bars for a guy and he traded this for $100 plus cash for 4 hours labor.

Ron

Opps ... didn't mention it came with a clear Minnesota title!!!!!!!

Very cool :cheer:

Looks like a great project. I know that steel is getting harder and harder to find and to get a clean title with it, it will be well worth the effort. I'm a fan of real steel buckets.
Good Luck!

There you go
Its something that guys inn the UK would rip their arms off for.

Got an sketches or drawing of what you have in mind?

Gerry

Not really sure what to do with it. I would love to build an early '30's soup job as my Grandpa called them. Modified Model A frame with A running gear. Got most of that already. I'm thinking it sould be built as something other than a SBC powered T. There's a couple going on on the HAMB now. Looks like fun to me.

Ron

That would be cool youngster with your frame "A" front axle, banjo rearend , flathead 3 speed all paint no chrome on the motor,stopsign floor boards,minimal interior,a cool logo on the side and just seal the body in primer or something flat ,oval fuel tank with the round bracket mount tail lights.wire wheels, and low as she will go.

Thinking more like

gloss black weathered paint

body mostly straight with turtle deck and not channeled

Frame dropped 5" in front, 6" kick in the rear

Model A 4 cyl, 3 speed and A banjo rear

17" whells in front, 18" on the rear

outside exhaust

Holly 94, shaved head and Mallory distributor

stock seating with oval tank in stock possition under the seat

'32 steering box

Nothing later than '34 manufacture. This is what the "kids" where building up through the WWII years. They were known as soup or gow jobs. Cheap and easy to build with cast off parts.

Ron

That sounds great . Ron is the stock 4 cyl enough to pull the car. Or were you thinking something newer.

It would be a town car for sure. A stock model A was good for around 45 or 50 mph. The rear end I have is a 4:11 so it'll get there pretty quick. Shaving the head .040 will raise the compression to about 6:1. That's as far as I want to go with a babbited crank and rods. There are still reground cams available too. I also have a '28 Chevy head (ohv) that can be adapted with a Jern kit. That should get 20 to 25 more horses. With any luck that might get (hahaha) 55 to 65 hp out of it.

Do ya think I'll need seatbelts??

Ron

It all sounds cool. I love the look of the old OHC motor its so mechanical looking its got a very good look.

Well I couldn't stand it anymore. Sat. the ol' girl was callin' out, "Help me!!" So here we go. After looking her over for the worst pannel, I decided to start with the passenger cowl. There hasn't been any sort of support for the sheet metal for a very long time and the sill or pannel under the door was bent all out of shape. This 90 year old has it's share of cancer too.

This is what I started with;

004-1.jpg

You can see the rust. There were also 3 fatigue cracks. On top of that someone tried to remove some dents with what looks like a 4lb. sledge. Oh well ......

Ron

After a 9 hour session this is what it looks like now. There's a couple low spots that will shrink out just fine with a torch. Wouldn't ya know it, I'm out of oxy for my torch. Might as well finish the patching first. The point is to bring the metal back where a good coat of surfacer will level everything out.

Here she is with all the patches welded up. Managed to save about 60% of the original pannel.

005.jpg

Ron

I had to see if the ajacent parts fit OK ....

006.jpg

Not too bad! Door is off a bit but it's sprung. I have another coming to try.

Ron

Ron.
Youre a brave man. Thats a lot of work but at the end you will have a STEEL T.

Not green just admiring
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back